Where the Streets Have No Names

thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
edited June 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Here is one of the more beautiful sunsets I've witnessed in Seattle. The shot was taken from Rizal Bridge. You're looking at downtown with Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains in the background. The FG is the merging of I-90 and I-5, which serve as great leading lines into the city.

Sony A-900 & Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 lens. Bracketed exposures combined in Photoshop.

553726894_tWjCs-X2.jpg
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Great capture, Mahesh!! That sky is simply amazing!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Very nice Mahesh!! You did a great job with this one!!

It is also nice to see another Alpha shooter here. The A900 is sweet! I also really like your sig line.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Very nice!
    Blending The Arts!
  • Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Hell of a shot! But, it still doesn't beat one of the other ones I've seen from you from a similar vantage point? You know the one I mean, Mahesh? It's the one you featured in your art show awhile back.

See? I pay attention! mwink.gif
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    NugBlazer wrote:
    Hell of a shot! But, it still doesn't beat one of the other ones I've seen from you from a similar vantage point? You know the one I mean, Mahesh? It's the one you featured in your art show awhile back.

See? I pay attention! mwink.gif

Laughing.gif! Yes, I know that image you're talking about. Maybe I'll post it in a few days. :)

Thanks for your comment and kind words.

Mahesh
    edited June 3, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Very nice Mahesh!! You did a great job with this one!!

It is also nice to see another Alpha shooter here. The A900 is sweet! I also really like your sig line.

Ron

Thanks, Ron! Ya, the a-900 is awesome. I've even dropped it once on hard stone and it's still tickin'. Can't say that for the Zeiss 24-70 lens hood however. Thank God I had the lens hood on. Otherwise, the lens itself would probably have been busted.

Mahesh
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Jeez, this is stunning, great lighting, great long exposure effect of the light trails, and great composition. Print this one big. You thought of sending this to the Seattle Tourism websites or Chamber of Commerce? Might be able to get some promotion out of it. Nice sig line, I agree, I don't understand shooting JPEG only. I do for snapshots, but for serious stuff, why not RAW. What were the shutter speeds on the three shots?

-Andy
    edited June 3, 2009
    Chris, J,

Thanks a bunch for your comments. :)

Mahesh
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Stunning !
    wonderful job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited June 3, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Jeez, this is stunning, great lighting, great long exposure effect of the light trails, and great composition. Print this one big. You thought of sending this to the Seattle Tourism websites or Chamber of Commerce? Might be able to get some promotion out of it. Nice sig line, I agree, I don't understand shooting JPEG only. I do for snapshots, but for serious stuff, why not RAW. What were the shutter speeds on the three shots?

-Andy

Thanks, Andy! Maybe I'll take your advice and send a copy to the Seattle chamber of commerce. :)

The 3 shutter speeds were 2, 4, and 8 seconds. I used the 2 second to maintain color in the sky, the 4 second for the shadow detail, and the 8 seconds for the streaky effect on the tail and head lights.

I always shoot in RAW, even if I'm just "messing around". I can't tell you how many times I've had good shots when I least expected it. So, since such occasions are unexpected, I always keep my setting on RAW. :)

Mahesh
    edited June 3, 2009
    Awais,

Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the shot. :)

Mahesh
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Thanks, Andy! Maybe I'll take your advice and send a copy to the Seattle chamber of commerce. :)

The 3 shutter speeds were 2, 4, and 8 seconds. I used the 2 second to maintain color in the sky, the 4 second for the shadow detail, and the 8 seconds for the streaky effect on the tail and head lights.

I always shoot in RAW, even if I'm just "messing around". I can't tell you how many times I've had good shots when I least expected it. So, since such occasions are unexpected, I always keep my setting on RAW. :)

If anything I bet a micro stock or stock company would be interested in this.

-Andy
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    stunning! thats the one thing I miss moving up here to the country...nice, dramatic cityscapes.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Nice shot. I'm not much for cityscapes but this is a very well done image thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...