Foothill College Dance Production

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in People
My friend bravely joined the community college dance company; this company is composed of students and people around the neighborhood who have the desire and love to dance. The show also features numbers from the local high schools, at-risk youth organizations and community groups because of they have no opportunities to perform for an audience of 1000+.

I knew that I had to watch the production (one night only!) when I received the invite, but my first question to my friend was about the camera policy. Unfortunately, he informed me that cameras were not permitted since the audience tended to flash the performers. However, I persisted, and somehow, got permission to shoot the full dress rehearsal, but the performance itself.

Details: 40d/20d. 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.0. I wished I had faster glass and more light from the staging. Shooting conditions -- very harsh and not easy.
Rehearsals: --20d: 50mm, manual focus on a tripod in the middle of the theater, wireless -remote triggered. --40d: 85mm: running around the theater
Production: --40d, 135mm --20d: 85mm. I shot 99% of the shots from my seat and a about three shots the isle (with permission). I had permission to move around a bit more, but I did not want to bother the people around me and their enjoyment of the show. It was sold out!

These frames are from a mixture from both nights. The theme for this year was “One Beat, One World” and the performance basically contained a bit of everything – ballet, jazz, hiphop, opera, belly dancing, etc. with a few singers mixed in. The troop contained 96 performers…

#1: Ballet Solo.
549296559_8ufDC-L-1.jpg
#2: Chinoise Suite....a Bridge of Birds: Bubba Gong, Director. He's the one that keeps on fighting to keep the production alive each quarter for the kids/adults and it's getting harder with the budget battles in CA.
553786077_8CaEE-L.jpg
#3: Group Dance -- can't remember the song
553786160_V5fqz-L.jpg
#4: Lots of energy for the hip hop solo
553786215_izb5R-L.jpg
#5: Bubba. I just like the angles of the light with respect to his arms.
553786280_4dRKg-L.jpg
#6: Flag and riffles in the dance troop too; they threw a lot of things high up and far
553786324_5BqNw-L.jpg
#7: Solo
553786342_LyKCz-L.jpg
#8: Bubba is so sweet – He has his mom dances in one number!
553786596_tZrZL-L.jpg
#9: I think this is to Single Ladies
553786653_EZZzg-L.jpg
#10: A girl's number to Britney’s Circus
553786129_23JPh-L-1.jpg
#11: Singer's too! Nessa Dorma (Puccini) solo
553786745_PhhKq-L.jpg
#12 Flags
553786036_gwCS4-L.jpg
#13 Running across the stage with fans
553786000_oD8or-L.jpg

I must say that I was surprised by the performance and did not expect this quality from the local community college. It is nowhere near the production quality or technical proficiency of a Broadway show in terms of staging, lighting, props, etc, but the energy and passion of the performers are unparallel and unmatched. With the trouble economy of CA, I hope that Bubba is able to continue these productions. I discover that Bubba attempts to produce three shows a year, but with the budget cuts, it’s now only two shows. I know the kids/adults and community will be not be the same without them....

C&C welcome and appreciated…

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    these are some great capturesthumb.gifthumb.gif

I really get a sense of energy from them! The noise doesn't even bother me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    #1 and #3 are incredible.
    1 is so beautiful and I love the processing- did you add texture or is that from the noise?

#3 Actually the thing I like the most is the crop. It really makes you have a feeling of infinity to have the crop like it is... What a fun shot with lots of energy.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Nice work April! thumb.gif
    And congrats again on the sales! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    The photography is great. The idea of a woman singing "Nessun Dorma", however.....boggle. (it's a tenor aria!!) eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Seriously, the pictures are great. And boy, you may feel your glass isn't fast enough but given the only one I have is the 85mm I'd KILL for that lineup of lenses (especially the 135)! I'm coveting a 50mm 1.4 at the moment....

I really like 4, 8 and 9. Great job!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    these are some great capturesthumb.gifthumb.gif

I really get a sense of energy from them! The noise doesn't even bother me.
    Thanks! I was hoping hoping to convey the energy that the dancer were giving off.

As for the noise, i believe some of it was noise (shooting ISO 1600) while the rest is a mixture of lighting tricks, remains of smoke, and a background scrim that seeing better days.
    edited June 3, 2009
    #1 and #3 are incredible.
    1 is so beautiful and I love the processing- did you add texture or is that from the noise?

#3 Actually the thing I like the most is the crop. It really makes you have a feeling of infinity to have the crop like it is... What a fun shot with lots of energy.
    Thank you so much for the feedback!

#1 actually have very little post done other than to straight the horizon, crop, and up the contrast a bit. The texture is from the smoke, and the lights reflecting off the particles in the air. The background artifacts are from a scrim.

The show was a bit bizarre with the mixture of elements. How often you hear Britney Spears and Puccini in the same hour? However, the energy and the support of the fans made up for everything.
    edited June 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The photography is great. The idea of a woman singing "Nessun Dorma", however.....boggle. (it's a tenor aria!!) eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Seriously, the pictures are great. And boy, you may feel your glass isn't fast enough but given the only one I have is the 85mm I'd KILL for that lineup of lenses (especially the 135)! I'm coveting a 50mm 1.4 at the moment....

I really like 4, 8 and 9. Great job!
    I was thinking of you and Rutt during the shoot and was thinking -- How would they shoot this? What's the framing? What angles work? What would they do to show off the performers?

As for the signing/production value --- a pro like you would been shaking your head throughout the entire evening and not just at "Nessum Dorma". I believe at rehearsals, she was mic'ed for an theater that holds a little over a thousand. However, you couldn't believe the energy and the joy of the performers. In the end, that mattered to me the most... I really hope that this program isn't cut because the arts, no matter the level, needs to be supported and encouraged.

I think for you, save up for the 135mm before the 50mm f/1.4 since you have the 50mm f/1.8 (if I remember correctly). I have photographed a handful theater events and I find that I reach for my 135mm and 85mm. I only really want the 50mm if I'm doing wide stage compositions, headshots or staged positions.

P.S. I think I will be thinking of you again this Friday night. SF Opera is doing a live simucast of "Tosca" at the ballpark where the Giants play. I'll be freezing to death, but I'll have a smile on my face.
    edited June 3, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice work April! thumb.gif
    And congrats again on the sales! clap.gif
    Thanks! This was actually my first shoot on spec, but since I was going to be there anyways, I decided to put the photos up for sale (with permission) for a very low cost (on purpose).

My original plan all along was to photograph the even from my seat if cameras were allowed. However, I was informed that cameras weren't allowed since the audience tended to use flash.

I then asked for further clarification, showed them of my photos, and before long, got invited to the rehearsals as well and was giving permission for the show itself.

I guess it pays to check the rules and to be nice when asking for permission.... :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I was thinking of you and Rutt during the shoot and was thinking -- How would they shoot this? What's the framing? What angles work? What would they do to show off the performers?

As for the signing/production value --- a pro like you would been shaking your head throughout the entire evening and not just at "Nessum Dorma". I believe at rehearsals, she was mic'ed for an theater that holds a little over a thousand. However, you couldn't believe the energy and the joy of the performers. In the end, that mattered to me the most... I really hope that this program isn't cut because the arts, no matter the level, needs to be supported and encouraged.

I think for you, save up for the 135mm before the 50mm f/1.4 since you have the 50mm f/1.8 (if I remember correctly). I have photographed a handful theater events and I find that I reach for my 135mm and 85mm. I only really want the 50mm if I'm doing wide stage compositions, headshots or staged positions.

P.S. I think I will be thinking of you again this Friday night. SF Opera is doing a live simucast of "Tosca" at the ballpark where the Giants play. I'll be freezing to death, but I'll have a smile on my face.

Oh my goodness - I'm not sure whether to be flattered or concerned that you're asking yourself how rookie me would shoot it!!! rolleyes1.gif Thanks for the vote of confidence - I sure appreciate it! thumb.gif

I would actually love the extra reach of the 135, but I just don't have the extra $ at the moment; I'm saving for it, that's for sure. I'm considering swapping my 85 1.8 for a 100 f2.0 until such time as I can afford the L (drool) but then I wonder if I'd miss that extra bit of light the 1.8 offers. Decisions, decisions... although since I have NO money at the moment (my 3rd cancellation for the year just happened last week when yet another opera company had to axe their season due to lack of funds :(:) this is, sadly, a somewhat theoretical discussion ...:nah rolleyes1.gif

And you know, for all the education and purism in the world, the energy and joy in doing it IS ultimately why it matters and to hell with the "shoulds". I'm thrilled to hear that. Given the state of the arts, and my branch of it in particular (see above), it's hard not to wonder if any of it will survive through this mess. What you write above gives me some confidence that maybe we'll all make it through with some kind of integrity, fuelled by the genuine passion for the artforms themselves.

Enjoy the Tosca :D