Best storage options?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking for a new hard drive, a storage drive mostly and I would like some of you opinions? I want to store massive amounts of photo's and leave my main drive as the windows system, I've been out of the pc geekdom for about 3 years now and I don't know whats out there

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I only use Seagate FreeAgent Pro externals or Hitachi internals with an Ultra external Case (fan cooled).....both are quiet which is essential for me as my workstation are in my bed room............they are also my music machines......

so I suggest a system of 3 drives for storage andif you have Scott Kelby's book Lightroom 2 (or 1) for Digital Photographers, he gives a great outline of how to properly store with minimum fuss......................

I have like 4 files.......RAW Straight Sff Card.......Changed to DNG.......LR to PS..........READY FOR PRINTER/WEB

everyting inside these folders is in subfolders by date shot and then my numbering of each file includes date shot + exposure number+ title (if I give it one)

This is on all 3 drives.....when I get to where I am 3/4 full I buy 3 more and I am ready for another few months......I never fill a drive up.....my 500gb ended at 425 gb.....my newer 1tb will end with about 1gb left........no special reason just what I do..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I only use Seagate FreeAgent Pro externals or Hitachi internals with an Ultra external Case (fan cooled).....both are quiet which is essential for me as my workstation are in my bed room............they are also my music machines......

so I suggest a system of 3 drives for storage andif you have Scott Kelby's book Lightroom 2 (or 1) for Digital Photographers, he gives a great outline of how to properly store with minimum fuss......................

I have like 4 files.......RAW Straight Sff Card.......Changed to DNG.......LR to PS..........READY FOR PRINTER/WEB

everyting inside these folders is in subfolders by date shot and then my numbering of each file includes date shot + exposure number+ title (if I give it one)

This is on all 3 drives.....when I get to where I am 3/4 full I buy 3 more and I am ready for another few months......I never fill a drive up.....my 500gb ended at 425 gb.....my newer 1tb will end with about 1gb left........no special reason just what I do..............
    Do you know of any other? I was kind of looking for a 500 gb plug and play usb type drive, so I could let my family members pick there own photographs on the spot. and or take it to colllege and show the teacher my digital work although I still need some improving.

Thanks a mill Art,
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Do you know of any other? I was kind of looking for a 500 gb plug and play usb type drive, so I could let my family members pick there own photographs on the spot. and or take it to colllege and show the teacher my digital work although I still need some improving.

Thanks a mill Art,

tHE SEAGATES are all plug and play and so are the Hitachis once in the Ultra case......I have had waaaay to many probs with western digital, maxtor and the others.....now that I am using multi back ups I have had absolutely no probs.....some of my seagates are headed for 7 yrs old.....time to replace as warranty is out.....

So far all my Seagates are 500 gb....the Hitachi's are 1tb ($89 at TIGHER DIRECT) so I could not pass that kind of deal.....I only buy on sale..........hate rebates......

Should be able to pick up seagates at any Best Buy store.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Thanks again ART, I saw something on seagate "which I own as well" on tv, new egg website a while back where it's an external drive, You can just plug it in down load all your files you want on it go to a friend's house, hook it up to your friend's pc, tv, projector, and make fun of him, "Although I wouldn't do that.

I can't remember what it was called though.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I'm with Art herethumb.gif

ATM for storage and backups I have two Seagate FreeAgent 500GB, and one Seagate Desk 1.5TB. I also have one Seagate 500GB Go portable. All external, USB.

I save my development work on an image, as I go, to one FreeAgent, then copies of RAW, conversion to TIFF, final development in TIFF, JPEG at max and for web files for an image, all to the 2nd FreeAgent, and I backup those files to the Desk 1.5TB.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix