DSS #27 How Many...

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
...Photographers Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb?

554287732_SDyp8-L.jpg

Okay, had this crazy idea while I was making dinner. Didn't get to eat until hours later!
So, what needs fixin'? Or should I scrap it and get back to brainstormin'?
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 4, 2009
    I think its a very creative idea! I have been looking at it awhile and the only "nits' that I see is that the lightbulb that the guy is screwing on is lit? At least it looks lit...might be the logo on the guys shirt being magnified. If it is lit then the rest of the bulbs should be lit...thus giving off an aluminous glow to the face of the one on the ladder.

Nice work on pp with this. virtually seamless!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    HA HA.........Lets see.. One to screw the light bulb in, and one to photograph him doing it and another to photograph him photographing the other and well you get the point..

Very creative Ben and I agree 100% with Jag nice processing.. very clean..

love the idea and it has character for sure...

I also agree with Jag on the light bulb.. it may be easier to just duplicate the layer and scoot that layer over and mask or erase in one of the bulbs that look like the other to fix it.. I am thinking that would be much easier than to illuminate all of them and the face.. but that is up to you on how much work you want to put into PS...

love it....thumb.gifbarb

Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Ok, I can't resist:

How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer A: One. She holds it, and the world revolves around her.
    Answer B: Three. One to change it, one to get the ladder and one to say, "I knew it would be too high for her"

/singer jokes

Wonderfully creative idea! Agree with the previous comments and would add - what's in Ladder Boy's right hand?

I especially love the three different hats :D
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    One to change it, one to build a softbox around it, and a third to post a video Youtube explaining how they built it. And a fourth to complain that that's not how they did things back in the film days ... :D

Totally off topic, but the other day I walked past a local news van as they were setting up for a story. They had out a big, professional-grade monolight, barn doors, the works. Attached to the whole thing was a series of strings and clothespins so that a dryer sheet could hang in front of the light and act as a diffuser ... rolleyes1.gif

Oh yeah, cool pic! thumb.gif
    edited June 4, 2009
    Dryer sheet? Hmmmmmmmmmm................

now that's an idea..
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Super cool idea! Go with it Ben.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I like it too! Great idea. Did you intend for the guy on the top of the ladder to have his hat shaved off a bit? (tiny nit)
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    LoriKTM wrote:
    I like it too! Great idea. Did you intend for the guy on the top of the ladder to have his hat shaved off a bit? (tiny nit)

I wondered how long before that was pointed out! Actually that bothered me too, and it was cropped slightly only after trying to correct for lens barrel distortion, which made me look like a conehead! Maybe I'll try working with the tranform tool in PS to "squash" it back down without the crop.

Suggestions on how to do that would be great!
    edited June 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Wonderfully creative idea! Agree with the previous comments and would add - what's in Ladder Boy's right hand?

I especially love the three different hats :D

Gotta love those musician jokes! Don't get me started on drummers Laughing.gif.

Ladder Boy is holding a single-use "Lomo" type camera, complete with green gel filter on the flash for funky (and slightly sickly) effects.

[stupid ramblings deleted by author. :D]

Also, the reason for the single illuminated bulb was that with all the bulbs lit up it was too bright and blew out my face and the chandelier. So I figured if I reversed it so that only the bulb I had just changed was lit, the same idea would come through. Guess I need to rethink (and probably reshoot). headscratch.gif
    edited June 4, 2009
    Well Ben, I mean Mr. Conehead....rolleyes1.gif

if ya don't reshoot it.. this is what I suggest on fixing the head..

open it up in PS.. and try to do this with the digital negative if you have one and not the JPEG, remember every time you open a JPEG and resave it further degrades the photo.. so you should always try to do your work on the original RAW, if you shoot in RAW....if not and you have to work on a JPEG then at least save as level 12 to reduce compression and do all of your cloning on a duplicated layer, then flatten the layers before saving.

so.,, open it up.. and go to > filter > Distort....... go down to edge and chose extension,, then scale it down to 99%, then save... this will give you the edge room to "clone" in the ceiling down around the cone head and flatten it out some...

Now you will notice that when you do this slight edge extension it will also do the same thing to the bottom of the picture, so you are going to have to crop it at the bottom just a tiny bit when finished..

there is how I would do it, although someone may know an easier way... that is the shortest fix route I know of, if you want to avoid cropping off more head...

Kat
  • LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    I wondered how long before that was pointed out! Actually that bothered me too, and it was cropped slightly only after trying to correct for lens barrel distortion, which made me look like a conehead! Maybe I'll try working with the tranform tool in PS to "squash" it back down without the crop.

I only mention it because the crop makes it look like your head is bumping into the ceiling (maybe it is!?) and you're having to crick your neck at an odd angle.
    edited June 4, 2009
    Looking at this again and taking Mark's funny seriously for a moment....

Is there any chance of a reshoot? Ladder Boy is fine (give or take hat adjustments), but I think it would be absolutely HILARIOUS to have one of the others holding a reflector, and the other maybe a lightmeter or something?

Ok, mind running rampant ... this is so clever!

Btw, what do you call a beautiful girl on the arm of a drummer?

Answer: A tattoo....

~ducks and runs~

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited June 4, 2009
    Here's one for classical musicians:
    How can you tell when a violist is playing out of tune?
    The bow is moving.

Okay, so the punch line I had in mind was something like this:
    How many photographers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Three. One to change the lightbulb, and the others to point out that it's not the lightbulb, it's the lightbulb changer.

But I kinda like the possibilities of Kat's and Mark's responses, with the other photog's too busy taking pictures to help. Diva, I like your idea of the reflector - maybe a better (or at least bigger) visual gag to make the point.

Thinking I'll reshoot and try to simplify the composition if possible - it's kinda busy perhaps. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm gonna work on this over the weekend and post the result.
    edited June 4, 2009
    Well good luck with it...

You really should try at least "one" version with then all snapping shots or something..I mean they are photogs... right? It may work or it may not.. would have to see it...

Whatever you do,, look forward to the final product...

The composition you got going already is awesome too with the expressions on their faces..:D

P.S.. Curious.. Did ya ever hear back from Donna in Nashville?

Kat
    edited June 4, 2009
    Thanks, Kat. :D And yes, I got an email invitation to the Nashville photo group and signed up to join them on the photo outing later this month. Thanks for the referral!
    edited June 4, 2009
    Had to share this one (being a part-time drummer myself)!

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    None. They have a machine to do that now.

rolleyes1.gif

So funny it hurts. Laughing.gif
    edited June 5, 2009
    That like just went way over my head.. I don't get it..eek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    edited June 5, 2009
    That like just went way over my head.. I don't get it..eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Laughing.gif - drummers are being replaced by drum machines!
    edited June 5, 2009
    But..but... I thought you were talking about light bulbs?

Just kidding..

I get it now...

Did I tell you my husband is a musician? I have to sit an listen to those drums on the Triton Korg all the time................................ rolleyes1.gif but then there are times I am thankful it is not a real drummer otherwise the noise would be even worse..rolleyes1.gif.

Bad enough my photo studio set up and his recording studio set-up are in the same room....rolleyes1.gif,, ohhhhh the noise..
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    One to change it, one to build a softbox around it, and a third to post a video Youtube explaining how they built it. And a fourth to complain that that's not how they did things back in the film days ... :D

Totally off topic, but the other day I walked past a local news van as they were setting up for a story. They had out a big, professional-grade monolight, barn doors, the works. Attached to the whole thing was a series of strings and clothespins so that a dryer sheet could hang in front of the light and act as a diffuser ... rolleyes1.gif

Oh yeah, cool pic! thumb.gif

yet another use for those used dryer sheets! cool, thanks!
    edited June 5, 2009
    It works too..clap.gif Tried it last night as a diffuser on a microphone I shot as a possible entry.. Will post it later today.. Mark is our "idea" man... always sharing techniques..thumb.gif

Kat
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    It works too..clap.gif Tried it last night as a diffuser on a microphone I shot as a possible entry.. Will post it later today.. Mark is our "idea" man... always sharing techniques..thumb.gif

Kat

Well, no. I'm just learning about light now myself. I just have somewhere around a $0 budget for my hobby, so anything that looks like it will work, I steal. I mean, adapt! mwink.gif

I'm eyeing some clamp work lights at Home Depot for next week's paycheck though! Just trying to figure out how to adapt them for some kind of diffuser or umbrella set up. thumb.gif

Sorry, Benjer, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :cry
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Well, no. I'm just learning about light now myself. I just have somewhere around a $0 budget for my hobby, so anything that looks like it will work, I steal. I mean, adapt! mwink.gif

I'm eyeing some clamp work lights at Home Depot for next week's paycheck though! Just trying to figure out how to adapt them for some kind of diffuser or umbrella set up. thumb.gif

Sorry, Benjer, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :cry

You can get a package of multi-sized clamps at Walmart for $8 - useful around the house as well as for photography, so a justifiable expense :D I also use dollar store clothes pegs for lighter items like reflectors, usually clipped to a music stand (works beautifully!). An old garment rack doubles as a background hanger when needed, but can also be a useful rail for lighting from above. A microphone stand works well to hold various bits and pieces such as clip lamps, gobos and diffusers (wooden rulers duct-taped to it as arms, with clothespegs attaching things). Cheapo velcro strips (dollar store) complete my sophisticated rig... :D

I did buy a hotshoe/umbrella attachment a few months back ($25), but I attach it to my monopod and use it as a lightstand until I can buy a real one.....

My budget is also $0 these days, since opera companies keep going bankrupt and taking my contracts with them!!! (3rd one this year - OUCH)

/further hijacking
    edited June 5, 2009
    Welcome to the Bargain Barn........

HA Ha... poor Ben,,,the shopping channel took over..:lol4:lol4:lol4:lol4

thanks for the list Diva.. Wow.. taking notes..thumb.gif
    edited June 5, 2009
    I'm not complaining - keep the "cheap as free" ideas coming y'all!

One quesiton: Bounce or Downy?
    edited June 5, 2009
    Benjer wrote:

Since we all appear to be poor, presumably Local Supermarket's Generic Version rolleyes1.gif

The REAL question is... used or fresh? Presumably used, since fresh they're all stiffened with the softener and wouldn't be so useful for diffusion purpose (??)

Ok, this has now reached heights of absurdity which make this thread's nomination to go in the DSS Hall of Fame a cert :D
    edited June 5, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    I'm not complaining - keep the "cheap as free" ideas coming y'all!

I admit.. It was Bounce for me... very pleasant smelling to work with too.. then eventually after a few fires.. I got a migraine.. I am thinking it may have diffused better had I washed and dried it out first too.. I posted my mic pic, go check it out.. it was shot with bounce..thumb.gif Thanks Again Mark..:D

Kat
    edited June 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Since we all appear to be poor, presumably Local Supermarket's Generic Version rolleyes1.gif

The REAL question is... used or fresh? Presumably used, since fresh they're all stiffened with the softener and wouldn't be so useful for diffusion purpose (??)

Ok, this has now reached heights of absurdity which make this thread's nomination to go in the DSS Hall of Fame a cert :D

==============

You are right Diva.. This is absurd we are discussing our fabric softener...rolleyes1.gif

What next..
    edited June 11, 2009
    Well as it turns out there is no chance of a reshoot for this round. So I'm stuck with the three amigos. Made some adjustments, posting the original and new version for comparison. Any final thoughts before making it official?

Original/New
    554287732_SDyp8-L.jpg561415575_BgoqM-L.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    The lighting on #2 is much improved. The only nit I have is very minor -- your foot is chopped off at the ankle. Is it possible to do a reshoot?

This is such a clever take on the theme! clap.gif