A profound experience

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited June 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Saw a Meunch Star Rainbow! Yesterday Barney and I spent about 4 hours hiking in Chester State Forest. Chester is a neighboring Hill Town to the town I live in. Rather than enter though the main access point, we drove several miles up an almost impassable dirt road to enter from a more remote location. I find being alone in the woods miles from other people to be a very peaceful, almost religious, experience. On returning to the Jeep we continued on the dirt road and came across a small burial ground dating to the early 1800's. I got out to take some photos but the headstones were mostly illegible so I passed on it. Then I noticed a narrow side road with an old sign hanging from a tree. The first shot is a close-up since the sun was above and to the right and I was afraid of flare using the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 lens.

553746768_ohXL7-L.jpg

Since the sun was shining through the branches, I thought I might catch a nice Meunch star so I backed up a bit, closed the aperture to f/22, composed and shot. What showed up in the image was not visible when I first approached the sign. If you love big cities, you probably won't appreciate this but if you love the woods, you'll get it.

554256936_BubG9-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    That's amazing. Nice work.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Wholly Molely.....Gotta love that star with colour shaft.......

ABSOLUTELY FRIGGING FANTASTIC
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Being a person who likes to get deep into the woods, this whole scenario strikes an almost mystical cord with me. The photo capture is really terrific. You've got to be pleased with this one.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    awesome capture!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    That's amazing. Nice work.

Thanks for looking and commenting SDB

Jack
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Howdy John,

WOWSER, that is just too neat, I was really taken with the Sign, how wonderful that must have to been to have wandered up upon that in that kind of setting, just one of those moments you never forget I'd bet.

Your Sun beam shot is done so well, I love how it runs diag. across the Prayer, just really really well done.

I think this is one of your finest!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Saw a Meunch Star Rainbow! Yesterday Barney and I spent about 4 hours hiking in Chester State Forest. Chester is a neighboring Hill Town to the town I live in. Rather than enter though the main access point, we drove several miles up an almost impassable dirt road to enter from a more remote location. I find being alone in the woods miles from other people to be a very peaceful, almost religious, experience. On returning to the Jeep we continued on the dirt road and came across a small burial ground dating to the early 1800's. I got out to take some photos but the headstones were mostly illegible so I passed on it. Then I noticed a narrow side road with an old sign hanging from a tree. The first shot is a close-up since the sun was above and to the right and I was afraid of flare using the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 lens.

Since the sun was shining through the branches, I thought I might catch a nice Meunch star so I backed up a bit, closed the aperture to f/22, composed and shot. What showed up in the image was not visible when I first approached the sign. If you love big cities, you probably won't appreciate this but if you love the woods, you'll get it.

Beautiful shot Jack clap.gif

I love the words to the Prayer.
    Marc would be proud, your Meunch Star completes the Poem thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited June 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Wholly Molely.....Gotta love that star with colour shaft.......

ABSOLUTELY FRIGGING FANTASTIC
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks so much Art, appreciate your looking and the nice comments.

Jack
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    bowdown.gif................................ azzaro
    edited June 6, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Being a person who likes to get deep into the woods, this whole scenario strikes an almost mystical cord with me. The photo capture is really terrific. You've got to be pleased with this one.

Tom

Hello my friend.
    I figured you could relate to this one. "Mystical" hits the nail on the head. There's just something about the deep woods that IMHO can't be experienced anywhere else. Thanks for the nice comment.

Jack
    edited June 7, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy John,

WOWSER, that is just too neat, I was really taken with the Sign, how wonderful that must have to been to have wandered up upon that in that kind of setting, just one of those moments you never forget I'd bet.

Your Sun beam shot is done so well, I love how it runs diag. across the Prayer, just really really well done.

I think this is one of your finest!!!

Thanks so much for those comments Craig. Figured you'd appreciate it.

Jack