A Meunch star rainbow

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in Landscapes
I have captured many Meunch stars but never observed this phenomenon. I believe that the light from the star underwent a second diffraction as it encountered the sharp edge of the bark diagonal to the upper right corner of the sign. The story behind this capture has been posted here but I thought the folk on this forum would enjoy the image. I am also interested to see other examples of this that you have captured (or to hear an alternate explanation.

554256936_BubG9-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Beautiful prayer and a beautiful image. I don't completely understand the defraction thing, but I can appreciate it.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Interesting effect (and a lovely image!) thumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful prayer and a beautiful image. I don't completely understand the defraction thing, but I can appreciate it.

Thank you very much Mahesh.

Jack
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Jack,

Very good choice of flares for this scene:D

I enjoy the prayer, having traveled through many woods myself.

Regarding the flare, I noticed that particular lens lends itself to some amazing looking flares because of its rather large outer element. The light is bounced between the second element and back into the inner surface of the outer element, or that is my guess. I have scene this in underwater housings where the housing dome usually 8" in diameter does the same thing.

If you take that lens and shoot straight into the sun at F22 you will see what I meandeal.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    wild shot Jack! thumb.gif (thats the extent to my helpfulness in your questions):D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Interesting effect (and a lovely image!) thumb.gifclap.gif

Thank you for looking and for the nice comment Nikolai

Jack
    edited June 6, 2009
    Jack,

Very good choice of flares for this scene:D

I enjoy the prayer, having traveled through many woods myself.

Regarding the flare, I noticed that particular lens lends itself to some amazing looking flares because of its rather large outer element. The light is bounced between the second element and back into the inner surface of the outer element, or that is my guess. I have scene this in underwater housings where the housing dome usually 8" in diameter does the same thing.

If you take that lens and shoot straight into the sun at F22 you will see what I meandeal.gif

Thanks Mark
    Not sure if that's what happened here as I've shot some other stars with this lens and not seen this effect.

Jack