Options

Parasitic wasp shots.

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited June 15, 2005 in Holy Macro
Last night while waiting outside for "Mo" the pizza delivery guy I noticed this rather long and skinny wasp buzzing around a tree. Ran inside and grabbed my camera and took these. They're not good macro shots I know, but I'm glad I could at least try. I've googled and haven't seen anything quite like it, anyone?

The wasp...

waspsm3ga.jpg

The long wispy tail was actually some type of depositor...

waspvsm9bv.jpg

Then this transparent thing popped out as it reached the target...

waspiism1cv.jpg

Closer...

wasptailsm5oa.jpg

One more...

waspvism0ow.jpg

Clearly it was laying eggs on some type of living host, but what?

AJ

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Very good shots of an amazing subject. Never seen anything like it, so can't help with ID.

Love the bit on the end of the body- guess it coils it's ovipositor in there when not in use.

Brian V.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 14, 2005
    very cool and peculiar subject! i've also never seen a bug that can do anything like that with its rear end :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Very good shots of an amazing subject. Never seen anything like it, so can't help with ID.

Love the bit on the end of the body- guess it coils it's ovipositor in there when not in use.

Brian V.
    Thanks Brian, I'm like yourself and have never seen anything like it before. ne_nau.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    very cool and peculiar subject! i've also never seen a bug that can do anything like that with its rear end :D
    I guess it's true about everyone/thing having a talent...headscratch.gif

And thanks Eric! thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Holy Wierdness Batman. Fascinating capture - aren't you glad you ran and got the camera? (also gave you a little exercise for the pizza eatin') 10944573-Ti.gif
  • Options
    WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Very cool shots! I haven't seen anything like it either - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Fascinating shots AJ. Great colours and sharp details. The only thing I can think of, is that it looks like it might be shedding its skin and you have caught it while its down to its tail. Other than that, I have no idea mwink.gif .

All the best AJ. Fine shots of neat behaviour. thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    No idea what it is, but I'm glad it's not in my yard. :) Very intersting pics.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Holy Wierdness Batman. Fascinating capture - aren't you glad you ran and got the camera? (also gave you a little exercise for the pizza eatin') 10944573-Ti.gif
    I sure am Phil, and thanks. I think I would have to run allot more than just to my apt. to work off one of their deep-dish pizzas... :eat

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Very cool shots! I haven't seen anything like it either - thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Rich, and I'm glad you enjoyed!

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    nzmacro wrote:
    Fascinating shots AJ. Great colours and sharp details. The only thing I can think of, is that it looks like it might be shedding its skin and you have caught it while its down to its tail. Other than that, I have no idea mwink.gif .

All the best AJ. Fine shots of neat behaviour. thumb.gif

Danny.
    It's a weird one, Danny. I've searched and found all kinds of tree-bark laying wasps, but none like this one...

Your words are appreciated Danny. thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    No idea what it is, but I'm glad it's not in my yard. :) Very intersting pics.
    Heh, thanks Thomas. :D One thing I read about parasitic wasps, is that they don't sting like most other wasps. Hardly a consideration if you don't like flying insects however....

AJ
  • Options
    cakanodecakanode Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    I got your ID here
    The insect you were photographing (and pretty good shots I might add) is a of the species MEGARYHSSA. I work at a wilderness school and saw a bunch last summer and was perplexed as you were. I did some research and found out more about them. They will not sting, but boy do they look menacing. Here is a link to some more info on the species:
    http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/Images/Hymenoptera/megarhyssa.html
    I hope this helps ease your curiousity.

C.K.
    www.cakanode.smugmug.com

"To change the world starts with one step--no matter how small the first is always hardest of all"---DJM
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Bingo!
    cakanode wrote:
    The insect you were photographing (and pretty good shots I might add) is a of the species MEGARYHSSA. I work at a wilderness school and saw a bunch last summer and was perplexed as you were. I did some research and found out more about them. They will not sting, but boy do they look menacing. Here is a link to some more info on the species:
    http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/Images/Hymenoptera/megarhyssa.html
    I hope this helps ease your curiousity.

C.K.
    That is just too cool!!!!! clap.gif Thank you very much for the ID, C.K. it is appreciated!!!! thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Hey those photos on that site were takin in waterford right near my house. Time to move.:help
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Aj
    I think it's a Ichneumon Wasp
    I have seen them around here too but rare good catch thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    I think I had her sister in my car today:D
    Nice captures AJthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Thanks everyone. thumb.gif Fred you are correct, here's another good link about them: http://www.cirrusimage.com/hymenoptera_ichneumon_megarhyssa_fem.htm

AJ