dss27 - pyro - Mr. Lonely

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited June 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
well here is my early entry. I'm heading to Israel on monday and won't be back until the 18th. I don't know what kinda of connectivity i'll have, hopefully i'll be able to post from there. But the camera is def. coming with :D

anyhow, here is my early attempt:
555327723_CgNmB-XL.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I like it - good detail in the crane (?) despite its brightness and the use of negative space works really well in the composition.

I might experiment with toning down some of the bright whites on the ground texture. I find some of the areas, especially where the detail meets the dark, so bright that they are pulling my eye away from the bird. But that might just be me.

Love the title too.

Virginia

Email
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    HI Pyro.. Lucky you getting to travel..:ivar we want pictures when you get back..

I like this a lot. It is very pretty.. I might experiment with the crops a little.. A smidgen too much headroom hear.. but only a little much.. so if you crop be careful not to take off too much. I like the way the water spills into the frame.. Nice..thumb.gif

Kat
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I always enjoy your design sense and the graphic quality of your images. And your use of negative space is effective and refreshing here, as usual. thumb.gif

My first thought on seeing this was that the crop could be tightened up just a bit. My feeling is there's just a little too much headroom, and I'd really like to see those distracting leaves on the right side disappear - they take away too much from the poetic simplicity of the lone bird and reflections.

If poetry is about the artful economy of words, your images typically have a similar striking visual efficiency and potency, as this image shows. Editing the extraneous bits will give it more visual punch, imo.

An afterthought: I'd be curious to see a less contrasty version for comparison, though I'm liking the extreme black and white here.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    my .02?

there are two dots out in the BG i would clone out...
    and me personally would clone out the right side brush.... give it the feel that hes out there all alone...

love the treatment and style your using
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 4, 2009
    oh.. I did not see those dots until Aaron pointed them out, but for sure they are there... looks like eyes lurking in the dark...lol

Ya know guys.. I just don't know about cropping out that plant.. My very first instinct was to say that, but then I blew it up and took a look at it cropped and it loses that "span feeling" of the water's directional spill into the frame...

How are your PS skills Pyro? perhaps you are better to duplicate the layer and mask some of that water back onto the plant instead of crop it...They have a point, it does distract..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 5, 2009
    I agree with Aaron and Kat - cloning is a much better approach here than cropping!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Cleaned it up per feedback. Thanks guys ;)
    edited June 5, 2009
    Looks Great...thumb.gif

Nice job... now that the plant is not sticking out and you don't have to crop in so far... I would clip in just a little on the right hand side there to reduce the tiny bit of blur from the cloning, just very little but enough to help..
    Just my best advice..

it looks great..Pyro. I like the contrast work you did on the conversion. Have a safe journey and bring back pictures..:D

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Cleaned up version looks great! thumb.gif Love your use of negative space.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Cleaned up version looks great! thumb.gif Love your use of negative space.

I really like it too :)

Have a good trip!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    OOOO...great image pyro! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Have a nice trip!
    edited June 5, 2009
    Excellent! thumb.gif
    edited June 7, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Excellent! thumb.gif

Thanks guys. I'm heading out tomorrow, and hopefully i'll have internet access to post =c)
    edited June 12, 2009
    this trip is so freaking awesome, and it's not even half way done. Will be posting pictures some time, too busy to do anything about them now.
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hey There Pyro.... sounds exciting.............thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Share them photos.. We want photos....:photo:baldy do you carry a laptop with photoshop on it with you?

Just wondering if you might be considering some of your shots from your trip as possible entries too?

Glad to hear your having a blast...wings.gifbarb

Kat
    edited June 12, 2009
    It's a possibility. I might have some downtime tomorrow to work on them. We'll see =c)
    edited June 12, 2009
    Awesome.. I can't wait... Hopefully you will find the time...

Think of all that possibility that is around you in a strange new land......
    hmmmmm, headscratch.gif

Your one lucky Photog............mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif
    edited June 13, 2009
    what do you guys think about this one?

dove.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Very, very artistic. I like the small accents of light on the black thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    The newest one is a cool shot, but I still like your first one better.

Hope you're having an awesome trip.

Sherry
    edited June 13, 2009
    Hey Pyro.. I like it.. are you going to be able to change your entry if you choose too? I am only assuming you have PS to edit and ready a new photo from where you are at, but I could be wrong.

I like this one, especially with a slight crop at the top and a little more grey tease and highlighting around the window, if you could do that with a brush and this way you don't light the bird up too much in the process..

That's my take,, I really favor it.. I think your crane is beautiful too, but it is a more common shot than this one.. this has more personality to it, in my opinion and it can also work with the title you already gave the crane too...

What else you got?

I wanna see........ I bet your having an awesome time...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 14, 2009
    Well, I just got back from the entry gallery Pyro and I came here to the thread to
    post an edit on what I said. I think I like your current entry better..

BUT......... then you posted the rework on the new one.. and it is beautiful......

This new one is unique... more unique than a crane shot... and it has a ton of character.... and the crane, although a more common shot has the stark contrast going for it.. so I am stuck... I will say this though... I can see clearly were you cloned it out off to the side of the water and that keep bugging the heck out of me.. I can see the definite blurring in that area and it is distracting.. so that may be the tie breaker for me..

I choose this one if you cant fix that clone job.. either that or put the one that had the leaf before cloning back in...

Your rework is superb.. I favor this one more and more personally..

You are further along that me,, I am still stuck on my entry..

sorry for the grammar.. I am in a hurry..mwink.gif

Hard choice; great work to chose from..thumb.gif

Kat