Going old school - Canon 1D

bikelantabikelanta Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Cameras
Speed. It's what I'm looking to find. I've been trolling the boards, reading the websites, trying to find the appropriate solution. I find these days that much of what I shoot is moving...sometimes quickly. My current body is a Canon XTi. I'm finding that the AF isn't quite keeping pace. Sometimes I compensate by prefocusing and waiting for my target to pass through that spot, but I don't always find this the best solution. I've been shooting water sports, motorcycles, a soap box derby, kids, and a various other moving objects.

So, here's the question. Any thoughts on the original Canon EOS 1D? I'd love to move up to something like a 1D MKII or even a 5D, but both are out of my price range, as are things like a 30D/40D/50D. Besides, those latter ones have more pixels, but my research indicates they don't focus as quickly or aren't designed for speed as much as a 1D is. After researching it seems like the original 1D could be the best current solution. It has plenty of AF points, sounds like it focuses quickly, has plenty of customization features, and is a pro body. It also appears that with careful research I could pick one up for around $500 or less. I understand that we're only talking 4.2 megapixels, but my reality is that an unfocused 10 megapixel photo is worse than an in-focus 4.2 photo. Besides, I don't blow things up to poster size...at least not yet.

Anyway, plus or minus experiences with the original 1D from those that have used one?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

T.J.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Focus speed is also highly dependent on your lens. What lens are you using with your XTi? If find a huge difference in focus speed between a kit lens and say an L lens.

The XTi has the same focus system as the 30D, so it isn't all that shabby itself. More focus points help for sure, and other aspects such as frames per second, and buffer size will be a factor in actually taking the shot, but not sure how useful they are in finding focus.

Will wait for those with direct experience to chime in here.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    T.J., please review my response here as much would apply to you as well:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1122148&postcount=9
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bikelantabikelanta Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thanks cmason and ziggy. I hadn't found your previous posting Ziggy, both because 1D is too short to search via Dgrin and even using Google with "site:dgrin.com" brings up too many MKII, MIII, 1Ds, etc articles. It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

In regards to lenses, I have the Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, the 50mm f/1.8 II, and the Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6. Lately though, what I've been able to shoot have been a borrowed Canon 17-40mm f/4L and the Canon 70-200 f/4L. The change in lenses has certainly been fun, but hasn't stopped me from considering this 1D purchase. Since much of what I'm working on is getting the time right to grab peak action moments, I gravitate towards that 1D, both for the aforementioned focusing speed, tracking, and the 8 fps.

There are two on KEH.com right now for less than $400, though they are rated BGN. I'll need to call to find out actual condition. Exterior condition doesn't bother me if the electronics all work well and $350 is a pretty good bargain it seems to me for the capabilities of that body.

I've read a few articles commenting that battery life may be lacking. Any experience here?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    bikelanta wrote:
    ... There are two on KEH.com right now for less than $400, though they are rated BGN. I'll need to call to find out actual condition. Exterior condition doesn't bother me if the electronics all work well and $350 is a pretty good bargain it seems to me for the capabilities of that body.

I've read a few articles commenting that battery life may be lacking. Any experience here?

While the Canon 1D is still a very competent body, do understand that you are considering something very old. The main parts that will degrade with cycles and age are the moving parts, notably the shutter box and the mirror box assemblies. If one or the other should fail, it is likely that Canon would insist replacing the other at the same time. Repairs could be around $650 or so (I haven't checked recently.) I'm not saying it would need repairs, you just need to be aware.

A 1D MKII would be a much better choice overall and that is the body I use. The extra resolution and still very good speed are definite benefits, as are the imager improvements. The 1D is still a very good body however.

The 1D does use up batteries faster than the subsequent bodies in the 1D/1Ds line partly because of the image processor used and partly because of the use of a CCD rather than CMOS technology for the imager.

One benefit of the CCD is that the 1D is the only professional Canon dSLR that can sync flash to 1/500th. All the rest of the Canon dSLRs will only sync to 1/250th (or 1/200th in the case of the xxxD models.) (There is a recent development in radio slaves that allows shorter sync in some instances, but it is emerging technology so fairly expensive and not completely without complications.)

I'm not sure how much information KEH will give about a particular camera body, but they have a very reasonable (IMO) return or exchange policy.

Batteries are also fairly expensive for this camera but that's fairly true of the professional bodies from anyone.

The only final comment is that the 1D requires full-frame EF mount lenses, but it is a crop 1.3x, APS-H sized images. This means that wide lenses will not seem quite as wide, but the situation is not so bad as the crop 1.6x cameras. Longer focal lengths will seem a bit longer yet with the 1D and that is generally a benefit.

The Canon 1D is still a fairly competent professional class dSLR, but with 8 year old technology it is showing its age. Understand the risks and the benefits before any purchase.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Keh has a few old 1Ds in stock, i know as i was looking for a charger and extra batteries as I have a 1D i like it for portraits as well as a remote for horse actio. as long as you dont have to make any tight crops its got a nice clean file to it. I use it for my model work as im not blowing things up much past 9x12 or 11x14. great AF , small screeen but you get used to it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Withought going into the whole body discussion, I think cmason brought up a very important point. IMHO your glass collection is far from ideal for shooting fast moving objects. The only "fast" lens you have is "fantastic plastic" aka "nifty fifty" 50/1.8II, yet its AF is one of the slowest on the market. And, FWIW, fast glass keeps its value, so it would be hard to find a decent fast USM lens that would be withing your budget ballpark...

I say: keep the XTi body, save a bit more, sell your current glass and get yourself 70-200/2.8 non-IS USM. Later on you may upgrade to used 40D (when it comes to your price range)

Just my 0.000002 of the f-stop...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I just spent the week shooting gymnastics using a 50D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

One of the other shooters were using a 1Dmk2 and 70-200 2.8L (no IS)..

From looking at the photos I am willing to say that the autofocus on the 50D is virtually as good as on the 1Dmk2... I know you can argue all day that different events, different shooter etc... But I was definately the new kid there and the shooter of the 1Dmk2 has been doing it for YEARS, as opposed to my months...

The point though is simple. Do not undersell the autofocus of the XXD cameras, specifically the 50D.

I am sure results would be different if we were trying to track subjects going through the frame instead of holding them in the middle of the frame.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I still love my ol' school 1D even with it's few flaws compared to newer bodies. It's focus speed and tracking makes my 40Ds' speed seem lethargic.

Like Ziggy said, it loves to eat batteries like no other so stop by Amazon and pick up a few Lenmars(+/- $40) and your sorted. As far as print size is concerned I printed a bunch at 11x14 for a PJ class I took and the Prof. and other students couldn't believe they came from a 4.2MP body. You've just gotta be more careful framing as the 4MP isn't very crop friendly.

A word of warning though, if your buying through KEH the cheaper ones usually don't include the chargers so you'll have to outlay more for another. Keep an eye on them on ebay, I just grabbed one for $96(my N didn't come with one and I've been thinking of lightening load lately).
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • bikelantabikelanta Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Hello All,

Just thought I'd drop by and thank you all for the advice. It's definitely been helpful.

Thank you,
    T.J.
  • samdodsonsamdodson Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    bikelanta wrote:
    In regards to lenses, I have the Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, the 50mm f/1.8 II, and the Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6. Lately though, what I've been able to shoot have been a borrowed Canon 17-40mm f/4L and the Canon 70-200 f/4L. The change in lenses has certainly been fun, but hasn't stopped me from considering this 1D purchase. Since much of what I'm working on is getting the time right to grab peak action moments, I gravitate towards that 1D, both for the aforementioned focusing speed, tracking, and the 8 fps.

Rather then purchasing a 1D Mark I, you should look into some faster glass.... 70-200 2.8 is great for fast moving athletes / animals / objects.