Options

Sub Forum Category for Motocross?

NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Sports
Since there are so many here that shoot MX, could there be a sub forum for MX? Just a thought!
Lara Poirrier
Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter

Comments

• Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Good idea.

Maybe motorcycle racing not just MX though.
    Lots of good moto GP and super bike stuff here too.
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I thought someone brought that up before and then people started talking about each sport having it's own sub category ??

IMO Auto/Motor Sports should be sub from Sports in general
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    What would you gain by having your own subforum? ne_nau.gif

Forum bloat is a problem on many other sites, and we've tried our very best NOT to let that happen to Dgrin. But as always, we're listening.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I feel that a subforum that was just called "motorsports" would be efficient. I know NikonCafe does it that way and it's nice to have them separated.
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    -1 on a separate forum\sub-forums.

Sports shift throughout the year. Right now it's MX because there is a bunch of racing going on. No reason to separate things out. It's not like this forum has so much traffic that it's impossible to keep up with.... Further, by keeping everything together, you are more likely to be exposed to things you may not normally see. If you're not into motocross, you probably would never go look at the forum and as a result, you'd never see some of the cool work that folks are posting. If you totally hate motocross, you don't have to click the link on the posts; no harm, no foul....
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    I posted about a BMX event i shot this weekend and withina few hours it was on the 2nd page with 1 comment.

Several of threads that pushed it back to page 2 were motor/auto sports. That's the only advantage i can see.

To play devil's advocate.. there are also a crap-ton of baseball threads too. :/

maybe it should be sports seasons instead of categories if there is to be any separation?
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I posted about a BMX event i shot this weekend and withina few hours it was on the 2nd page with 1 comment.

Several of threads that pushed it back to page 2 were motor/auto sports. That's the only advantage i can see.

To play devil's advocate.. there are also a crap-ton of baseball threads too. :/

maybe it should be sports seasons instead of categories if there is to be any separation?

We all know why it got pushed back too. The "need" of someone to post "nice shot" to outdated threads! eek7.gif

I don't see that there is a "need" for a motorsports sub-forum IMO.

Sorry to say, but Dgrin doesn't get a lot of posts in any sports to garner their own subforum.
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I thought someone brought that up before and then people started talking about each sport having it's own sub category ??

Better idea...I like it.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Good idea.

Maybe motorcycle racing not just MX though.
    Lots of good moto GP and super bike stuff here too.

if it isn't motocross it isn't motorcycle racing its play riding.
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    if it isn't motocross it isn't motorcycle racing its play riding.

Really?

Roadracing, Drag Racing, Hill Climb, Hare Scrambles, Enduro, EnduroCross, SuperMoto, Trials? I'm sure all of these competitors would be thrilled that you think they are just "play riding".
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    enduro? you mean where they slow down because they're going to fast and are ahead of schedule?

yeah thats racing, just like knitting and...

just having a little fun my friend. Trials riders make all of them combined look silly, I'm just partial to MX and particularly the starts. talk about men from the boys. they're all good and they all have their unique place in the sport.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 7, 2009
    Easy there Scott. We're discussing sub-forums. Not dissing what others like/dislike. OK?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 7, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    There are pros and cons of dividing things up. But where do you draw the line?

As an example; It's MX season. In a few months, it will be over and folks will be on to something else. Does making a separate forum for MX make sense?

For motorsport, maybe. But one thing I don't want to see is bloat--too many forums. The other is creating islands of shots that only a few participate in--as a photographer, you should be looking at skating and climbing even if you don't shoot it on a regular basis.

That said, I'll think about it and have a discussion with a few of the other moderators.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    enduro? you mean where they slow down because they're going to fast and are ahead of schedule?

yeah thats racing, just like knitting and...

U.S Enduro Nationals have gone to the Restart forumula. This was to try and get some MX riders to cross over, because they knew the MX guys could never be taught how to keep time.:D
    amadeus wrote:
    just having a little fun my friend. I'm just partial to MX and particularly the starts. talk about men from the boys. they're all good and they all have their unique place in the sport.

Guess you have never lined up for a Hare Scrambles start either? 50+ riders who are racing to try and be the first into a three foot wide single track trail.

I do agree that pro trials riders have the biggest set of all. The things these guys attempt and do, has to be seen to be believed. The current U.S. National champ practices on my land occasionally.

I would tend to agree with a Motorsports forum, except I know I wouldn't click on the other Sports forums. The way it's set up currently, I get some exposure to other sports. I say, leave it the way it is.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    holy crap i remember seeing my first hare scramble start... i thought someone was going to get ran over for sure.
  • Options
    scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I think www.photographyonthe.net has it nailed very well. They have a motorsports forum. If it has a motor and it's a sport (even loosely), it's in there.

S.C.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    2whlrcr wrote:

Guess you have never lined up for a Hare Scrambles start either?

actually I did. We piled a 400 Maico Magnum, my KDX 400 and a YZ465 into my Dodge van back in 1981 and drove deep into Pennsylvania so see how those boys did it.

And how they did it was you had to straddle the front wheel holding the bars facing backwards. When they blew the whistle you had to hop on and start it and off you went. :ian

It turned into a mud run and my KDX was the only one of the 3 that finished. :rutt
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Well down south the season for most motorsports is from March to October, up north the season is greatly shorter. So a motorsports only could cover a lot of events and just slow down to a crawl during fall and spring and just about stall in winter. Just my two cents. headscratch.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    xtnomad wrote:
    Well down south the season for most motorsports is from March to October, up north the season is greatly shorter. So a motorsports only could cover a lot of events and just slow down to a crawl during fall and spring and just about stall in winter. Just my two cents. headscratch.gif

think global.