Suggestions please?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited June 5, 2009 in People
Thanks for your ideas on improving this.

554955609_ekUz8-L.jpg

Jerry Nelson
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009

Jerry Nelson

Jerry, I don't mean to be harsh, but I think the best thing to do is forget it. The composition is good, but between motion blur and fuzzy focus, there is nothing sharp in the pic.

Edit: There are two different approaches you can take in the future for a shot like this. One requires a fast shutter to freeze the motion. Depending on the light, you might have to use a higher ISO to get the speed you need. The other would be a slower shutter speed, say 1/30, and panning. With a little practice you can get the subject sharp while the background has motion blur.
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009

554955609_ekUz8-L.jpg

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Hi Jerry!

I have taken pictures of my kids on the carousel and they have come out nicely. If you can use a tripod, cool if not, play around with your ISO and aperture. You can get a sweet looking picture where the little girl is frozen and the background is nicely blurred.

GG
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Try panning and the focus could be better.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    In addition to panning, which can be pretty hit-and-miss, you could use flash set to rear curtain sync to "freeze" the girl on the horse as a sharp crisp image while leaving blur behind her in the shot to convey a sense of motion. This looks better than it sounds, trust me. You need to use a shutter speed at least like what you have here, maybe even a bit longer, and then just enough fill flash to freeze the subject without blowing out the highlights.
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'll try it today when I go back to the carnival.

Blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    www.Meesoon.smugmug.com