My photo was accepted into an exhibit!

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
An artists community of which I am a member is having a juried exhibit in a local gallery this month. Works of all mediums were accepted into this exhibit but members could only submit one. Since my bass player photo did well in the mega challenge, I thought I'd see how that one would fare in this exhibit.

542182261_svrWT-Th.jpg

The normal procedure for this exhibit is that you get a phone call if your piece got accepted. If you did not receive a phone call it means your piece was not accepted and you needed to show up at the gallery at a designated time to pick it up. Well, I never got a phone call so I headed over to the gallery to pick it up. :dunno It's difficult to tell how a photo will do when it's up against oils, egg tempura, water color, sculpture, etc., so I figured it just didn't stand up very well against the other works of art that were submitted.

When I arrived at the gallery my photo was nowhere to be found among those that were not accepted. Nor did my name appear on the list of those who were not accepted. Turns out it was set aside along with the rest of the accepted ones. :D For some reason no one called me. :scratch Perhaps they dialed a wrong number and left a cryptic message on someone else's answering machine. The gallery is about a 5-10 minute drive from my home so I didn't have to drive very far out of my way.

So, in spite of the dismal weather, I had a good day yesterday! :barb

And, yes, there is life outside of the Dgrin Challenges. :ivar Participating in these challenges is a great experience and great practice for the "outside world". Not only is the peer input helpful but so is dealing with the entire process from the initial timidity to the outcome. I was more relaxed than ever before with the entire scenario -- even when I had thought that my photo had been rejected. This is not how I was 3-4 years ago. :rofl

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Congratulations Linda! clap.gif It's great to see a fellow Dgrinner recognized on the "outside." Proud to be part of a community like this where we can help each other grow and challenge each other to excel, and where participation really does prepare you for the real world. And great choice for your photo entry!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    thumb.gif That is sooooo cool! Congrats!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    biggrinbounce2.gifAwesome Linda... Thanks for sharing, what an inspiration.. and you must be jumping up and down inside... I love that photo and you did a great job....thumb.gif

Kat
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Way to go! Great perspective on how your attitude has developed on "putting it out there" regardless of the results.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Congratulations!!!
    I always liked that one myself. You should be very proud. I know what you mean about being among all paintings, sculptures, etc... Very scary for me. But isn't that just the best feeling to be picked? Personally, I find the real world easier to please than Dgrin (usually).... but thats why I am here. I need to be pushed to keep learning.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Very cool....congrats!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    what size is your display going to be?
    wrap, or framed?
    you have been in quite a few galleries this past year clap.gif
    remember, always take a snapshot of your work while its in the gallery. (and share with us toothumb.gif )
    Aaron Nelson
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Linda, during the short time that I have been a member on this site, I have become a big fan of your work. Congratulations! wings.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Wow...thanks so much for all your comments. iloveyou.gif

I'm definitely still on a high after that surprise. :D

Hey Aaron, I printed out the photo at 12x18 and placed it in an off-white 16 x 20 mat with an 11 x 14 opening (it's all I had at home ne_nau.gif). The 11 x 14 ratio worked out just fine, though. I placed the whole thing into a plain black frame. And that was it.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    congrates Linda! Reconition of a great photo is always fun!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    i have many many nice nice complete display frames still in wrap that i will likely never use...(im simply out of wall space in my home & office) i gotta get them on dgrin to sell... maybe when i get off vacation next week i can get to that....:D

anyway, i will let you know when i get them on dgrin flea market and you can maybe pick some up ....

anyway, again congrats on another showing of your work!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    waayy coolo photo hope it does wellthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    How very awesome, congrats on well deserved recognition.:ivar
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    And, yes, there is life outside of the Dgrin Challenges. :ivar Participating in these challenges is a great experience and great practice for the "outside world". Not only is the peer input helpful but so is dealing with the entire process from the initial timidity to the outcome. I was more relaxed than ever before with the entire scenario -- even when I had thought that my photo had been rejected. This is not how I was 3-4 years ago. rolleyes1.gif

Quite an exciting thing to read, I too have done well outside of Dgrin by submitting work that was specifically shot for a challenge. I must say that the challenges seem to push the best out of us.
    Congrats on your gallery acceptance.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wonderful and well deserved Linda. Makes me smile from ear to ear. :D

Congratulations!!!

Virginia

Email