Ok > > > First Shoot -Some of My Ideas For The Challenge

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok here are a few I am working on and I am determined to get an entry in the gallery by the end of this weekend.. instead of at the last minute this time..

Re-shoots are possible and "all" advice is welcome and appreciated...

I really favor the Speak No Evil.. But the microphone came out nice too, just like I had envisioned it in my head before the shot.. I figured the silver and patterns would do well and they did.. so I am not sure which I will go with yet.. The processing is not finished on these.. so any suggestions on the processing would be helpful too...

One Hit Wonder ( This was shot with diffused light and on felt intentionally for extra texture)

============================================================

555360608_ggXir-XL.jpg

Now this set I wanted to do as a series, but I am finding it difficult to fit them into one triptych. So I shot them separately, and will chose one. I may try to shoot them all together as a group too.. The title on these was supposed to be
"The Three Evils" so it would have fallen into the "many" for the theme, if I chose just one then it will be singular of course and I will go with the title given below..
does that work for the theme?

===========================================================

Hear No Evil

555360692_SPSH9-XL.jpg

See No Evil

============================================================

555360705_bV9pe-XL.jpg

=====================================================================
Speak No Evil ( This is my all time fav... and I am thinking of a re-shoot to take out that shadow from the wing so that the cherub's BUM shows more giving it that cute cherub appeal.. but I may leave that be, not sure.. what do you think? I put a lot of work into the shadows... are they ok as is? or a re-shoot?

555360616_i33q4-XL.jpg

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I like the microphone shot best, and the concept fits the theme well. My suggestion would be to try it with the mic a little more obliquely placed - in this shot, moving the grille toward the left edge of the frame - and including the rest of the handle, with only the cord trailing out of the frame if it's attached. The negative space here doesn't contribute to the "story" of the microphone as well as "more microphone" would.

And my only other suggestion might be to consider for a title, "million hit wonder," since the venerable Shure SM58 microphone is probably THE most popularly used (and abused) microphone in the world! Explodes the old cliché and still fits the theme!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    last angel, take out the noise, deepen the darks
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited June 5, 2009
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, nice "bounce" and diffusion of light! mwink.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    I like the microphone shot best, and the concept fits the theme well. My suggestion would be to try it with the mic a little more obliquely placed - in this shot, moving the grille toward the left edge of the frame - and including the rest of the handle, with only the cord trailing out of the frame if it's attached. The negative space here doesn't contribute to the "story" of the microphone as well as "more microphone" would.

And my only other suggestion might be to consider for a title, "million hit wonder," since the venerable Shure SM58 microphone is probably THE most popularly used (and abused) microphone in the world! Explodes the old cliché and still fits the theme!

Awwwww Ben........ how am I gonna do that and still get the up in your face look of the grill? that sounds impossible..I can try it.. but I am gonna lose the detail..

funny on the one hit wonder huh.. I would not know the first thing about it, thanks for the tip.... stole it from the husband's studio.. hehehehee.. I am not allowed to touch the equipment.. Big no-no... will have to snatch it for a re-shoot..
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Awwwww Ben........ how am I gonna do that and still get the up in your face look of the grill? that sounds impossible..I can try it.. but I am gonna lose the detail..

funny on the one hit wonder huh.. I would not know the first thing about it, thanks for the tip.... stole it from the husband's studio.. hehehehee.. I am not allowed to touch the equipment.. Big no-no... will have to snatch it for a re-shoot..

Either move the head of the mike to the left or the right -- not sure which, but the compo needs a little "oomph."

Alternately, try changing from Bounce to Downy. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    The microphone needs a little "something" -- not sure what. Right now it just looks like a snapshot of a microphone. ne_nau.gif Maybe different lighting or a shot taken from a different angle might put some "wow" factor into there? headscratch.gif

The angels individually look OK, but I'd like to see the triptych version. I think the three evils idea is a good one. thumb.gif
    edited June 5, 2009

I know Pyro, Awesome yes? I favor it.. I am trying to humanize the personality with the processing.. The noise is removable.. I put it there as grain.. so I will re-process that.. and repost.. not sure you will be around to critique it though on your trip.. will try to get a redo up by tonight..

anywhere specifically to darken the shadows? I assume you mean the face and hair? thanks!

Kat
    edited June 5, 2009
    Awwwww Ben........ how am I gonna do that and still get the up in your face look of the grill? that sounds impossible..I can try it.. but I am gonna lose the detail...

Just turn the mic handle back (away from the camera) a bit more, a little shy of a "head on" shot perhaps? That way you can keep the grille the same relative size and distance and not lose detail. You can also play with DOF and see if it looks better with the handle in focus or fading out as it moves away...ne_nau.gif

you could also try a splash of light in the background, a spotlight reference maybe, or just light the edge of the black handle to give a little more definition.
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Hi Kat,

I like the Mic shot the best too. I am trying to decide whether the text (brand/model name) on the mic is distracting or not. I am curious to see how the grille will look after you have sharpened the image.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 5, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    The microphone needs a little "something" -- not sure what. Right now it just looks like a snapshot of a microphone. ne_nau.gif Maybe different lighting or a shot taken from a different angle might put some "wow" factor into there? headscratch.gif

The angels individually look OK, but I'd like to see the triptych version. I think the three evils idea is a good one. thumb.gif

Thanks Linda...

You see with the triptych, I lose it badly... I tried that and once done and resized to regulation they look small and just like figurine still shots.. What I am trying to do is give them a surreal type personality, make them per say "art".. when I shrink them to fit into the triptych, I lose that effect.. They start to look like the first angel posted here up top.....

so I will try to tweak that mic for you guys and see if I can give it something...

If I can't I think I favor the 2nd or last angel..,, "I am going to try" to shoot them as a group to chase that original theme idea, but it will be one single photo..

thank you for the help..rolleyes1.gifthumb

Kat
    edited June 5, 2009
    Hi Kat,

I like the Mic shot the best too. I am trying to decide whether the text (brand/model name) on the mic is distracting or not. I am curious to see how the grille will look after you have sharpened the image.

Oh.. I did forget to sharpen... I will have to get that done on the polish and get it up on this version...

Then I will reshoot a different angle too as a second possible composition..

thanks for your help Allen and congrats on the big win today..

Kat
    edited June 5, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Just turn the mic handle back (away from the camera) a bit more, a little shy of a "head on" shot perhaps? That way you can keep the grille the same relative size and distance and not lose detail. You can also play with DOF and see if it looks better with the handle in focus or fading out as it moves away...ne_nau.gif

you could also try a splash of light in the background, a spotlight reference maybe, or just light the edge of the black handle to give a little more definition.

ok,, I will try it.. but I may end up messing it up.. I do have some spotlight effect filters I can try on it too.. I get what you are saying about the light and the title..

DOF... I shot it at F/36 I closed down as tight as I could.. what about an HDR? there is some nice silver??? maybe?headscratch.gif

Kat

thanks for the help.. will be working on it for sure..thumb.gif
    edited June 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Either move the head of the mike to the left or the right -- not sure which, but the compo needs a little "oomph."

Alternately, try changing from Bounce to Downy. eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

Gonna have to be left to pull off what Ben is talking about...

Downy giving your perks?

Ha Ha,,, See you started this........

thanks for the help Mark...thumb.gif

================================= AND

Thank you Everyone.. WOW, What a Crew...........
    You guys rolled in like a storm to help out.. thankswings.gif

will work on it... back to (other) work for now...:cry
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009

15524779-Ti.gif

From the shots above I am for this one too.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 5, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

From the shots above I am for this one too.

Thanks Photobug..

I favor it too... reshooting the microphone for the others.. I still think I am gonna like the angel better... but I am going to give their suggestions a try.. I am also shooting the angel again right now, to try and take the shadow out from under the wing, so we get nice feather detail...

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    anywhere specifically to darken the shadows? I assume you mean the face and hair? thanks!

Kat

all over. I usualy use the levels tool and just bring up the darks.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited June 5, 2009
    all over. I usualy use the levels tool and just bring up the darks.

Got it.. thanks pyro.. thumb.gif I am working on it....will try to get it posted by late tonight or tomorrow morning..

Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Hi Kat.

I really like the way you shot "see no evil," but I think the mic fits the theme the best. It's well shot, but it seems to be missing some context to bring me into the photo. I'm not sure what that is, but it's definitely not the post processing. If it comes to me, I'll be sure to post up.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thanks Silver... Yes.. "everyone" on here so far, minus, photobug and Pyro, does not think the "single" angels do not fit the theme.. However, my interpretation was shoot one "single" subject or many.. so I think they qualify as one subject, plus, one evil..

I am resooting and reworking right now.. will post those.. and as far as the mic goes,,, well I am working on that too.. lets see what I can pull off...rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for chiming in.. always appreciate the help...:D

loved your shots.. can't wait to see your rework on those..thumb.gif
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Oh, I do agree that the angels fit the theme 100% but I also like the idea you're conveying with the mic.

... the more I look at the angels, however, the more I like them.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10