Options

Watermarking?

bipockbipock Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited January 17, 2013 in Finishing School
I've read the tutorial on howto get it loaded. What programs can you use to create one so you can upload it?

Comments

• Options
    TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Any program that can save transparent png, gif or similar files.

Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements, etc...
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • Options
    bipockbipock Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    What about PowerPoint or Picasa? I don't yet have a more advanced editing software.

Really, I guess I could ask can you change the transparency and location of the SmugMug watermark on photos?
  • Options
    TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I normally run a Mac but my memory of Powerpoint on Windows is that it only saves presentations or webpages. I might be recalling incorrectly however.

I've never used Picassa nor tried to get SmugMug to change the transparency.

Maybe ask this question in the SmugMug Customization forum as well?
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    bipock wrote:
    What about PowerPoint or Picasa? I don't yet have a more advanced editing software.

Really, I guess I could ask can you change the transparency and location of the SmugMug watermark on photos?

As for making one in Picasa or PowerPoint, the answer is no. Powerpoint does "slide" presentations and they can't be transparent, so that won't work. Picasa, while I use it and love it, I don't see a way to make a watermark in it.

I downloaded a watermark from Smugmug that I would be happy to email to you if you want. It's giant X with the words "Copyrighted Image" in the center. You can also just use the default watermark which is just the word "PROOF" in big bold letters. I have Paint Shop Pro X2 but I can't figure out how to make my own watermark. Once I do figure it out, I would be happy to make one for you.

The answer to your question about the position of the watermark is also yes and no. You can easily change the position of the watermark over the image by where you place it when you create the watermark. I don't think you can move the watermark around an image since they are a full frame transparent image. I could be wrong though.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

Create new - check the transparent box.

Edit, save as a png, upload to smugmug, use it to create a watermark.

Free.

555544138_LzWLZ-M.png
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    There is a program called "Mark It Now" that can place a watermark on 1 or all photos in a directory. You can set it up to use text only, or to place a transparent image on your photos. You can also specify where to place your watermark as well. http://www.seq-soft.info/ is the website where I downloaded the program. Hope this helps!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Just my own opinion, but any discussion of watermarks should include some mention of obtrusiveness.

A watermark can be appropriately obtrusive if it is used by a photographer who is protecting his/her photographs intended for sale from free downloads. For example, someone who takes Little League player photographs and offers them for sale.

If you are just showing off your work, though, a watermark should be unobtrusive. It should not be a distraction...just a quiet signature.

Too many people fall in love with the idea of a clever watermark and create something so large, so bold, or so bright that it takes away from the photograph.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Just my own opinion, but any discussion of watermarks should include some mention of obtrusiveness.

A watermark can be appropriately obtrusive if it is used by a photographer who is protecting his/her photographs intended for sale from free downloads. For example, someone who takes Little League player photographs and offers them for sale.

If you are just showing off your work, though, a watermark should be unobtrusive. It should not be a distraction...just a quiet signature.

Too many people fall in love with the idea of a clever watermark and create something so large, so bold, or so bright that it takes away from the photograph.

I agree with you Tony, 100%. On photos that I watermark, I keep mine relively small and almost transparent. Just enough so that it can be barely seen, yet hard enough for the average person to have trouble to remove it.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ashgray2ashgray2 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2009
    is that free?
    Wow a new browser based watermarking tool.rolleyes1.gif
    Love this one, I'm looking for this two days aga and I found it here.
    Thanks for posting dude, your the man!

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 48pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="64"><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"><col> <tbody><tr><td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 48pt;" height="17" width="64">Developer Softwares, Electronic Gadgets Deals
    </td> </tr></tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"></tr></table>
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Take a look at the free FastStone Image Viewer.
    www.FastStone.org

There is an option in its batch mode, that allows you to batch image watermark or text mark your images.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:

Free.

555544138_LzWLZ-M.png
    It worked great! Thank you very much! - Chris
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    RogersDA wrote: »

Free.

555544138_LzWLZ-M.png
    I just found out about this today. Awesome!! clap.gifthumbiloveyou.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!