HELP-going from P&S to first DSLR.

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited June 15, 2009 in Cameras
I need help. It should be obvious from the title of this thread that I'm a big time newbie.
I am making the big leap from a P&S (Kodak Easyshare Z650) to my very first DSLR. I'm tired of missing great shots (or what I think are great shots anyway) because of the 3 second lag between pushing the button and getting the shot, crappy ISO, great zoom but no stabilization and a myriad of other things.

I need to know if the Canon-EOS Digital Rebel XS 10.1 is a good starter camera for me or should I go ahead and aim for his big brother the XSi or any other? Sure price is an issue, but I'm willing to wait a little longer to get the better camera if need be.

Any words of wisdom would be greately appreciated.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• flacoflaco Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    :lurk
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I need help. It should be obvious from the title of this thread that I'm a big time newbie.
    I am making the big leap from a P&S (Kodak Easyshare Z650) to my very first DSLR. I'm tired of missing great shots (or what I think are great shots anyway) because of the 3 second lag between pushing the button and getting the shot, crappy ISO, great zoom but no stabilization and a myriad of other things.

I need to know if the Canon-EOS Digital Rebel XS 10.1 is a good starter camera for me or should I go ahead and aim for his big brother the XSi or any other? Sure price is an issue, but I'm willing to wait a little longer to get the better camera if need be.

I will supplant ziggy on this one.

What kind of pictures do you plan on taking with the camera? babies? sports? wildlife? landscape? family shots? a little of everything?

what is your budget?

also consider that if you buy into canon..you are buying into a "system". As with nikon. Once you start getting lens it will be very difficult and pricy to switch. I reccomend that you go and hold a canon or nikon in your hand to see what "feels" better to you.

most entry level DSLR are very competent and are generally very well priced.

Oh and welcomne to dgrin!

Did I miss anything ziggy?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Honestly you will likely feel like you have opened a whole new world with any of the entry-level DSLRs. They are all very good. If you stick with the major brands (Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, Sony) you will likely be very pleased with how it works. I say find a store that stocks a lot of them (typically not big box stores), and hold them, see what feel you like, then go for it! Each of these manufacturers makes great entry-level dslrs for under $600. I am an Olympus fan personally - and I think they are the most bang for the buck, but honestly they are all good.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thank you both Jonathan and Qarik for taking time to answer what must be a pretty standard boring question.

I will do exactly as you both say and spend an afternoon holding many different models--I'm lucky that B&H is just a few blocks from my job here in the city, so it looks like that's what I'll be doing on Sunday.

Qarik, you asked what I'd be doing with the camera, so far it's been mostly dedicated to my 2 kids, one who just started playing baseball (action shot), but I want to expand into other areas. I've taken up archery and who knows maybe I can combine the two new hobbies(hopefully I will not get pierced in the eye with an arrow trying to capture that perfect action shot--or worse damage my new equipment).

I'm psyched (for lack of a better word) to have gotten 2 replies (and one lurker) to my first thread, and I look forward to being part of many more--I'm 100% certain that my questions are just starting.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 5, 2009
    -I'm lucky that B&H is just a few blocks from my job here in the city...

You're doomed. rolleyes1.gif

Welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif
    edited June 5, 2009
    Thank you both Jonathan and Qarik for taking time to answer what must be a pretty standard boring question.

I will do exactly as you both say and spend an afternoon holding many different models--I'm lucky that B&H is just a few blocks from my job here in the city, so it looks like that's what I'll be doing on Sunday.

Qarik, you asked what I'd be doing with the camera, so far it's been mostly dedicated to my 2 kids, one who just started playing baseball (action shot), but I want to expand into other areas. I've taken up archery and who knows maybe I can combine the two new hobbies(hopefully I will not get pierced in the eye with an arrow trying to capture that perfect action shot--or worse damage my new equipment).

I'm psyched (for lack of a better word) to have gotten 2 replies (and one lurker) to my first thread, and I look forward to being part of many more--I'm 100% certain that my questions are just starting.

THANKS AGAIN!

I am nikon shooter and from that perspective the d200 is older semi-pro model that is on sale at best buy on line (maybe in store too?) for $599 body only. This used to be a $850-$900 camera body! It is an excellent camera and one you can grow into and is well suited for action at that price point fyi. Happy hunting.

The non-nikon and canon brands are great cameras but fyi, you will get the largest selection of lens and larger knowledge base for help on camera specifics if you stick to nikon or canon.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    My first DSLR was the Canon Rebel XTi. I think the Rebel line of camera's are great entry levels, and in all honesty what you want to invest in first before other things are the lenses anyway. That's why I originally started with an XTi, was so that I could spend more on lenses... after my lenses were where I wanted them I later went back, sold the XTi and upgraded to a better body. But the XTi served me quite well for a while at the time!
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I love my canon camera (50D) and the lenses and accessories available to me.

That being said....

From my little reading on Olympus, and even less on Nikon I would actually suggest Olympus to someone that will never look into this as anything more than a very serious hobby/addiction.

Like Swinton photo says it seems like the Olympus has the best bang for the buck, at least for the bodies.

Qarik's advice about holding and playing with the cameras before purchase is the best you will get on the subject. All DSLR cameras will be a whole new world of photographry for you so pick one that you are comfortable with.
    Other than that it is all about the glass. Lenses seem to have more impact on image quality than camera body so find lenses in your target range for both cost and abilities.

Most of all have fun.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    While the xs is entirely capable, I personally would pay the marginal amount extra and get the xsi - it has more features many of which are the same as the 40D (one of Canon's flagship "prosumer" cameras), and while it has plenty of automatic options, it offers more opportunity to take control and grow as you develop photographically. Just my opinion, of course - I'm sure others will chime in!
    edited June 7, 2009
    Thank you all for all your words of wisdom.
    I'm heading over to B&H photo nowwings.gif (hopefully they won't spot a sucker from a mile away). I will definately check out all the cameras on the entry level DSLR, but also the Nikon D200 (as per Qarik's suggestion) and even the Olympus brand which I had not considered before (thank you Toshido).

I figure once I get my first DSLR then I will start with the lenses at which point I will be stuck with the "system" I brought into, so I want to make sure that I wind up with the best possible one for me.

Also Divamum---I had been grappling with that question, starting at the very bottom of the entry level, or go up one level from say the xs to the xsi, thank you--as you can tell I need very little encouragment to go to the xsi if that's the camera I go with.

B&H here I come! (can you hear the registers going KA CHING? maybe I'll leave the credit card at home so I don't make any rash decisions)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    J: Can't go wrong with the XS (or XSi), and the 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS Kit.

H: And throw in the 50 f1.8 for low light. You'll be rockin'.

J&H
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I am nikon shooter and from that perspective the d200 is older semi-pro model that is on sale at best buy on line (maybe in store too?) for $599 body only. This used to be a $850-$900 camera body! It is an excellent camera and one you can grow into and is well suited for action at that price point fyi. Happy hunting.

NO LONGER ON WEBSITE.....:cry must be sold out and they are starting out at around $900 on ebay (new)....ne_nau.gif

As for OLY.....IT IS A GREAT SYSTEM.......If there wasn't a couple of things I need that they do not provide I would jump head first into them as my new system....they have true radio controlled flash units (nothing extra to buy to remotely fire the flashes)....built in anti-shake (canon and nikon you have to buy more expensive anti-vibrational lenses.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    NO LONGER ON WEBSITE.....:cry must be sold out and they are starting out at around $900 on ebay (new)....ne_nau.gif

As for OLY.....IT IS A GREAT SYSTEM.......If there wasn't a couple of things I need that they do not provide I would jump head first into them as my new system....they have true radio controlled flash units (nothing extra to buy to remotely fire the flashes)....built in anti-shake (canon and nikon you have to buy more expensive anti-vibrational lenses.......

Hi Art,
    Please tell me what the couple of things you need that the Olympus doesn't provide. Just curious.

FYI all, went to B&H today and was completely overwhelmed. Kind of like going to the perfume counter and spritzing a few perfumes and then having everything smell the same.

Still haven't made a decision as to which one I will get, just came up with more questions.

So if I get the Canon XS or XSI, I need to buy an image stabilizer lens for any of my lens attachments?

As far as the Olympus, I see that it has internal stabilizer so all I have to do is buy the "glass". However most reviews say that the entry level DSLRs by Olympus are pretty bad in low light conditions.

As for "feel" I liked the Nikons, also liked how all the buttons are scattered about the camera. I think it will make it easier for me to memorize them.

I'm not rushing into purchasing my first DSLR--so all your opinions have been very helpful.
    headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

PS: B&H photo is one of the coolest stores I've ever been in.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 8, 2009
    if the nikon had a good feel to it..get a nikon. There really is no wrong choice in terms of specs and performance...there are how ever "right" choices.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    More personal side of things...

If I had to start over again with cameras I would have done things different now that I know more...

i started with an Rebel Xt and a 50mm f/1.4. Still have the 50mm lens but body is long gone.

I wish I started with a used 30D, should find on cheap enough and again the 50mm f/1.4. Had baby on the way and the low light was a huge requirement for me.

IF I had started with a 30D (body only) and no cheap lens I would still have hat body as a back-up second body. Plus it would have made my move over to the 50D easier. Finally they share batteries and battery grip.

Just what I would do if I could do it all over again. Of course I started infatuated with Canon from the powershot S1 and S3 cameras so I knew I was going Canon anyways...
    edited June 15, 2009
    [ I am an Olympus fan personally - and I think they are the most bang for the buck, but honestly they are all good.[/quote]

Hi Jonathan,
    After much soul searching and brainstorming, it looks like I'm going with the Olympus brand for my very first DSLR. I picked up a few and I just like the way a couple of them felt in my hand and I like their size. I went to your site, and saw the equipment you used and it turns out those are the very ones I've been eyeballing.
    I found the following options:
    Olympus Evolt E510 10MP with 42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko lenses for $689.95 (Amazon)

E620 SLR with 14-42 mm & 40-150mm Zoom lenses $799.99 (B&H)

Can you please tell me what you think of the above for those prices, and if you had to pick one to start with, which one would you choose?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    [ I am an Olympus fan personally - and I think they are the most bang for the buck, but honestly they are all good.

Hi Jonathan,
    After much soul searching and brainstorming, it looks like I'm going with the Olympus brand for my very first DSLR. I picked up a few and I just like the way a couple of them felt in my hand and I like their size. I went to your site, and saw the equipment you used and it turns out those are the very ones I've been eyeballing.
    I found the following options:
    Olympus Evolt E510 10MP with 42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko lenses for $689.95 (Amazon)

E620 SLR with 14-42 mm & 40-150mm Zoom lenses $799.99 (B&H)

Can you please tell me what you think of the above for those prices, and if you had to pick one to start with, which one would you choose?[/QUOTE]
    Just sent you a PM. I would go for the E-620. I LOVE mine. It is a little more advanced than the 500 series cameras (though they are excellent as well - I am still a happy owner of the E-510 as well).