edited June 6, 2009 in People
555746992_skf4z-L.jpg

Thanks for the help
Jerry Nelson
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Well to be perfectly honest it's obvious that all the blur was added in post, and I find it quite distracting. What did the shot look like before the postprocessing?
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I don't know that I agree. I'd certainly like to see the original shot as well but I get the feeling that the post blurring has created at least a little interest where there likely wasn't much. Maybe even blurrier surroundings would give a surreal touch to the dancing lady.
    Travis
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    What did the shot look like before the postprocessing?

555819587_tRjsP-L.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I can understand where your idea for the picture is coming from, but I think the blurring is a bit overdone.

Your picture reminds me of a grabbed shot which I took about thirty years ago when I lived in the UK. I was taking pictures at an outdoor fête, and caught a glimpse of three girls, one of them particularly striking, and so grabbed the following shot. The camera was a Minolta XM with a Rokkor 250mm mirror lens, and the film was Ektachrome (I think). The girls were totally oblivious of the camera, and apart from scanning the slide, there was no post-processing. The picture is as it appeared in the viewfinder, and this was a good ten years before PhotoShop.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wow! Awesome picture!!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks…

You didn't say which f-stop you used, but you might have got the effect you were looking for by opening the lens as wide as possible. The mirror lens I used has an effective speed of about f5.6 (from what I remember), which was just enough to isolate the subject, and then there's always the "donuts" which were quite novel in the mid-1970s, of course everyone talks about "bokeh" now… rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Quite honestly, I prefer it without any blur added.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I think I'm with cantfeelmyfingers on this one - I think I prefer it without any blurring. With her face directed at the camera, and the very unique pose, I think the focus remains on her. What about cropping it a bit to remove a few of the other faces pointing toward the camera?
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    The post processing blur I don't think bothers me as much as the skin tone adjustments that were made. She looks rather red/orange and you can tell it's not natural.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I agree. the PP-ed version looks like a cut-out. Sometimes too much is too much... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    You can simulate lens OOF with a combination of a new layer (with blur applied) and an appropriate gradient applied to a layer mask. Would be pretty cool, but you've got to do better than this.