Options

Canadian Rockies (Banff)

2»

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    Wonderful series, Dan. I love 'em all. You've really outdone yourself here. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Beautiful Dan. I really like the shot of Two Jack Lake and the one of the ice fields. I don't know if I can wait a year to visit that little slice of paradise.

Kristine

Thanks so much YSG. You will love it. deal.gif
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great shots, sir. Lovely captures. The mountains have so many moods...

You remind me that I need to get out there with my camera. Shame on me - it's only a 30 min. drive from my home (Calgary).
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    Great shots, sir. Lovely captures. The mountains have so many moods...

You remind me that I need to get out there with my camera. Shame on me - it's only a 30 min. drive from my home (Calgary).

Thanks CW. thumb.gif Check out my wildlife shots from the same trip on the Wildlife forum. Do you see many "loons" in Calgary?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Beautiful series!!!! clap.gifclap

thanks a lot for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Wonderful series, Dan. I love 'em all. You've really outdone yourself here. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. It was great being in such a PO rich environment.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Beautiful series!!!! clap.gifclap

thanks a lot for sharing

Thanks Awais. Nice to hear from you.:D
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks CW. thumb.gif Check out my wildlife shots from the same trip on the Wildlife forum. Do you see many "loons" in Calgary?

Depends what you qualify as loons... :D Come here for Stampede in July, then you'll see loons... :)

Not many loons of the bird variety in the city; not that I can recall anyway. I don't think they care much for the city. Out towards the foothills (Kananaskis country, Bragg Creek) and into the mountains (Canmore, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise) you'll see more of them. Same holds true for most of the wildlife.

I'm amazed that you saw all that wildlife on your trip! Granted I rarely immerse myself for days like you did, but it's pretty special that you saw black bears, grizzlies, elk, loons, mountain goats, etc. all on one trip. Did you do day hikes? If so, what were some of your favorites?

Cheers!
    CW

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    Depends what you qualify as loons... :D Come here for Stampede in July, then you'll see loons... :)

Not many loons of the bird variety in the city; not that I can recall anyway. I don't think they care much for the city. Out towards the foothills (Kananaskis country, Bragg Creek) and into the mountains (Canmore, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise) you'll see more of them. Same holds true for most of the wildlife.

I'm amazed that you saw all that wildlife on your trip! Granted I rarely immerse myself for days like you did, but it's pretty special that you saw black bears, grizzlies, elk, loons, mountain goats, etc. all on one trip. Did you do day hikes? If so, what were some of your favorites?

Cheers!

We hiked daily:

1. Bow River
    2. Emerald Lake
    3. Grasi Lakes
    4. Lake Louise
    5. Two Jack Lake
    6. Johnston Canyon
    7. Ice Fields
    8. Canmore
    9. Herbert Lake
    10. Plus others that I can't remember right now.

I loved them all, but Herbert lake was my favorite because that is where I spotted these two loons. The bears were all spotted from the road. You could always tell when an animal was about because other cars pulled off the side of the road to see.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    You could always tell when an animal was about because other cars pulled off the side of the road to see.

Ahh, yes, and no matter how big nor how close that animal is, they still get out. I recall once busses pulled over and tourists streamed out for a bull elk that wasn't 50 feet away. Then the Parks people show up and, shot gun in hand, ushered the people back on board...
    CW

• Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Reverb wrote:
    I really like all of these photos. Beautiful photos of a beautiful location.

Thanks Alex, and welcome to Dgrin. Got a chance to take a quick look at your website. Lots of really good stuff.

Dan
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks so much YSG. You will love it. deal.gif

It'll be my 3rd trip; 1st with my digital camera.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Great series. Ice fields looks heavenly very lovely shot. Two jack lake would have been my fav if it didn't have the road and tables in it. Great shots though.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Thanks, Dan! Yet another place to add to the bucket list!!! blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously great series! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Travism82Travism82 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Those are all great shots, I really love the first one. Especially the "thin ice" sign!
    Equipment: Canon 40D and Powershot SD750. Lenses: 18-55mm, 28-135mm and 70-300mm.

Smugmug Account: http://travism.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Great series. Ice fields looks heavenly very lovely shot. Two jack lake would have been my fav if it didn't have the road and tables in it. Great shots though.

Thanks Doug. Appreciate the feedback. I have some better shots of 2 Jack on my website.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks, Dan! Yet another place to add to the bucket list!!! blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously great series! thumb.gif

Thanks Christhumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Travism82 wrote:
    Those are all great shots, I really love the first one. Especially the "thin ice" sign!

Thanks Travis. Everyone seems to get a kick out of that sign. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Beautiful photos....I'd be more worried about the condition of the dock then the thin ice :D
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    I should be heading up that direction later this summer. I'm really excited too, since I never have. Your photos cement those feelings even more.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hard to pick a favorite from this series. I've been wanting to get up there for a while now, your pics make me want to even more.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:

Thanks Doug. I did a quick fix on that second photo. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    I should be heading up that direction later this summer. I'm really excited too, since I never have. Your photos cement those feelings even more.

That's so nice to hear. Thanks wings.gif
  • Options
    wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Dan, this set is amazingly beautiful. You have captured the natural beauty of the area so well. Great job with the camera and your eyes. thumb.gif
    wendell
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Hard to pick a favorite from this series. I've been wanting to get up there for a while now, your pics make me want to even more.

Thanks Bryan. Just do it rolleyes1.gif