Some Ideas for #27

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
These are just concept ideas so far. Lighting wasn't the best today.

Any possibilites?

50 Stars 13 Stripes
555821930_M8x7r-L.jpg

Titles: (something like): One 2 Many (or) Too Many
555821637_gVEQo-L.jpg

555822455_a46Mf-L.jpg

555824330_KUUy6-L.jpg

555829525_D9X4R-L.jpg

555828951_XKQnW-L.jpg

555840869_SPWJR-L.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wow
    OH MY WORD.. you nailed it.....AWESOME DOF..

And don't change a thing about the title... Perfect title.. stirs the emotion and aids your photo in its story..wings.gif

ok lets see my favs.. too many favs...ok..

#2 - Need to brighten the grass and the distant tombs some and sharpen it up.. and a little more light on the trees in the back would really be the icing on the cake for the DOF. just a little though, not too much as you don't want them to dominate the composition.

#4 - Already has the lightened grass and is almost perfect,, just needs more contrast.. punch it up a little. just a little. love the grain and favor this one..

#5 Is very well shot and makes me want to cry, tons of emotion evoked on this one Brian... my second fav... However, it needs some work.. Look at the man's head, it blends too much with his surroundings.. and you need to darken the benches to almost black steel to contrast the rest of the composition..

# 6 is just plain cool the way it is shot with the trailing DOF.. It could use some sharpening and some contrast. Bring out the dark veins in the marble and punch that white and you may very well have a 3rd contender..

The flag is a great shot too, but no where near the "impact" Bravo...clap.gif

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Katthumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Oooh, #2 is what I was going for too, hehe! Looks awesome!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wonderful series.

What I really love about your idea is that black and white is the perfect choice, especially for the tombstone and vault pictures. It is what would work best even if you weren't entering the picture in a black and white challenge.

Although maybe you can't say the same for the flag picture, your b&w conversion on that one is awesome.

As for title, since most of the headstones shown in the photos are of people who survived the war they fought in, maybe a reference to quiet heros would work better. Or "remembering the many" or something along those lines. Just a thought.

Virginia

Email
    edited June 6, 2009
    Survived the war? Am I missing something?

I thought they were tombstones? Virginia?headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
    edited June 6, 2009
    ohhhhhhhh.. never mind.. I see what you mean Virginia.. ok.. took me a minute..

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    :D All wonderful, I like 6 best.

Oh poo now I gotta figure something else out. headscratch.gif

Nice work.

g
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thank you all for the comments. Here in Seattle, we've had nothing but sun and 90 degree weather for the past week and then the day that I am able to go shoot nothing but clouds. :cry So these were all angle and DOF experiments to see what worked if anything. I'm going to go back and and shoot between sunbreaks to see what lighting I can get.

I knew this idea might be popular, so please don't let me discourage anyone with the same idea from not using theirs.

I was afraid that the flag (which looks amazing in color) wouldn't hold up to black and white, but I still have some ideas with that that I am going to explore.

I definitely need to work on the conversions. With the exception of the flag, all are just default grayscale conversions in Camera Raw to get an idea of how they would look in b&w.

:D
    edited June 6, 2009
    Hey Brian..

The flag is a possibility too, you just need to give us different options on how you shoot it. Try different angles, shoot some extreme and others well balanced.. You may find a winning comp. in there somewhere.. The current one you have posted does not have enough impact in my opinion..

Now on the black and white conversions, this is how I do it.....

I do not shoot in monochrome. I shoot in Color. Then I bring it into photoshop and "always” use the black and white conversion tool under IMAGE> Adjustments> Black and White...

This tool gives you "better" control because it
    is working off of the color memory in the photo and it gives you sliders to control
    that. I don't use desaturate, because I find I have less options.. The only time I use desaturate is when I am going to do a black and white coloration project, where I am going to need the history brush to restore selective color.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->
    So, you should try it on one of your shots to see the results.. shoot in color and then convert via the black and white tool.. Others on here may have a different conversion technique, but this one is the one I always use and thought I would share it…
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Look forward to those new shots..
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Kat
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Awesome set! #4 and #5 are my faves...stirs up alot of emotion, great job
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain