Deep Thought

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited June 27, 2009 in People
My little princess pondering the complexities of life. C&C welcome.

EDIT: POSTED A NEW B/W Version with more contrast.

556167681_RynZG-XL.jpg

556236636_yt9JC-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    My little princess pondering the complexities of life. C&C welcome.
    Randy, I'm not big on kids pics, but this one is great! thumb.gif
    Ever though of making it BW or at least desaturating a bit?
    I personally find colors a bit distracting... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Randy, I'm not big on kids pics, but this one is great! thumb.gif
    Ever though of making it BW or at least desaturating a bit?
    I personally find colors a bit distracting... ne_nau.gif

Thanks Nikolai. I'll post a B/W version and we can compare.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai. I'll post a B/W version and we can compare.
    Thank you.
    This particular BW seems to be a quick hack, it's actually less appealing than color version...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you.
    This particular BW seems to be a quick hack, it's actually less appealing than color version...ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif it is a quick hack...just a B/W filter lol
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wow that is a stunning portrait. Simply one of the best I've seen in such a long time. So much life, great expression, the lighting is to die for, the colours are rich and pure, the bokeh is a perfect wrap for the subject and the treatment is subtle yet defining. Thank you very much for sharing.

PS. I have to agree with Nik... the B&W is well... not.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
    edited June 6, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Wow that is a stunning portrait. Simply one of the best I've seen in such a long time. So much life, great expression, the lighting is to die for, the colours are rich and pure, the bokeh is a perfect wrap for the subject and the treatment is subtle yet defining. Thank you very much for sharing.

PS. I have to agree with Nik... the B&W is well... not.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I took it this morning at the swimming pool where she and my son take lessons. She had finished her lesson and gotten changed and her brother was swimming with mom. She was waiting for me to give her my iPhone so she could play a cooking game on it. The pool has floor to ceiling windows and it provide some great light. I shot it with my 70-200L f/2.8 and had just removed a filter. I shot 4 before that one, two of which I think would have been terrific but for the fact that by removing the circular polarizing filter I forgot to make the adjustment for the additional light and the 4 shots were completely blown out.....ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Here's one that I'm really mad about blowing the exposure on:
    556219435_PXh9i-XL.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Amazing shot, lost in a dream, the lighting is divine. I like it best in color I like how her hair contrast against the slight bluish green in the background. Maybe she is already getting her Christmas list in order... next year MY OWN ipod!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    This is just crazy wonderful!!
    556236636_yt9JC-M.jpg
    edited June 6, 2009
    Thanks VacayMom. I'm in technology for my day job so all of my children are quite adept with PDAs and computers. :)

Scott thanks for commenting. I just wished there was something I could do to salvage the other shot as well. I'm kicking myself for not checking the settings earlier.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    thumb.gif O B 1...you have done good. The first two are my favs. How could you go wrong...she is so precious...very photogenic.

Thanks for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited June 6, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    thumb.gif O B 1...you have done good. The first two are my favs. How could you go wrong...she is so precious...very photogenic.

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks Ed. Laughing.gif She now has competition ... we just had our 3rd 6 weeks ago... a little girl, Abigail :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Exquisite! I, too, love natural lighting!! Thank you for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
    edited June 6, 2009
    Exquisite! I, too, love natural lighting!! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Marjohn
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I really love the first two. I love how you captured the detail of her eyes! If you can salvage the other one, be sure to repost it, as I loved that pose!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited June 7, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I really love the first two. I love how you captured the detail of her eyes! If you can salvage the other one, be sure to repost it, as I loved that pose!

GaryB

Thanks Gary. I was really happy with this shot.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited June 26, 2009
    I was shocked tonight to see that my photo had been chosen for the cover of the web gallery on boston.com for a portrait contest. Wooohooo!!!!

574938520_zgbXS-X3.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Randy,

Congrats on a great portrait thumb.gif

Those eyes...

I'm enjoying seeing your photography skills come to fruition clap.gif
    Randy
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Here's one that I'm really mad about blowing the exposure on:
    556219435_PXh9i-XL.jpg[/QUOTE]

It's okay that you blew the exposure on this one, Randy - it doesn't begin to touch the other one. The first is a really terrific portrait that appears to really capture the subject's spirit and beauty at the moment you released the shutter. The second is a snap of a child who knows she's being photographed and is posed more like a little adult than a child. But the first one? To die for mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 27, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    I was shocked tonight to see that my photo had been chosen for the cover of the web gallery on boston.com for a portrait contest. Wooohooo!!!!

574938520_zgbXS-X3.jpg

Congrats! This definitely deserves to be there!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks Randy and B.D. I have to admit that it seems that it is not so much me sometimes but just being lucky and letting people be themselves. I definitely agree with you B.D. that this one is special and I wished I could know what she was thinking.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    This is beautiful Randy. The colors are rich and plentiful. The "distant" look gives the viewer such a sense of wonderment..great capture BTW. I think this could work in B&W as well but maybe not as powerful as the color version. Congrats on the contest! Kids are so fun to photograph! Some of the expressions are priceless and enjoy seeing what you come up with thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 27, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    This is beautiful Randy. The colors are rich and plentiful. The "distant" look gives the viewer such a sense of wonderment..great capture BTW. I think this could work in B&W as well but maybe not as powerful as the color version. Congrats on the contest! Kids are so fun to photograph! Some of the expressions are priceless and enjoy seeing what you come up with thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words Swartzy...I am having a blast every time I go and shoot.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited June 27, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thanks Randy and B.D. I have to admit that it seems that it is not so much me sometimes but just being lucky and letting people be themselves. I definitely agree with you B.D. that this one is special and I wished I could know what she was thinking.

Luck has very little to do with it. Very few photographers truly understand the importance of letting people be themselves, and how to do it. And then knowing what you have and capturing it is also a real skill.

Your comment about luck, by the way, raises a very intriguing question:

How many of you, like me, often look at an image and find something in it you don't think you were aware of at the time you shot it? And very often that 'something' is what made the image?

I'd suggest that if that happens once in a proverbial blue moon, it's "luck." But if it happens with some real frequency, what is happening is that you are seeing things, shooting, on a subconscious level; something in your brain "sees" that exciting element of the image, and tells you to shoot.

Or maybe not. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 27, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Luck has very little to do with it. Very few photographers truly understand the importance of letting people be themselves, and how to do it. And then knowing what you have and capturing it is also a real skill.

Your comment about luck, by the way, raises a very intriguing question:

How many of you, like me, often look at an image and find something in it you don't think you were aware of at the time you shot it? And very often that 'something' is what made the image?

I'd suggest that if that happens once in a proverbial blue moon, it's "luck." But if it happens with some real frequency, what is happening is that you are seeing things, shooting, on a subconscious level; something in your brain "sees" that exciting element of the image, and tells you to shoot.

Or maybe not. mwink.gif

Thanks for the kind words B.D. and it is quite ironic that my neighbor expressed those very same thoughts about luck. I just think of it as allowing myself to see what is there and not to create something from nothing. In most cases, people would be surprised that there is an instant that many miss because it is fleeting but that instant is the essence of a moment. That is what I see through my lens. I do my best not to influence the shot but record what is presented
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com