DSS #27 - What do you think?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This idea came to me from a dream I had last night. Kind of bizarre but I was some place alone, I can't really make out where, but I had nothing, no clothes, no money, and I recall feeling like someone had taken everything away from me by force. I remember dreaming that I kept assuring myself that all I needed for protection were my fists. That they couldn't take them away from me. Don't remember much more.

Well... I tried a few dfferent concepts and I like this one the most. How's it look on your monitor? Looks pretty good on mine. Is the conversion OK? How are the highlights?

556246934_CANrC-L.jpg

Not sure of the title... kicking around these ideas:
  • Army of Two (or Ten)
  • Fingers United
  • Ten Become Two
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Alex, that's a cool story of inspiration. I think it's a compelling image, too - staring at it, the fists almost look like they're moving toward me! DOF is just right for this, and though the highlights are pretty intense I can see just enough detail close up. That said, maybe taming the highlights just a bit will help the whole image set a little better.

Then again, the burning intensity of the knuckles has impact, so to speak. headscratch.gif But ultimately, since this is more of a portrait than an action shot, I think subduing the foreground exposure would make it stronger overall. Maybe...?ne_nau.gif

Regardless it's very well done and the composition is solid.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Looks great. Sharp. Nice DOF.

Call it "Meet my uncle, Harry Knuckles." :)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    556384652_zr5yF-L.jpg

Ben,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah... I need to adjust my monitor a bit. I've been getting comments that the highlights are a bit strong on pictures I've posted lately, but yet on my monitor they look OK.

I made some adjustments to the image (above). I used the local adjustment brush to reduce the exposure a bit on my hands. Then I added a second layer to paint the outline of the my fists and also the spaces between my fingers and then did some selective contrast adjusted there too to bring out a bit more contrast and detail. I then brought down the dark tones on the overall image a bit to give a little more drama.

Better? Or did I make it worse?

BTW Ghinson... I do have some hairy knuckles. I've never really noticed until looking at this picture. Maybe I will get them waxed. :D

My Smug Site
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Good job on reworking the Knuckle Twins - a big improvement! Now don't punch me, but I think the background in the first version is better.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    OK... new Knuckles, old background below:

556382392_6qeh4-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    DOF is great! The fists look like they're jumping out of the photo.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    uh.... I liked number one Cuban.. the balance was just right........ the final process is way too bright... I feel like there is loss of mastery in the old PS when I look at that one.... even the second one is good and has a little more punch, but this last one... BOOM.. a little on the bright side.. could be my monitor, will have to see what others think..

OK>>> EDIT >> I was looking at them backwards... when typing.. "The newest one looks super".... I was looking at the first one when referencing them....

So... the final image rework here >> works great... nice process..

By the way, this is very artistic.. and that is your strength from what I have seen...

I like artistic shots.. a lot.... kuddos...clap.gif

and uh.. guys are "supposed to have hairy knuckles"rolleyes1.gif !!!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I like itthumb.gif I like your title Ten Become Two...very clever!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I like the last rework. Title The Power of Ten
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    ya know it reminds me of the last installment of the matrix movie..

"KNUCKLE UP" ... ha ha..