Top of monument

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Landscapes
This is the top of a monument on the square here in Millersburg. It is a monument in memory of those who gave their life during the wars when Millersburg was being formed. I sorta like this view because the blossoms on the trees sorta frame the figure.

What do you think? Should this one be converted to B/W? As always, C&C always welcomed. How else am I supposed to improve? :D

553434294_kPhKK-M.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Hi Gary,

I really like the perspective too. I think you did a great job with what you had to work with. I see a lot of shadow detail and nice highlights as well. As you mentioned, the natural framing is wonderful. I don't think you'd gain anything by converting it to b&w.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    You need to do a better job in post with this before you can really answer the B&W question. The version you posted has a slight green cast and is somewhat overexposed and thus too light. I did my best fast job with it in both color and B&W. Now it's a fair comparison:

556873414_szUHe-L.jpg

In this case, I'd have to give it to the color version. There is just too little contrast between the statue and the background in B&W. When I was doing the conversion, I tried to emphasize the contrast, but even so...
    If not now, when?
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I will try and re-shoot this on my next day off, but early in the morning. The shot I posted was taken during the late afternoon, and the sun was behind and to the right of the statue. I'm thinking if I get a shot just as the sun is rising, I should be able to get a better effect. If I remember right, there's an old time street light fairly close to it. I might try and get a shot at night time as well, using the street light as the light source.

Now that I finally received Apeture 2, I will now be shooting in RAW. Up untill now, I've been shooting in JPG Fine, and editing in Picasa. I am taking the manual for Apeture to work with me, and reading it on my breaks and lunch time, so I know what it is capable of. I'll probably be asking for help when I run into something I don't quite understand.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Here's one I found of the statue (in the park) during early spring when the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. I think the one I posted earlier was taken before the cherry trees were in bloom.

553429163_QDAgk-M.jpg

What do you think of this one?

GaryB
    GaryB