Options

DSS 27 - The Truth is Out There!

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's my idea for DSS 27, and I admit I'm in a bit of a silly mood this week. C&C Welcome, reshoots possible.

Title: The Eggs-Files: Fight the Future!
556443698_uBDth-L.jpg
556443565_YsYCc-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Very interesting works both singular and plural #2 seems better to my eye
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    OOPS .. #1 is way too dark. Let's add #3 in the mix.

556448281_xLQMx-L.jpg
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    You are cracking me up.. too much x-files Mark...

I like the second one best... but I am thinking you can bring more to the table than this.. waiting to see......:D

still waiting..........mwink.gif

not enough impact here...there is just something missing for me in these.... what other ideas do you have... we see eggs every morning... give us something unique..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Laughing.gif...there goes my idea for shooting eggs. rolleyes1.gif

I like #2 & #3. I like the way the light is hitting the lid in #3 but you have a cleaner glowing egg in #2. Is there any way you can combine the best of both of those to come up with a #4?
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Laughing.gif...there goes my idea for shooting eggs. rolleyes1.gif

You're joking, right? headscratch.gif
    I like #2 & #3. I like the way the light is hitting the lid in #3 but you have a cleaner glowing egg in #2. Is there any way you can combine the best of both of those to come up with a #4?

I agree, actually! I'm gonna try some new techniques tomorrow that my brain just thought up to give a more realistic glow "SOOC" and reduce my dependency on Lightroom and Lightzone for the effect. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    You are cracking me up.. too much x-files Mark...

I like the second one best... but I am thinking you can bring more to the table than this.. waiting to see......:D

still waiting..........mwink.gif

not enough impact here...there is just something missing for me in these.... what other ideas do you have... we see eggs every morning... give us something unique..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat

Kat, sorry you don't get excited about eggs ... but I already spent the $1.29,deal.gif and am determined to get value for my money spent. :D

Any ideas you have for adding impact, I'm all ear.gifear.gifear.gif!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    You're joking, right? headscratch.gif

Nope not at all. rolleyes1.gif I also wanted to try to shoot eggs in an egg container for this challenge. Great minds think alike, eh? mwink.gif

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the more realistic glow!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Kat, sorry you don't get excited about eggs ... but I already spent the $1.29,deal.gif and am determined to get value for my money spent. :D

Any ideas you have for adding impact, I'm all ear.gifear.gifear.gif!

>>> Ok... well Mr. Determined... lets try to make that investment pay off then..

Perhaps it is because I collect over 20 eggs a day from my chickens.. I am always giving away eggs.. too many eggs.........eggs eggs and more eggs.. husband is always saying, you need to use them eggs up.!

hmmmmmmmm.. ok, lets think... if it were me and I had to shoot eggs.. I would put them in a metal egg basket and make good use of the silver in the metal for black and white impact.. however, if you dont have a metal basket for them, then... well.....

I am thinking..........................

what about cracked, maybe add to the shadow effect cracked or maybe egg shells.. or..... I dont know.. but if you look at the pictures (carefully) you will see why I am saying what I am... there is -NO- contrast MArk.. a lot of greys, no blacks and whites to work with here to give it depth.. so at least keep this in mind when your shooting them again and processing them.. and are you saying "one" or many for the theme? it kind of says both with that lit up egg..

WAIT...... I just had an idea...

ok.. how about slip some of the eggs into a large Metal Whisk? then lay that on a white backdrop, like a counter top and then get some harsh light casting on them to bring out the white shells and the metal silver and it will cast harsh shadows too for black appeal on the white backdrop... I think natural harsh daylight from a window is best...

There that is my best advice.. what ever you do.. Good luck with it...thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    >>> Ok... well Mr. Determined... lets try to make that investment pay off then..

Perhaps it is because I collect over 20 eggs a day from my chickens.. I am always giving away eggs.. too many eggs.........eggs eggs and more eggs.. husband is always saying, you need to use them eggs up.!

hmmmmmmmm.. ok, lets think... if it were me and I had to shoot eggs.. I would put them in a metal egg basket and make good use of the silver in the metal for black and white impact.. however, if you dont have a metal basket for them, then... well.....

I am thinking..........................

what about cracked, maybe add to the shadow effect cracked or maybe egg shells.. or..... I dont know.. but if you look at the pictures (carefully) you will see why I am saying what I am... there is -NO- contrast MArk.. a lot of greys, no blacks and whites to work with here to give it depth.. so at least keep this in mind when your shooting them again and processing them.. and are you saying "one" or many for the theme? it kind of says both with that lit up egg..

WAIT...... I just had an idea...

ok.. how about slip some of the eggs into a large Metal Whisk? then lay that on a white backdrop, like a counter top and then get some harsh light casting on them to bring out the white shells and the metal silver and it will cast harsh shadows too for black appeal on the white backdrop... I think natural harsh daylight from a window is best...

There that is my best advice.. what ever you do.. Good luck with it...thumb.gif

Kat

Kat, point taken about the flat lighting .. will try to add some "depth" to them there eggs.

And, just for the record, these are just picture-taking eggs. I only cook--and eat--organic free range. thumb.gif Wouldn't want anyone to think I don't know what good eggs is!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Nope not at all. rolleyes1.gif I also wanted to try to shoot eggs in an egg container for this challenge. Great minds think alike, eh? mwink.gif

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the more realistic glow!

I suspect there's enough room in this challenge for more than one picture of an egg. And I have a feeling anything you enter will outshine my poor efforts. bowdown.gif

One thing I've found, these things are highly reflective. The hard part isn't making one of them glow, it's making the other eleven NOT glow!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    yep.. that is exactly why I raise my own...thumb.gif organic eggs are best..

oh. Linda.. when I think of you shooting a kitchen theme, that one in your gallery comes to mind with the lady making pie.. what a setting that would be to display eggs.. I absolutely " love" that photo...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Hmmm... "impact" + "eggs" sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.... ~ducks and runs~ :D

VOte for #2 here.

And you're all ahead of me - best I've thought of so far is lonely peas (see Sandra Boynton for details), but I don't have the right dishes to make it work and my budget is SUB $1.29 at the moment ("LOOOXURY!!!").

Sigh. I'm reduced to taking my OWN %!&#*&$_!&#& headshots to keep my picture-taking going (and because I need new ones), but I can't do what I want there either because it's near impossible to successfully manage reflected natural light and shallow depth of field in a self-portrait.... eek7.gif

But I digress. Trust no-one.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Hmmm... "impact" + "eggs" sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.... ~ducks and runs~ :D

VOte for #2 here.

And you're all ahead of me - best I've thought of so far is lonely peas (see Sandra Boynton for details), but I don't have the right dishes to make it work and my budget is SUB $1.29 at the moment ("LOOOXURY!!!").

Sigh. I'm reduced to taking my OWN %!&#*&$_!&#& headshots to keep my picture-taking going (and because I need new ones), but I can't do what I want there either because it's near impossible to successfully manage reflected natural light and shallow depth of field in a self-portrait.... eek7.gif

But I digress. Trust no-one.

As the father of a rambunctious 4 year old, I can honestly say I iloveyou.gif Sandra Boynton. Moo, Baa, La La La was a lifesaver when he had colic as a baby. I can still (probably) recite it by heart: "The cow goes moo, the sheep goes baa, three singing pigs go la la la."

Wait, did I just hijack my own thread? eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    oh. I am sure you will come up with something Diva.. ya always do..

How about using some of your get-ups? I am sure you have tons of stage costume stuff.. a pair of heels or maybe a sparkly stage dress? you get where I am going with this.. perhaps it is all around you there at home..

Best of luck to you..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

Wait, did I just hijack my own thread? eek7.gifheadscratch.gif

Yep.. looks like you did.. but then that is your specialtymwink.gif..
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    As the father of a rambunctious 4 year old, I can honestly say I iloveyou.gif Sandra Boynton.

I thought you might (it was the diaper-box-light-tent that gave you away rolleyes1.gif). But do you have the songbooks (from whence "Poor Lonely Peas" was derived?) - if not ... GET THEM IMMEDIATELY! Superb. Rhinoceros Tap, Philadelphia Chickens, Dog Train, and Blue Moo. Dog Train is the weakest IMO, but they're all worth having. Love, love, LOVE 'em.

/Hijack For Good Cause

:D
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Personally I like #2 and think the idea is great.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I suspect there's enough room in this challenge for more than one picture of an egg. And I have a feeling anything you enter will outshine my poor efforts. bowdown.gif

One thing I've found, these things are highly reflective. The hard part isn't making one of them glow, it's making the other eleven NOT glow!

Nope. I'm going to look for something else. It's gorgeous outside over here in PA and I'm sure there's SOMEthing out there waiting to be photographed for this challenge. Right now your shot is unique. If I entered a similar one it won't do either one of us any good.

But getting back to your shot -- have you thought of removing the glowing one from the container and placing it in a different position in the shot? Like on the counter or something like that?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2009
    oh. Linda.. when I think of you shooting a kitchen theme, that one in your gallery comes to mind with the lady making pie.. what a setting that would be to display eggs.. I absolutely " love" that photo...

Thanks, Kat! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Cool idea, Mark - love the punny title! Eggs are more challenging to light and shoot then they look, aren't they? I like what you have going, and sounds like you have some more tricks up your sleeve. I suggest maybe losing the lid - it's not hard to ignore, but it's not very attractive or necessary. And opening that up may give you more options for lighting as well. I'm eggscited to see what you come up with!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    :bash :bash :bash

Sorry, just needed to vent.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    :nono No giving up allowed.

cheerleader.gifcheerleader.giflynnma

But a little potty-mouth is OK. rolleyes1.gif :bread :flush
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    I'm more concerned that I'll fly into a rage and smash my subject into scrambled eggs. Then what will I do? ne_nau.gif They don't grow on trees you know ...:D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I'm more concerned that I'll fly into a rage and smash my subject into scrambled eggs. Then what will I do? ne_nau.gif

Cook 'em up and eat 'em, of course -- with a little side of bacon! :eat

Just a thought -- have you tried photographing them in your frying pan as they're cooking? Like sunny side up?
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Cook 'em up and eat 'em, of course -- with a little side of bacon! :eat

Just a thought -- have you tried photographing them in your frying pan as they're cooking? Like sunny side up?

I tried photographing food as I was cooking it exactly once. I'm a pretty good cook, if I do say so myself, but a bit chaotic. Add a tripod and a camera into the mix is a recipe for disaster!:hide

And I aint sure I wanna be crackin' open these eggs after they've been sitting under hot lights for a few hours at a time ... deal.gif

Thanks for your thoughts tho. I'll think of something.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    And I aint sure I wanna be crackin' open these eggs after they've been sitting under hot lights for a few hours at a time ... deal.gif

:yikes Ewww...... I hear ya!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    :lurk