Some Doli shots

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
One of the few times I actually set out to get shots of one particular subject- Dolichopid flies. Most of these were taken with the flash in manual to prevent the pre flash startle reactions you often get with these flies. Was lucky to actually find a new doli species for me in the first 2 shots- a very long legged version. The others are what I call the standard large version of these flies. get lots of them playing around near the pond now.

brian v.

3602160053_05f89d9111_o.jpg

3602160055_bc7b007e7d_o.jpg

3602160059_0c508988b6_o.jpg

3602160061_1f0691909f_o.jpg

3602160063_3c254c6876_o.jpg

3602160065_0813165cc9_o.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    One of the few times I actually set out to get shots of one particular subject- Dolichopid flies. Most of these were taken with the flash in manual to prevent the pre flash startle reactions you often get with these flies. Was lucky to actually find a new doli species for me in the first 2 shots- a very long legged version. The others are what I call the standard large version of these flies. get lots of them playing around near the pond now.

brian v.

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on your new found species clap.gif
    Looks like the first one is praying.

I love the Fourth Shot, its a very pretty looking fly, feminine looking even.

The eye's really take you in, the colour and size of them.

Thanks for sharing Brian thumb.gif excellent shots.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Brian,

Congratulations on your new found species clap.gif
    Looks like the first one is praying.

I love the Fourth Shot, its a very pretty looking fly, feminine looking even.

The eye's really take you in, the colour and size of them.

Thanks for sharing Brian thumb.gif excellent shots.... Skippy :D
    Thanks Skippy :)

These flies always have problems with feeding on a surface- they seem to have short probosci and with the long legs, always end up in that head-down position.
    Brian V.