556562715_kX2Rb-L.jpg

3) One door - four panes: Version 2
556563323_YUVjL-XL.jpg

4) Bikes, lots of bikes
556562909_uqd6X-L.jpg

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I really like #1 and #4 -- with #1, the motion is cool, but it took me a second to figure out what it was. I think it would be interesting to see #1 with the fan blades stopped. With #4, a tighter crop may help convey that the bikes are the subject. There is a lot in that picture to look at.

Both of those pictures are really nice!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I like #1 best.. though I wonder if you have the original still so you can rework the
    crop? It is cropped too close to the hinges.

#4 sure has the best potential in my opinion but it needs more punch and contrast and
    I don't know if it is just the way I am seeing it, but it looks blurry, like motion blur.
    There is a lot of process potential with all of that bike silver..

On the doors, I like them thumb.gif but they are flat with way too much gray and
    do not offer much for contrast balance with black and white and gray.

Can you work with the bike one and see what you come up with? do you have
    photoshop? if you do, you can remove the motion blur with the smartsharpen tool.
    and perhaps you can contrast it up some..

#4 and #1 have best potential here... will you be posting more?

Kat
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    #1 is pretty much SooC but rotated 90 degrees left. No crop, so nothing I can do. They are exhaust fans from a kitchen and the mottling and the reflections is due to the grease they've pulled out over the years. I was standing directly in the airflow and could feel the grease hitting me. I didn't want to stand there too long. What originally attracted me was a small red fire hydrant just in front of restaurant fans. It was also coated in grease.

I was eventually shoo-shooed away from the location by an angry old man that kept yelling "No" and pointing at me. The shot of the bikes was literally when I was walking away. I hung my camera down and behind and just fired off a series of frames hoping to get something of the kerfuffle behind me. Autofocus was on, but set to a single point, everything else was manual for exposure toward the restaurant. Frankly, I'm surprised it's as in-focus as it was. This is how I got #4.

I will probably go out and shoot again next weekend and am fairly confident I can recreate something like #4. Hopefully without being chased. I'll have to be sly to get another attempt at the fans.

Keep the C&C coming!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Treat this as a concept shot. It's a tighter crop of #4 as per karlabbott's suggestion.

556864284_L4cyp-L.jpg
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I like the fans. Great comp...I can almost feel the hot air and grease just looking at it! Funny story about the old man chasing you away. Wonder what his objection was?
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Treat this as a concept shot. It's a tighter crop of #4 as per karlabbott's suggestion.

556864284_L4cyp-L.jpg

That is looking nice :)

Karl