Nikon 24-120mm VR users tell me what you think.

midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Cameras
I have been looking at this lens as a walk around lens. However I have read some very bad reviews in terms of sharpness. Is this lens really that bad? I also noticed that most of the reviews that I read were older and I was wondering if this has been corrected on the newer versions of it. Sample images would be great.
Thanks to all who reply.
If you care more about the gear you use that the pictures you take, you have a problem:D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    You can almost always trust the reviews at PhotoZone and they have an excellent review of that lens:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/244-nikkor-af-s-24-120mm-f35-56g-if-ed-vr-review--lab-test-report

If you think of the lens as an f5.6 across the board, then it it not so bad, especially if you can take the time to shoot RAW and fix the CA in post. Otherwise, I'm afraid that at the wide end and especially wide open it is not all that great, but stopping down to f5.6 cures a fair amount of the problem.

I would also suggest looking at the Nikkor AF 24-85mm, f2.8-f4D IF with a more conservative range and no VR, but a pretty good performer for the price.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums