DSS #27 - Had another go at it....

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Similar theme as the shot of my fists... This time threw a slightly different spin on it. I think I like the conversion on this... kind of gritty, which I think fits the shot.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

557472117_prari-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    While I do like your conversion, I liked your other shot better because with this one the fists do not become the "main attraction", I go right to the eyes and stay there (unless you are changing your idea to be something with the eyes). So that's just my humble opinion, hopefully someone else will chime in!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    While I do like your conversion, I liked your other shot better because with this one the fists do not become the "main attraction", I go right to the eyes and stay there (unless you are changing your idea to be something with the eyes). So that's just my humble opinion, hopefully someone else will chime in!

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that the subject of this image is the eyes.

My Smug Site
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I have always liked how you process your skin in your self portraits.

I do like this one better than the other knuckle theme...

what title were you tossing around for this one to denote it is the eyes?
    Just curious...

I like this theme or the flower... I still think the flower has a lot of impact..

However, this right here is equally full of impact too with the harsh processing treatment you gave it and the depth..

I like that there is only "one" catch light in the eye... however,, the one tiny thing that bothers me about it, is what it does to the shape of your nose bridge in conjunction with the shadow. the crookedness of the nose bridge keeps pulling at my attention competing with the eye impact..

I always enjoy watching you do these... I wonder if you have more? you always manage to hit the nail on the head once you shoot several..

This is going somewhere for sure,, just be sure to keep the impact tight and don't loosen up the composition.. I like this tight depth.

Only my opinion of course......thumb.gif

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I rather like it
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Effin Spectacuar bro!!!! Very Dramatic!!! I love it!! Awesome depth, amazing clarity. Nice Processing. I think this is a great image all around! And 2 eyes is plural in my book!! Nice Shot!thumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys. Kat... I think I see what you mean with the shadow making my nose look a little bent. But aren't fighter's noses crooked?? mwink.gif

This was tough to shoot. I'm shooting wide open so it makes getting proper focus difficult. I will see what I can do to improve the shadow there. I did want to tape my hands and reshoot this so maybe I will do it that. I think the taped hands will add to the drama a bit.

As far as title goes, I'm tossing around "Fighter's Eyes" or "Through a Fighter's Eyes".

Which fits better?

My Smug Site
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Yeah some ragged dirty tape on the hands would be sweet!! And I like "Through A Fighters Eyes".
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I like the intensity of the eyes. But I find that the blurry fists are getting in the way. If it's the intense stare you're going for, I think a facial shot with a crop featuring the eyes would be more powerful.
    edited June 8, 2009
    Linda,

I see you point but if I remove the fists, I lose the context of the image. I am pretty happy with this one, but I have some ideas that I will be trying tonight to improve this concept. Will post if I get anything good.

My Smug Site
    edited June 8, 2009
    Definitely add the taped hands...clap.gif

I personally would make sure to make the tape look
    kind of sweaty and torn, ya know pull some fine strands of it loose and make it look
    raggedy and used up and a little dirty..

You know what I mean... keep it real...even though I am having a hard time wording it...headscratch.gif,, I don't know if you have ever checked out Llywellyn's fighter series in her gallery?
    It is not the same as what you are doing here, but I like the way she paid attention to the realistic detail and made the fighter look sweaty and dirty and tired and worn..
    That's what I mean by keeping it real throughout the composition..
    Make us believe we are looking an actual fighter...

I like it a lot and think it is powerful Cuban, somehow this theme fits you well.........

As far as the name: I like "Through a Fighter's Eyes":beatwax

and yes.. you make a good point about the crooked nose,, I did not think about it that way... so i suppose it does work...mwink.gif

Katthumb.gif
    edited June 8, 2009
    Kat...

I searched all over for my hand wraps last night in the garage but came up short. I may not look it, but I used to dabble in boxing a bit. I boxed a bit as a kid and then used to train as an adult but more for exercise than anything else. I am a huge boxing fan as well.

I did find some gauze rolls and medical tape so I will fashion some wraps from that. Hopefully the pics will come close to the vision I have in my head. We will see.

My Smug Site
    edited June 8, 2009
    Yep,, No surprise there.. I have gotten that impression from some of your past self portraits.. It's in the attitude and demeanor. Awesome to hear that and thanks for sharing....mwink.gif I am gonna have to start posting boxing jokes at ya now...hehe

As far as the tape goes,, medical tape is awesome for that with the threads in it, they are easy to rough up the edges on and don't forget the spritz bottle, need those sweat drops.... I love watching it come together and it is a great learning experience watching you too.... rolleyes1.gif

Patiently awaiting the new shots...

I will be keeping my eyes out for them...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 8, 2009
    edited June 9, 2009
    The tape didn't workout last night: Tape + Hair = Pain.

I will dig up my hand wraps today. I did manage to play around with the boxing theme a bit more. Here are a couple of other shots that I will reshoot with the wraps but thought I would post to see if they are better than the previous shot.

558833668_gzRdn-L.jpg

559088327_LnRxS-L.jpg

558831461_PkCDy-L.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited June 9, 2009

559088327_LnRxS-L.jpg

This one is absolutely fabulous! IMO it's really good 'as is' but I would like to see the version with the hand wraps too. thumb.gif
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thanks Linda... Yeah, I think I like the way that one turned out as well. I found my hand wraps. Now I just need to see if I can replicate that shot with the wraps on. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
    edited June 9, 2009
    Hey Cuban..

Sorry it took a while to respond.. Just got back from a shoot and a long day...

I am liking both #1 and #2.... #1 only if you have hand wraps to pull it inwards.

#2 - is my favorite.. Love the expression, it looks very authentic.. It would be nice to
    see some sweat beads on your forehead to make you look exhausted from boxing,
    but that is just my personal opinion.. I really think if you could nail the sweat down
    just right, that it would look really good contrasting your skin with this processing
    you have on the skin already.. with maybe a little more dark and bronzing..

Rough it Up................mwink.gif

It is looking awesome; and a competitive contender as usual coming from you...wings.gif

Will be looking out for the hand wrapped version...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    OK... no sweat yet... will have to work that in. I did manage to get these with the wrapped hands. I now have a favorite which I think I am going to enter but I want to see what you guys think... I will divulge which is my favorite later.

#1 - Boxer
    559686369_gm2Uu-L.jpg

#2 - Boxer (2)
    559693359_chEPh-L.jpg

#3 - Tools of the Trade
    559690398_xEJTr-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    #3 of the new set is just perfect for the theme! Great B&W processing too.

ooh, I just noticed that your left hand (right on the screen) is out of focus. I would do a re-shoot on #3 if I were you.

p.s. I see that you have fallen in love with the Dragan-like processing.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 9, 2009
    awwwwwwwwwwwww man.................. CUBAN!! I was having fun with the others....

I must confess... #3 takes the cake......... wings.gif

Something about it................. I bet that is your fav huh?

what is that on your knuckles? missing hair from the tape..:lol4:lol4:lol4
    Maybe you can "clone it back in" HA HA HArolleyes1.gif

sorry joking.. you set yourself up for that joke budro.. I could not help it..

Kat