DSS#27 - "New Recruits"

KipCoxKipCox Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited June 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
My first entry into a DGrin Challenge - C&C's greatly appreciated.

"New Recruits"

Taken during a recent airshow at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. A group of local kids try to march for the first time to the applause of several thousand cheering friends, family and strangers. All the new recruits had just taken their oath of enlistment into the U.S. Air Force. Some are excited, all are proud, some are just trying to stay in step.

The NCO leading the group knows life will never be the same for these new members of the Air Force.

DK09_Recruits_KCox-1.jpg

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    KipCox wrote:
    My first entry into a DGrin Challenge - C&C's greatly appreciated.

"New Recruits"

Taken during a recent airshow at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. A group of local kids try to march for the first time to the applause of several thousand cheering friends, family and strangers. All the new recruits had just taken their oath of enlistment into the U.S. Air Force. Some are excited, all are proud, some are just trying to stay in step.

The NCO leading the group knows life will never be the same for these new members of the Air Force.

"The Few, the Pround ..." ?

Great take on the theme. clap.gif I think the compo is ok, (and I like the blurred out jet in the backgroundthumb.gif ) but the black and white conversion could use a little (and just a little) more POP.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    KipCox wrote:

rolleyes1.gifAnd that's why he's wearing that grin on his face.

Love the crop of this shot and how the line blurs into the background along with the jet. The photo could use a bit more pop in terms of contrast. An unsharp mask with a setting of 20/50/0 might do the trick for you. mwink.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I am loving this shot... it is wonderful.. I echo what they said up top on the composition...

as far as the conversion.. it needs work... you need to darken up those black shirts because it is the shirts that give us that trailing depth that guides our eyes back to the jet.. Sharpen it up and it would be cool to get that cement gritty and
    slightly darker so that it contrasts with the gray of their faces, right now it is too close to the same tone of gray as their faces.. it would help to give it pop..

For sharpening, I personally always use the "smart sharpen in photoshop" under filters. I find it gives me superior control and setting it to take away the lens blur would help on this one.. also be sure to set it to "more accurate" and then play with the sliders on all three levels...

Nice job here...

Kat
  • KipCoxKipCox Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Wow...thanks for the encouragement and the helpful tips. thumb.gif

Here's the adjusted version.

DK09_Recruits_KCox-2.jpg
    edited June 8, 2009
    The following pic -taken the same day as the one above - was going to be me initial submission...but someone else already did the "Thunderbirds" theme. Funny how stuff works out. headscratch.gif

"Cloud 9"

DK09_Cloud9_KCox-3.jpg
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    KipCox wrote:
    The following pic -taken the same day as the one above - was going to be me initial submission...but someone else already did the "Thunderbirds" theme. Funny how stuff works out. headscratch.gif

"Cloud 9"

Sorry to take the idea, you have a great shot there. I had no idea they were in SD last week.

The Recruits is a great idea, I almost went for that too when they took their oath of enlistment this Saturday.

Great capture clap.gif
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
    edited June 8, 2009
    A thought just occurred to me. I hate to bear bad news, but I'd hate even more to see you get disqualified. Did you shoot the recruits on or after 1 June 2009? If not, you may have to reshoot per the rules. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129426
    - Joe
    edited June 8, 2009
    After going through some of the other entries I remembered this picture I took during a local professional hockey game.

Our team was not doing so well and this gentleman was venting his anger on anyone who would skate by his spot on the glass that was not wearing our team's sweater.

Its a tad busy as far as perspective and I have no idea how I caught all the reflections - I start to get a headache when I try to unravel them.

Anyways...

"The Heckler"

TheHeckler_KCox-1.jpg

Which do you all think would be better...this one or "New Recruits"?

Appreciate the C&C's.
    edited June 8, 2009
    silversx80 wrote:
    A thought just occurred to me. I hate to bear bad news, but I'd hate even more to see you get disqualified. Did you shoot the recruits on or after 1 June 2009? If not, you may have to reshoot per the rules. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129426

Oops..."New Recruits" was taken on 30 May 09 - a reshoot is impossible...this was a major event that only happens once a year. :uhoh

Looks like I am disqualified right outta the gate - guess I should have read the rules better. deal.gif

Thanks for the info silversx80.

To the admins - feel free to delete this thread.
    edited June 9, 2009
    Oh man.. total bummer.......................... The recruits was perfect.. I really liked your rework on it... oh well..

anyways..... as far as the second photo, it is a bit busy there.......... however, the title you gave it and the fact that the main subject says singular... It would qualify..

if you decide not to enter this one, then I would definitely put it over into the reflections and refractions contest.. a lot of reflection going on here, you may just win the mini with it, you never know..

Kat
    edited June 9, 2009
    "The Heckler" was taken at least a few months ago. So it won't qualify for this challenge or the other. Oh well.

Again...thanks for the help and the encouragement. Back to the shadows I go.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    KipCox wrote:
    "The Heckler" was taken at least a few months ago. So it won't qualify for this challenge or the other. Oh well.

actually in the mini's there isn't the same "fresh" photo rules.
    read rule #3
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=933205&postcount=1
    edited June 9, 2009
    KipCox wrote:

Just a minor set-back. You've got nearly a week left to shoot for this challenge (by 8:00 am Eastern on Monday). I say you should whip that camera out and give it another go. thumb.gif
    - Joe
    edited June 9, 2009
    yep, it qualifies perfectly for the mini.. no time stamp requirement on those..

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    KipCox wrote:

It qualifies for the mini challenge. deal.gif And, it's a great shot! :D
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thanks for the help and the compliments. I posted the color version of "The Heckler" in the Mini-challenge here. I did a little post-processing and re-cropped it to put a little more emphasis on the subject and the reflections.

Again, thanks for everyone's inputs, you ALL are awesome. thumb.gif