It was the best of models, it was the worst of models...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited June 9, 2009 in People
So I just did a shoot with this guy today... he's not much to look at and he didn't even bother to shave, but on the other hand he works for free, he's fairly patient, and apparently he's always available. Just the model to test out my new 80-200 2.8 on:

451970213_Rc78M-L-2.jpg

WOW I love this lens. This was shot at 2.8, 145mm, 1/40 sec... beautiful bokeh and very sharp, even wide open. Lit with an SB900 into a shoot through umbrella at camera right in TTL mode fired via the popup on my D90 (I'm learning to let go of my manual fetish and trust TTL more... it really does save a lot of time in many cases... the trick is knowing when to cut your losses and switch to manual). In this case the flash was just there for a bit of fill and to light up the eyes. I'm still getting the hang of balancing flash with daylight and figuring out what will and will not work... very pleased with this method though. Of course it only worked like this because the sky was totally overcast. No doubt a different approach would be called for under direct sunlight.

Comments, critiques, etc. welcome. I'd especially be interested in hearing your favorite methods of working with outdoor flash.

Comments

• DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I like the lighting and looks like your lens works amazing, great bokeh as you said, but did you retouch the skin in post? This guy is a big man, and has a scruffy beard.. the fact that this guys skin is smother than a babys butt is not working with me haha. Seems to me it should be a little more rugged and have some texture??ne_nau.gif
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    I like the lighting and looks like your lens works amazing, great bokeh as you said, but did you retouch the skin in post? This guy is a big man, and has a scruffy beard.. the fact that this guys skin is smother than a babys butt is not working with me haha. Seems to me it should be a little more rugged and have some texture??ne_nau.gif

Well the guy is me... ;)

But anyway I did some skin retouching but it was really just standard blemish removal. Didn't figure you guys wanted to see all my pimples. No skin softening was done though. The texture is still there if you see it larger, but I think it's hidden partially by the exposure. The red channel in the skin is just on the verge of clipping without actually being blown out. Of course the very soft lighting plays a part as well, as does the minimal depth of field.

I just looked at the original and as far as texture it looks pretty much the same. No surface blurs or porcelain treatment here. Maybe I just have a babyface? rolleyes1.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:

Good shot- love his eyes. I agree about the skin looking too smooth to be believable on this guy. If it were a child or a woman, it would work. It definitely doesn't look plastic to me, but just doesn't seem to fit this guy.

Caroline
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    if that is you then who is in your icon? I thought THAT was you?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited June 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    if that is you then who is in your icon? I thought THAT was you?

They're both me... I grew a beard, lol.

And of course the lighting makes all the difference. My avatar was lit with a bare sb600 4 inches from the side of my face. THAT shot has plenty of texture to go around for everyone!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    They're both me... I grew a beard, lol.

And of course the lighting makes all the difference. My avatar was lit with a bare sb600 4 inches from the side of my face. THAT shot has plenty of texture to go around for everyone!

man..your icon looks totally different then that portrait. In your icon you look very serious and in your mid 40's.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited June 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    man..your icon looks totally different then that portrait. In your icon you look very serious and in your mid 40's.

HAHAHAHA, I've been known to be serious on occasion, but I have about 20 years to go before I'm in my mid forties. Although my hair doesn't seem to know that, it's already starting to go gray...
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Love the catchlights in the eyes. I'm such a sucker for good catchlights. :D

I agree with the comments about the skin looking a little too smooth for the beard and the "holy crap, that's you in both the photo and avatar?!" comments. lol3.gif You're so right: what a difference lighting makes!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Nice SP :).... I go from goatee to clean shaven and people say I look 15 years younger. I have a 70-200 L 2.8 and I absolutely love it. Great bokeh and clarity....it is a beast to carry around all day but you get used to it and when you see the results...it makes it all worth while.

thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP