Options

Good travelling tripod?

ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited June 15, 2005 in Accessories
Preferably a light, small folding tripod that becomes a good size when folded out (say 4-5 feet tall). It only needs to be reasonably stable, not very expensive (100 dollar or less range) and be able to support a canon dslr w/ a grip and a 10-22 or 24-70 f2.8 type lens. I dont really care about how good of a head it will have just, just that it can pan or tilt and lock in place.

Any suggestions? :dunno
www.chase.smugmug.com
I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8

Comments

• Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Woops, just realized this should probably be under accessories. If a mod sees this...maybe they could move it or something if that is ok.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 15, 2005
    I have a small Gitzo. It's a G1126. Nice, stable but maybe outside the
    price range you mentioned.

Why is stability less of a concern?
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    hmmm...
    If stability isn't *that* much of an issue, would a monopod work? Not sure what you're shooting, so obviously, that may be a resounding NO :D

Small, light, and well built? First thing that comes to mind are SLIK tripods. Surprisingly well built for the money, and considering a great "bang-for-your-buck tripod. Best of all they are in your price range.

After that, as Ian already said, the Gitzos pretty much set the standard, but not under $100 even used as far as I know.

Bogen makes a great light weight (relatively speaking, we're not talking carbon fiber here), fairly stable tripod series-the 3001's. I got a great deal on a used one :D (that's for andy...), but even new you can get the legs for around $125 and a decent (read-useable) head for about $30 more. You may be able to find a pre-packaged kit for less than that at B&H. Search for "tripods-kits" or something similar on their website.

Last, but not least-check out Fred Miranda's Buy & Sell forum. Always great deals there. May take you awhile to spot a good tripod deal but it's worth a look. Put up a WTB (want to buy) over there and here and see what you get.

Good luck with your search,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 15, 2005
    I should add. The reason I spent so much was because it had to fit in the
    side cases of the bike. The Gitz does. But otherwise, it's also one of the
    most compact without giving up stability.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    Woops, just realized this should probably be under accessories. If a mod sees this...maybe they could move it or something if that is ok.
    You may want to look at the tripods offered by Orion at telescopes.com
    They have a light tripod they call the Tritech field tripod. Small light sturdy and cheap but of good quality. Designed to hold small scope or large binocular. Runs about 47.95 on sale. I have the paragon pro model and use it for camera and medium weidht scope. A little heavy to carry around on a bike or back pack.
    Hope this helps
    Bob
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    I have the Manfrotto 714B:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278257&is=REG

It works ok, it is small and light, the tripod head holds 5.5 pounds, but if you do a vertical shot with a heavy lens, the head will slip slowly. If you are trying to do stacked shots it will drive you crazy mwink.gif

So right now I think I am going to go for the 724B which has a rating of 7.7 pounds that it can hold. It's just a tad bigger and heavier.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=283689&is=REG
    Chase wrote:
    Preferably a light, small folding tripod that becomes a good size when folded out (say 4-5 feet tall). It only needs to be reasonably stable, not very expensive (100 dollar or less range) and be able to support a canon dslr w/ a grip and a 10-22 or 24-70 f2.8 type lens. I dont really care about how good of a head it will have just, just that it can pan or tilt and lock in place.

Any suggestions? ne_nau.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Chase
    15524779-Ti.gif with Shay
    The 714B will drive you crazy
    Works great for small cameras 717,828 but not with 20d
    I have one wish I would have went bigger.
    If you are looking for night shots go with the 3001BD Deluxe or bigger
    It will handle 11 lbs and when folded it's abt 20.5" $114

Bogen / Manfrotto 3001BN $90 I have this one nice but I don't like the leg adjustment knobs.
    Bogen / Manfrotto 3001BPRO this would be the next jump up $125 I like this one:D
    I will probably move up to this one sooner or later ne_nau.gif

Fred
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    I'll sell you this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=333974&is=REG

It's extremely light, 2.2 lbs. Not the sturdiest when legs are full out for the max height, but if you don't use the bottom sections for the legs it works well.

It's in mint condition and comes with the box. $70 shipped.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    If stability isn't *that* much of an issue, would a monopod work? Not sure what you're shooting, so obviously, that may be a resounding NO :D

Small, light, and well built? First thing that comes to mind are SLIK tripods. Surprisingly well built for the money, and considering a great "bang-for-your-buck tripod. Best of all they are in your price range.

After that, as Ian already said, the Gitzos pretty much set the standard, but not under $100 even used as far as I know.

Bogen makes a great light weight (relatively speaking, we're not talking carbon fiber here), fairly stable tripod series-the 3001's. I got a great deal on a used one :D (that's for andy...), but even new you can get the legs for around $125 and a decent (read-useable) head for about $30 more. You may be able to find a pre-packaged kit for less than that at B&H. Search for "tripods-kits" or something similar on their website.

Last, but not least-check out Fred Miranda's Buy & Sell forum. Always great deals there. May take you awhile to spot a good tripod deal but it's worth a look. Put up a WTB (want to buy) over there and here and see what you get.

Good luck with your search,

Mongrel
    Long exposure landscape type stuff when i am on vacation.......it needs to be stable alright, just not rock solid. I would be using it with a remote and no fast action panning and all that. Just basic, basic landscape shots with slow shutter speeds and a remote.....

I think I need to go to a store and check them out...its too hard deciding if it will fit well in a suitcase by reading specs on a webpage. I need to know width folded etc....
    www.chase.smugmug.com