rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in People
Strobist info: 580EXII through umbrella via ST-E2 ~ at night on location

As always, C&C welcome
Randy

Comments

• JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Good shot! My only issue is her pupils - they don't look black. Did you enhance her eye color or anything that possibly spilled over on to her pupils making them blue-ish? Other than that it is great. thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    JAMoore wrote:
    Good shot! My only issue is her pupils - they don't look black. Did you enhance her eye color or anything that possibly spilled over on to her pupils making them blue-ish? Other than that it is great. thumb.gif

That was very strange. Brought the pic up in PS and sure enough, the pupils had blue in them. I blackened them, but all I had done in post was clone out some stray hairs and some hair in the bg, off of her shoulder.

Good eye, and thanks for looking and commenting thumb.gif
    Randy
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Great post Randy. I'm still thinking about what to add to my 580 EXII. Looks like your combo works very well. thumb.gif

(The pupils look black on my monitor)

Dan
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    The pupils look black to me....although....now that Ive studied them and noticed her left pupil being larger than the right one it kinda just jumps out at me now.

This caused, Im sure, by the disparity in lighting between the near eye and far eye.

Its a nice looking shot though!thumb.gif

I wonder.....what it might look like with a second flash set for some rim lighting along her left side to separate her from the background?

In any event, it appears as if someone is enjoying a new piece of gear.:D
    edited June 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The pupils look black to me....although....now that Ive studied them and noticed her left pupil being larger than the right one it kinda just jumps out at me now.

This caused, I'm sure, by the disparity in lighting between the near eye and far eye.

Its a nice looking shot though!thumb.gif

I wonder.....what it might look like with a second flash set for some rim lighting along her left side to separate her from the background?

In any event, it appears as if someone is enjoying a new piece of gear.:D

Hey Jeff,

yeah, the pupils are black now that I blackened them and replaced the image that JAMoore commented about.

I completely agree with you about a second flash would have enhanced the photo for a hair/rim light. But, this was a strobist shoot and I/we were just using one light this time out. Same night & event as my other shots of Vionna that you commented on.

Your gonna' keep after me until you wrestle the words "I like my ST-E2" out of my mouth. Oh O, I think you just did rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited June 8, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great post Randy. I'm still thinking about what to add to my 580 EXII. Looks like your combo works very well. thumb.gif

(The pupils look black on my monitor)

Dan

Hey, thanks Dan

Yeah, I replaced the image after JAMoore noticed blue in the pupils. I have no idea how it got there, but I fixed it!

Appreciate your input
    Randy
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I like the dramatic lighting on this one. I agree about the rim light, but understand that it was a one light shoot. Shooting at night is tough- did you have a light on her for focusing?
    edited June 8, 2009
    I like the dramatic lighting on this one. I agree about the rim light, but understand that it was a one light shoot. Shooting at night is tough- did you have a light on her for focusing?

No light for focusing, just the ST-E2 and it's focus assist pattern.

Jeff is laughing right now...this is killing me, speaking highly of the ST-E2 rolleyes1.gif

I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment thumb.gif
    Randy
  • JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    That was very strange. Brought the pic up in PS and sure enough, the pupils had blue in them. I blackened them, but all I had done in post was clone out some stray hairs and some hair in the bg, off of her shoulder.

Good eye, and thanks for looking and commenting thumb.gif

Looks perfect now clap.gif

I think a second flash would have been nice, but then again it would have a much different feel than this (apples...oranges). I like her expression fading into the darkness.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Jeff,

Your gonna' keep after me until you wrestle the words "I like my ST-E2" out of my mouth. Oh O, I think you just did rolleyes1.gif

Well....

That wasn't REALLY that hard to say....was it?rolleyes1.gif

It is missing some functionality, but simplicity is also one of it's best features.

In regards to a single light source....

Its an excellent approach to lighting, qand the one I most often use

Enjoy!:D
  • ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Awesome awesome eyes! like the lighting but to me she looks nervous or scared i'd be interested to see a different shot
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    randy the side lighitng is really revealing a lot of skin texture that maybe highlighting more then neccessary imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited June 8, 2009
    sser wrote:
    Awesome awesome eyes! like the lighting but to me she looks nervous or scared i'd be interested to see a different shot

Thanks sser,

I only shot a couple of pics of her that night. I was shooting the other models. I'll assure you she wasn't scared nor nervous. She shoots with photogs a lot and is use to a camera stuck in her face.

Thanks again for looking and commenting. C&C always helps thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited June 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    randy the side lighitng is really revealing a lot of skin texture that maybe highlighting more then neccessary imo.

What are your suggestions?
    Inquiring minds want to know what your thinking thumb.gif
    Randy