Options

Shooting a Baby Shower

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Technique
I shot a baby shower yesterday, it was my first "job" however I was not paid. It was for my aunt's neighbor. It was more for practice and so noone had to take pictures themselves but they wouldn't have actually hired a photographer had I not been there. I found it a little difficult for a few reasons. One was due to the lighting conditions. I used a mounted flash and bounced off the ceiling but it was in the living room of the home that had almost no windows, vaulted ceilings with wood beams sticking out, and then the rooms leading into it had short ceilings. So I had to be standing behind people the whole time because the room was taken up in a circle of chairs. It was not a very large room either. Another thing I found that was difficult is that there wasn't really a lot going on. I mean i took pictures of the details-cake, food, presents, decorations and got some good shots of some of the silly games. But other than that I just wonder what else is there to get? I mean I kept shooting the mom-to-be of course, and the guests but in 3 1/2 hours there are only so many pictures you can take of 12 people just sitting there. Noone seemed into it at all, even the mom-to-be... after it was over I wanted to take her outside to get some shots but she didn't want anything to do with it.. She just stood there not smiling even after I was trying to get her into it. I don't know maybe she was tired but it was like pulling teeth.

Overall it was blah, no excitement in the room really.

I wonder what anyone elses experiences are like if you've done baby showers?

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I've done 2, as practice, my daughter's and a teen mother to be that got married asap. You got all the highlights, if they won't loosen up that stinks. The best part is people's expressions but your group didn't sound very expressive. All in all I bet your photos are 500 % better than what a guest would have done.

here is a link to my daughter's shower in our home...

http://cottageink.smugmug.com/gallery/7098831_jYsvf/1/455081193_sHGJ4
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I had the same problem with a bridal/lingerie shower. You'd think there would be a little more partying at a bridal shower! Overall I was not happy with the outcome but I did what I could with what I had. Good practice if nothing else.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I've done 2, as practice, my daughter's and a teen mother to be that got married asap. You got all the highlights, if they won't loosen up that stinks. The best part is people's expressions but your group didn't sound very expressive. All in all I bet your photos are 500 % better than what a guest would have done.

here is a link to my daughter's shower in our home...

http://cottageink.smugmug.com/gallery/7098831_jYsvf/1/455081193_sHGJ4

thanks for sharing those! I had a lot less ambient light and a lot less room to work with, maybe that's why i'm not thrilled with what came out of it. it was really cluttered in there and just overall difficult. But in general i did enjoy being a photographer for the day and if nothing else, I'd rather have my first time at this be challenging than easy :)
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Khristen wrote:
    I had the same problem with a bridal/lingerie shower. You'd think there would be a little more partying at a bridal shower! Overall I was not happy with the outcome but I did what I could with what I had. Good practice if nothing else.

Wierd..I would think there would be some partying! Oh well...I agree, good practice anyway!
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Marketing department has left a message for you:

1. People don't value things as much when they get them for free.
    2. People value things that they paid for.

This is marketing psychology in action. The the brain says
    "I gave something to get this, so it must be worth it. " therefor
    they value it.

Start changeing money (even if it is little) and you'll save yourself
    from situations like this very easily. I think everyone makes a similar
    experience at one point or another. So don't let yourself
    down and keep on shooting and have fun doing it mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Marketing department has left a message for you:

1. People don't value things as much when they get them for free.
    2. People value things that they paid for.

This is marketing psychology in action. The the brain says
    "I gave something to get this, so it must be worth it. " therefor
    they value it.

Start changeing money (even if it is little) and you'll save yourself
    from situations like this very easily. I think everyone makes a similar
    experience at one point or another. So don't let yourself
    down and keep on shooting and have fun doing it mwink.gif

You know what, I think that is exactly it. I don't even think it was her idea to have me there. Her mom is my aunts neighbor and my aunt had made the suggestion to the mom, then to me. So it all makes sense. Well either way it was a great learning experience. I will be second shooting a wedding here soon, also for free...but the main shooter is not for free so I bet I will have a better experience.