the NEW Macbook Pro - opinions needed

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited June 20, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hey.

I need both an updated main computer AND an updated laptop (I say this typing on my 12" 1Boook G4...).

Using my external monitor and keyboard (both of which I LOVE) and the array of external drives, an iMac makes no sense. (monitor, plus I hate all in one units). A Mac Pro is nice but with most discs already external, it's a bit much for what I need....

So how about a 15" MacBook Pro?? Power enough, RAM enough (although $1000 for 4gigs more ram??? omg), and I can plug it in as my 'main' unit and use the bigger monitor (23") I have and keyboard/mouse combo I love.

for the record, I have/had a mini that's decent but not cutting it and is limited in the amount of RAM upgrades it can handle.

thoughts??? not enough power to justify the price? ($2500k or so w/ ram and hd upgrades). Otherwise it's $3k or so for a MacPro and at least $1k+ for a regular Macbook.

thanks!
//Leah

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    The 15" MBP is big enough for the road. Whether you go with the new new one or the old new one is up to you rolleyes1.gif

I see no reason not to combine a nice laptop and a monitor/keyboard/mouse and what ever external drives you need at home.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    The new Mini's will take 4G of RAM, which I think is all the notebooks will take. But the notebook route is not a bad idea. At home I'm using a G4 PowerBook as my only computer, with an external keyboard, external 24" Cinema Display, and external drives, just as you intend. My big gripe with it is that its not current generation notebook with the dual-core Intel processors. :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    Snow Leopard drops support for the older machines too. Time to upgrade :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    The new Mini's will take 4G of RAM, which I think is all the notebooks will take. But the notebook route is not a bad idea. At home I'm using a G4 PowerBook as my only computer, with an external keyboard, external 24" Cinema Display, and external drives, just as you intend. My big gripe with it is that its not current generation notebook with the dual-core Intel processors. :(

nope, 8G on the new Macbook Pros :) hence the desire for such and limitation of the mini.
    //Leah
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    So how about a 15" MacBook Pro?? Power enough, RAM enough (although $1000 for 4gigs more ram??? omg), and I can plug it in as my 'main' unit and use the bigger monitor (23") I have and keyboard/mouse combo I love.

I usually buy an "affordable" Apple configuration and do the upgrades via third parties, often waiting until the chip prices drop. If you needed 8GB now, the kit is $638 at macsales.com not including their trade-in rebate for the Apple RAM.

From my perspective, things have never been better. Hard drives are user-replaceable, which was not the case on Apple pro line laptops before the unibody. My 13" G3 PowerBook was $3299, my 15" PowerBook was $2599, my MacBook Pro was $1999, the new MacBook Pro starts at $1699. If I needed a new laptop now, I wouldn't hesitate to take the base level 15" MBP at that price.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    I usually buy an "affordable" Apple configuration and do the upgrades via third parties, often waiting until the chip prices drop. If you needed 8GB now, the kit is $638 at macsales.com not including their trade-in rebate for the Apple RAM.

EXCELLENT to know, thank you! :)wings.gifwings.gif
    //Leah
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I just ordered the 17" Mac Book Pro with the standard 4gig. Should be in Wednesday. If anyone is interested I will let you know how it runs on 4gigs.

colrobox, thanks for the link. Good price if I decide I need it later.
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Mbp
    I just got my 15" Macbook Pro and love it. It runs great and is relatively easy to tote around, giving me more options than just the home desktop to process photos, etc. I should have gotten it sooner!

I do have another question for the group, however. I need a monitor at home for photo processing since I'm ditching my PC. I checked out Apple's 24" monitor for MBP, but it has a glossy screen and the reviews aren't good.
    The price is just under $1000 and with speakers that sound horrible built in, I wasn't impressed. Maybe the future ones will be better.

Any suggestions on another monitor to use with my MB Pro?
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I can't say much about the Apple monitor as far as use goes, but one key feature to bear in mind: the Apple monitors plug into the MBP via their mini display port connector. But what is cool is that if you have your MBP closed and even asleep, if you plug in the monitor to the MBP, it will wake up, and turn on, even with the lid closed...basically, a poor man's dock. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and you have a cool set up.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    justus wrote:
    I just got my 15" Macbook Pro and love it. It runs great and is relatively easy to tote around, giving me more options than just the home desktop to process photos, etc. I should have gotten it sooner!

I do have another question for the group, however. I need a monitor at home for photo processing since I'm ditching my PC. I checked out Apple's 24" monitor for MBP, but it has a glossy screen and the reviews aren't good.
    The price is just under $1000 and with speakers that sound horrible built in, I wasn't impressed. Maybe the future ones will be better.

Any suggestions on another monitor to use with my MB Pro?

Sit down before you check the price. rolleyes1.gif
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9179LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjE0NTg4OA
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    the Apple monitor...what is cool is that if you have your MBP closed and even asleep, if you plug in the monitor to the MBP, it will wake up, and turn on, even with the lid closed...basically, a poor man's dock. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and you have a cool set up.

You don't need an Apple monitor to do that. A closed Mac laptop can be awakened by plugging in a USB peripheral or changing its Bluetooth settings it so that it can be awakened by nudging its paired Bluetooth wireless keyboard or mouse. I have an Apple monitor that I depend on, but it is not necessary. It was a good idea a couple years ago, but these days, for photography, just get something with an IPS panel and it ought to serve you well for less money than the limited and pricey Apple offerings.