The endless US95

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited June 12, 2009 in Landscapes
Somewhere in upstate Nevada on a long drive to Tahoe from AZ. The clouds were amazing, so I took a shot through the windshield. One of the first shots with my new 5DMII. Shot raw and very little in the way of PP. I think the windshield polarized it or something.
IMG_0212.jpg

Comments

• tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Your windshield so clean for such a long drive. What happened to the bugs?
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    tisun wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

It looks like it leans to the right a few degrees. Look at the horizon/road. rolleyes1.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I love road shots like this. Boy oh boy! Look at those awesome clouds! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Wow, very nice Joel. When did you get the new camera? Do you love it? Why did you go full frame?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    It looks like it leans to the right a few degrees. Look at the horizon/road. rolleyes1.gif
    You have a firm grasp of the obvious.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    tisun wrote:

Joel cleans it with the Copper Hill method.rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    I love road shots like this. Boy oh boy! Look at those awesome clouds! :D

Thanks, Mahesh! I peeked in your gallery, and holy cow! You've got some incredible stuff in there. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Such a beautiful photograph ! lovely scene
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Mahesh! I peeked in your gallery, and holy cow! You've got some incredible stuff in there. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey...thanks, Joel! Well, I've been doing this digital photography thing for a while now. You know what they say...even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. mwink.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thats an awesome shot!
    edited June 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Wow, very nice Joel. When did you get the new camera? Do you love it? Why did you go full frame?
    Thanks, Dan!. I got it just before my trip to Tahoe in April. You may have seen the Mono Lake and Donner Lake shots that I posted a while back which were all taken with it.

I got the 5DMII for landscapes and people shots. I was hoping the full-frame sensor would give me an edge on getting better color saturation and lower noise. Plus, I've started to dabble into commercial photography, and wanted the best image quality I can afford.

I must say I've not been disappointed. I feel like the quality of my shots definitely went up a notch. I still use my 40D for telephoto shots, and will probably always keep a crop-body camera as a backup for that reason. Plus, the video feature is an amazing perk to have, especially with kids.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited June 9, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, that's the ticket! :lol4
    edited June 9, 2009
    Such a beautiful photograph ! lovely scene

Thanks, Awais! It's always good to keep a camera in reach on your travels, as I know you know. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Dan!. I got it just before my trip to Tahoe in April. You may have seen the Mono Lake and Donner Lake shots that I posted a while back which were all taken with it.

I got the 5DMII for landscapes and people shots. I was hoping the full-frame sensor would give me an edge on getting better color saturation and lower noise. Plus, I've started to dabble into commercial photography, and wanted the best image quality I can afford.

I must say I've not been disappointed. I feel like the quality of my shots definitely went up a notch. I still use my 40D for telephoto shots, and will probably always keep a crop-body camera as a backup for that reason. Plus, the video feature is an amazing perk to have, especially with kids.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. That's what I was afraid of rolleyes1.gif (the IQ is a notch better).
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Cool shot fstop! clap.gif
    And fwiw, modern cars' windows are often polarized, at least to some degree. Po' man's CP... ANd since most of the windshileds has a tint on top... it makes them po man's split ND, too:-)

Thou shalt khow thy resources! deal.gifmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    ROAD TRIP!!!!!! I am diggin those clouds too :D:D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Wait... you're not supposed to get photos this good from your car, you're supposed to work for it!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Woo! Glad to hear you got your 5D. :D it looks like it's doing you a real treat. Amazing - the shot and also your windshield.

(PS - those must be some awfully big swabs copperhill is selling these days)
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    The horizon is a tad askew, but I really like this image. It almost looks sort of "pop artish."

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Hey Joel,

I guess this is a little late, but welcome to the 5DMkII club thumb.gif

Personally, this camera brings back the joy of shooting that I last enjoyed from my Canon F1. It's just an awesome camera.

BTW, for shots from the car, hold the 5D2 close to the windshield. When you turn it on the "auto windshield cleaner" will do it's thing rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Very nice, it almost looks 3D
    edited June 11, 2009
    Khristen wrote:
    Thats an awesome shot!

Thanks, Khristen!

-joel
    edited June 11, 2009
    Wow, TONS of great comments in this thread. Thank you everybody so much. bowdown.gif

Meanwhile, I can't believe how many comments a simple shot-through-the-windshield generated. rolleyes1.gif

And what Randy said is true -- I hate to say it, but the 5DMII is simply a gas to shoot. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Wow! How'd I miss this when you first posted it?! headscratch.gif

Great shot, Joel! But I agree with Ron... you gotta stop bragging that this was shot through the windshield! You're gonna make some of us (ok, me) feel bad we don't get shots this cool when we're all set up and waiting for the perfect moment! blbl.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 12, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Wow! How'd I miss this when you first posted it?! headscratch.gif

Great shot, Joel! But I agree with Ron... you gotta stop bragging that this was shot through the windshield! You're gonna make some of us (ok, me) feel bad we don't get shots this cool when we're all set up and waiting for the perfect moment! blbl.gif

Thanks, Chris. And believe me, I know the effect as well. I almost fell over when I looked on the LCD screen and saw how great the shot looked. Good thing I didn't though because I was driving. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Very funny! That would probably require hundreds of pec pads!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+