Lazy Soho Sunday

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited June 11, 2009 in People
Something a little different from me this time. This young lady expressed interest in shooting with me a couple times, but logistics and our schedules made it a bit last-minute. I also wanted a break from my "production" shoots. Instead of worrying about wardrobe, elaborate make-up, hairstyling, and various lighting setups, I wanted to do a more casual shoot. Quite frankly, I was tired of being tethered to my lights in one spot of my home. :giggle

Thankfully, Katherine was willing to play along. She arrived, changed in to jeans and a tank top, pulled her hair down from a ponytail, and that was it. We started shooting and moved around different rooms in my house, which I've been dying to do with a model for a while now. I focused more on trying to take photos instead of make them. It was a fun and interesting creative challenge for me.

I relied mostly on natural light (all shot between noon and 3pm), though she did let me try out my DIY ringflash for a few shots. :D

I asked her to pretend that she was spending a lazy Sunday in her flat in Soho (and that she could afford a flat in Soho :lol3), first with her best friend taking pictures then more relaxed and on her own, post-hangout time. This idea clicked with her surprisingly well as I learned she's an artsy sort, involved in photography, theatre, and dance. We got along swimmingly!

1 - I actually pulled out my old cameras for props befre I knew she was taking a photography course. She loved using them during the shoot.
558330152_GnBw9-L.jpg

2 - Ringflash
558333185_FMsPU-L.jpg

558334661_DLWtq-L.jpg

558336467_mhfTk-L.jpg

558342446_rxWNC-L.jpg

558343641_ZBdkN-L.jpg

7 - I told her I wanted to end up with a mix of color and B&W shots, and that I wanted to go for a Calvin Klein look for the B&Ws. She worked with me fabulously on these.
558344860_FHTkq-L.jpg

558347255_apHzW-L.jpg

558348674_Hwui7-L.jpg

558350137_tE5GU-L.jpg

558352707_8P4Bx-L.jpg

558356462_9SgZ6-L.jpg

558358033_XfkA9-L.jpg

558359368_mjMfw-L.jpg

558361405_gwyht-L.jpg

...gah, sorry for posting so many. I just really loved working with her! :clap There are a few more here, and potentially more to come in that gallery as I haven't finished processing all the ones I like. And she hasn't even picked her choices yet.

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Wow, these are just amazing. Great work. I LOVE #3, it's just awesome.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Very very nice! thanks for sharing them all!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Awww, MAN Kerry - these are fantastic (and prove that you can do absolutely anything you put your mind to - they're totally different from your "made" shots, but also totally YOU). They're all keeperse, but I really love the lighting and processing on #2.

Thanks for sharing!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Wow, these are just amazing. Great work. I LOVE #3, it's just awesome.
    Thank you very much, Tim. iloveyou.gif
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Very very nice! thanks for sharing them all!
    Thank you for putting up with such a long post! lol3.gif And I appreciate the extra "very," very much. nod.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Awww, MAN Kerry - these are fantastic (and prove that you can do absolutely anything you put your mind to - they're totally different from your "made" shots, but also totally YOU). They're all keepers, but I really love the lighting and processing on #2.

Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you, Diva. I had such a blast playing a shoot fast and loose for a change. I also like how #2 ended up. My DIY ringflash was started the night before the shoot, after I'd had a large glass of wine. :giggle I'd finally gotten so tired of saying, "Wish I had a ringflash to try out," I got right up and made one. Finished it the next morning, two hours before she showed up. I didn't have time to pretty up the outside of it, so the model got a kick out of my peach tupperware bowl contraption. :D
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Saw these on your twitter and they are so good, I went and tried to get ahold of my friend so I could play around with my camera. Very inspiring, so thank you so much for sharing!!!
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    These are stunning! So beautiful and natural (not posed). WOW!
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    You mastered the ringflash- super great!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Kerry, as I already tweeted, great series! thumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 8, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Saw these on your twitter and they are so good, I went and tried to get ahold of my friend so I could play around with my camera. Very inspiring, so thank you so much for sharing!!!
    Aw, thankee. iloveyou.gif Hope your friend was a willing subject!
    barbnjon wrote:
    These are stunning! So beautiful and natural (not posed). WOW!
    Thank you! I'm glad the natural nature of it all shone through for you. That was definitely one of our goals.
    Khristen wrote:
    You mastered the ringflash- super great!
    So have not mastered it yet, that's just the one really good one out of a bunch of failed experiments. lol3.gif Glad you like it! I'm thrilled with how my DIY tupperware ringflash performed, and I can't wait to test it out more and hopefully get a better handle on it. :D
    Nikolai wrote:
    Kerry, as I already tweeted, great series! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Thanks, Nik! I really enjoyed this one, and I'm happy others seem to be enjoying it just as much. iloveyou.gif
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Very nice!! I really like #1 :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    Beautiful series, Kerry. clap.gif

Tell us more about the ring flash. ear.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Absolutely fantastic!!!! I LOVE the ring flash. What model of ring flash are you using? Would you mind sharing your setup for that shot in particular? Thank you for sharing. thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited June 9, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    What model of ring flash are you using?
    Tupperware. lol3.gif

The ringflash is something I jury-rigged together the night before the shoot...around 10pm after a big glass of wine. It isn't pretty, but it worked. I'd love to make another one some day with better materials, and a bigger bowl!

Since it was late and I was, uh, tipsy, I grabbed what was on hand:

1 large Tupperware bowl, about 8" in diameter, with translucent lid
    1 small bowl, about 4.5" in diameter
    1 small plastic cup, about 4" in diameter near the lip
    Black tempura paint (no spray paint on hand)
    Hot glue gun and glue
    Cardboard box
    Foil
    Box cutter and scissors (I could not for the life of me find my little hacksaw)

I've read quite a few tutorials for DIY ringflashes, but this is the one I remember making the most sense to me, and it's the one that leapt to mind at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night. :D

My small plastic bowl wasn't tall/deep enough to get flush with the lip of the larger bowl, so I used the plastic cup to boost its height a little.

This is how it turned out (still awful looking because I haven't had time to paint the outside to eliminate its homebrew appeal lol3.gif):
    559152240_LELT2-XL.jpg

And here it is on my SB800 (that line inside the black area is where the plastic cup joins the small bowl):
    559152653_SkEN4-L.jpg

Left shot is it firing without the lid "diffuser." Right shot has the lid on.
    559152271_scrF7-L.jpg

As for "setup," I just poked my lens through the center and shot. For some I tried moving the light above and once tried moving it off camera, but I'm going to need to play with it more to make it work that way.

I'm backing up my other computer right now and so can't upload the other samples I have, but here's at least one more where I used the ringflash during this session:
    558360524_bShAP-L.jpg
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    This is wonderful!!! What a great idea and use of material with a spectacular result! Thank you for sharing your secrets!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    excellent stuff...particularly love #11. Very striking.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great stuff and love your invention! Thanks for sharing :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Oh, these are so pretty! My favorite is #12, so casual & just perfect iloveyou.gif
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Awesome- thanks for instructions!!!
    edited June 9, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    This is wonderful!!! What a great idea and use of material with a spectacular result! Thank you for sharing your secrets!

Thank you. Hope it proves useful to you. thumb.gif
    chrisdg wrote:
    excellent stuff...particularly love #11. Very striking.

Thank you! I love her expression in that one.
    Great stuff and love your invention! Thanks for sharing :D

Thank you, and you're welcome! Would love to see more DIY inventions from other people on here. nod.gif
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh, these are so pretty! My favorite is #12, so casual & just perfect iloveyou.gif

Thank you, Angie! Katherine had no idea how to play the guitar, so she would make this goofy face while bobbing her head as she strummed, which made us both crack up each time she did it. I was lucky enough to stop giggling long enough to capture her awesome laughter. iloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    #3, 11, 12, and 13 for me....

Very nice job you did here and with a beautiful young lady.

I like the ringflash, but the natural light is giving some really nice play to these as well.

...and of course....the processing!!!thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing:D
  • AtlPikManAtlPikMan Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    SUPURB Series..I just cant pic a fav...Beautiful Model, Casual poses and the B&W Treatment takes the cake...clap.gif
    edited June 9, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Very nice job you did here and with a beautiful young lady.

Thank you, Jeff. I adore the windows in my home and used them so much for lighting my daily project photos, I thought it was about time I tried them on a different subject. :D

The processing was a complete change from my usual. Most of these were cooked in Lightroom. I almost always drag my finals into Photoshop, and this time I only did it for sharpening. Did things all sorts of different for this one.
    AtlPikMan wrote:
    SUPURB Series..I just cant pic a fav...Beautiful Model, Casual poses and the B&W Treatment takes the cake...clap.gif

Thank you so much. iloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thank you, Jeff. I adore the windows in my home and used them so much for lighting my daily project photos, I thought it was about time I tried them on a different subject. :D

The processing was a complete change from my usual. Most of these were cooked in Lightroom. I almost always drag my finals into Photoshop, and this time I only did it for sharpening. Did things all sorts of different for this one.

Thank you so much. iloveyou.gif

Curious why you don't sharpen in Lightroom......do you sharpen at all in lightroom?

I used to be the same way...still am to a degree, only because I didn't really...and still sort of don't like the way LR handles sharpening. I am trusting it a little more. I still like the High Pass method in PS best though. I really should web search for a good LR sharpening tute....using the masking...all that good stuff. If I find one Ill pass it on.
  • JDEORTAJDEORTA Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Nice job! I like them all but I have to say 13 is my Favorite one. clap.gif
    Jose D.
    Canon 40D
    EF 28-135 IS USM
    Speedlight 580EX II

www.deortaphotography.com
    edited June 9, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Curious why you don't sharpen in Lightroom......do you sharpen at all in lightroom?

I don't sharpen at all in LR. I just don't like the way it does it. I mainly use Manny Librodo's technique at the moment. I used High Pass for quite a while, but something about Manny's technique really floors me every time.

I have taken to doing localized exposure adjustments in LR using the brush tool, as I love the soft transition it provides. Don't do it for small, detailed areas, though.

If you do stumble across a good LR sharpening technique, please do share. I'd love to experiment, too.
    JDEORTA wrote:
    Nice job! I like them all but I have to say 13 is my Favorite one. clap.gif

Thank you. iloveyou.gif
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Just curious, because you seem to have the info turned off in your gallery, but is the DOF all straight out of the camera? If so, you managed that superbly well!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
    edited June 9, 2009
    1pocket wrote:
    Just curious, because you seem to have the info turned off in your gallery, but is the DOF all straight out of the camera? If so, you managed that superbly well!

Sorry, I do lock that down just because I loathe pop-ups on other sites and refuse to visit them on others. :giggle All the DOF is SOOC, achieved using a 50/1.4 on my D700, shooting between 1.4 and 4 mostly. I also rarely crop in post now, unless it's to make a 5x7 from a 4x6, so the compositions are also as shot. I'll turn the EXIF on in that gallery for a short while for anyone else who's curious.

Thank you for the kind words!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    These are all great, but the real stand-outs for me were:

#3) The lighting is nice & those eyes...

#11) Great comp, light & processing

Thanks for posting thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Hey, cool ringflash! I made one like that a while back following that same tutorial, but like you (as per your comments) my ringflash quest was not complete. Having the flash on one side produces uneven light. When it's on the bottom like this you get more light from beneath producing the upward shadow in your shots. Now, it's not like this is a huge deal, and your shots look great as is, but what I ended up doing was going for a two flash setup in order to get more even lighting.

What I came up with works quite well as far as the light goes, but it is heavy and a bit cumbersome. On the other hand it lets me get at my focus and zoom rings (at least on my Tamron 28-75 which was my primary portrait lens when I got it... using it with my 80-200 is a bit more challenging but the zoom ring is still available) which is what drove me crazy about the tupperware version I made.

Anyway if you want to check it out there's a thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122873&highlight=ringflash
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    the ring flash has done a very nice job on the face and hair in #2, I can sure see its value

(no poetry this time!)
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix