Water

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in Landscapes
A local publication is having a photo contest with the theme "Water." Pretty broad theme. I live on an island, so I have quite a few pictures of water. But the theme is so vague, I'm having a hard time deciding.

As a contest goes, it's just for bragging rights. They have editors that narrow the choices down to 20 or so photos, and then it is by popular vote.

So my question for you is, if you had to capture "Water" is a photograph, and make it popular, as in postcard popular (since it is by popular vote), what would you shoot?

An easier question, looking at the below photos, do any of them speak to you according to this theme? Which should I submit?

Thanks,

Greg

1. Cisco sunset waves
526690099_5uP2v-L.jpg

2. Wave detail
515277410_V2nuc-L.jpg

3. Drama sky
558544293_5pBKN-L.jpg

4. Still harbor
510684956_3xZWz-L.jpg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    If I had to choose, I'd go for #3. Drama Sky. The composition and light are beautiful; the sky is interesting, and the water makes for great textures in the FG. As for as overall image, I think I really like #4. Still Harbor. The light and boats are sublime. However, for your contest where water is the central theme, I'd go for #3, as I mentioned. Good luck! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif Drama Sky is a real winner for me. You've got light, color, composition, it all works there. Good luck!
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Very nice!

My personal preference is #1 because the darkness from the clouds gives it a sense of menace and foreboding. I think it turns it into something other than the usual sunset at the beach picture. But that's my own taste. And it's probably why I've never won a photo competition.

Otherwise, I agree with others that #3 is the nicest. It does looks like the horizon is tilted every so slightly? The horizon is curved as well but for me that is less distracting than what seems to me to be a slight tilt.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I go for #3, though the processing has gone too far and a little off track (and there's some blown patches, the horizon droops towards the right). Have another think about what you want to achieve with the PP is my advice.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback! I see the tilt now that you point it out. I can fix that! I think the whole horizon is skewed by the 11mm focal length (on a D90), and that is either highlighted more on the right, or made me miss it.

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I'd submit 3 as well. Very nice composition lovely sky and water. I like how you got down low and in the water for the shot.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Nice shots.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    They're all great shots, Greg! Nice work! thumb.gif

I'd have to go for number 3 as well. I'm not sure if it fits the typical "postcard" look you mentioned, but it certainly fits the theme!

Coincidently, the local photo club I'm in just had a "Water" theme, which I won with this image. It's really just for bragging rights there as well, and I'm certainly not saying it's better than yours, just showing a recent example of how "water" is perceived in San Diego!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited June 11, 2009
    Nice shot Chris. I like the energy.

I have found myself looking through smugmug galleries for ocean pics. Looking for new ways to compose the scenes that I almost take for granted.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited June 20, 2009
    Let me throw another one out there, that I took this morning. Something about how it shows "water," without featuring water, appeals to me:

568852050_eL6Md-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #3 for me works the best out of all of these.
    That has a lot of drama for me and a high impact.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • MalxMalx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2009
    I'd still go for number 3.
    Nice shots.
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #1. sorry to throw a spanner in the works, as #3 seems to be the favourite. i really love the symmetry and balance of the clouds against the water. much more interesting - the texture of the clouds matches the water, and the bright area of the the sky matches the area of the sand where the water has receded. despite the symmetry and apparent harmony, the light and the mood gives a more menacing message of nature's power, and this becomes a much more dramatic image. for me, anyway. best of luck, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    like 'em all, but #2 and 3 remind me of the kind of thing you see in hotel lobbies, offices, etc.... very nicely composed!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I am going to go with #3 also. It is an outstanding photo!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I'm feeling #3 also. Love water. Don't get out to photo it much, but I love seeing them.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK