Options

Seeking a Particular b/w PP

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Finishing School
It's very grainy. High Contrast to the point of almost looking like a line drawing.

Anyone willing to divulge the secret of this PP technique?

(I hope I've described the desired end result coherently)

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    How about some links to examples, Sara?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    How about some links to examples, Sara?

The only examples are in my mind, and I don't think there exists (yet) the software to link to that. :D

All I can tell you is: very high contrast, very grainy, not a lot of detail, along the lines of a pencil or pen and ink sketch.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    The only examples are in my mind, and I don't think there exists (yet) the software to link to that. :D

All I can tell you is: very high contrast, very grainy, not a lot of detail, along the lines of a pencil or pen and ink sketch.

Try playing around with the filters in photoshop. There are several that are meant to emulate sketches in various media. One of these might be what you're looking for, or you could do it on separate layer and blend it with a straight black and white copy, etc. Just experiment. If there's no existing examples of what you want then you're going to have to figure it out yourself.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    You aren't going to get much help without a better description or examples. But you might try google for "non photorealistic rendering". You'll find tons and tons of examples, maybe some will be sort of like what you are trying to describe and you'll have a thread to pull on. You can always blend a NPR version with a realistic one to make it more photographic.

I'd attack the grain and contrast separately for this, BTW. If you can get the contrast you like, you can add grain and visa versa. Looking for the single recipe that does both will make it less likely you'll find it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    Sara,

You can get a line drawing from an image in Photoshop a number of ways using the filters within Photoshop. I found this technique with a quick Google of "line drawing" Here is another

Today I tend to use Topaz Simplify for a quick way to get a line drawing to use to punch an image with a line drawing effect among other things. I used it to get this fellows portrait

518820307_uCu32-L.jpg

You can then add grain either directly from Photoshop's Noise filter or via a number of software packages like Grain Surgery or others.

You can also scan a sheet of exposed film on a flat bed scanner for a frame of noise to use.

You can even find image files of B&W film to download on the web as well but I can't seem to find the link right now...

Are these suggestions any help with what you had in mind?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    then you're going to have to figure it out yourself.

Thank you. I figured it would ultimately come down to this. But thought it was worth a shot, asking if there was already a recipe out there.

Closest I can describe it is: Tri-x, slightly over-developed, printing on #4 paper, accidentally under-exposing in the enlarger.

Words, however, seem to be failing me here.

Now that school is over, I will have time to mess with this. :D

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sara,

You can get a line drawing from an image in Photoshop a number of ways using the filters within Photoshop. I found this technique with a quick Google of "line drawing" Here is another

Today I tend to use Topaz Simplify for a quick way to get a line drawing to use to punch an image with a line drawing effect among other things. I used it to get this fellows portrait

518820307_uCu32-L.jpg

You can then add grain either directly from Photoshop's Noise filter or via a number of software packages like Grain Surgery or others.

You can also scan a sheet of exposed film on a flat bed scanner for a frame of noise to use.

You can even find image files of B&W film to download on the web as well but I can't seem to find the link right now...

Are these suggestions any help with what you had in mind?

Pathfinder - thank you. These look interesting (will have time later this evening to take a better look). I have a hunch that what I'm looking for is really simple - possibly zipping highlights way over to the left in curves (after b/w conversion), tweaking a few other things. I may even be remembering something I fell on accidentally - oh! I think my printer was mal-functioning, and I remember thinking, that's kind of cool - but how do you re-create a broken printer? :D (baseball bat?)

Will play with this stuff over the next few days, will post my results - here's hoping.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    This approaches what I had in mind, though not necessarily for this image. Took 20 seconds - slid highlights half way over to left, darks about a third of the way to the right. I'm sure there's more that can be done along these lines. It's just an idea I've had in my head for a while - not sure what I'll actually use it for.

559669954_rKFrW-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    One more quickie. This is basically all I was trying to do, though I'd like a little more grain - no problem if I crank the ISO up on the G9.

559682692_2p7qp-M-0.jpg
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    One more quickie. This is basically all I was trying to do, though I'd like a little more grain - no problem if I crank the ISO up on the G9.

Try the Film Grain filter in photoshop, or add noise.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Try the Film Grain filter in photoshop, or add noise.

Got it. Thanks - you've all gotten me pointed in the right direction. This is simply Filter>Texture>Grain. Not a finished product, but now I know where I'm going with this.

559981441_iLXuN-M.jpg
  • Options
    SpiderJohn23SpiderJohn23 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Maybe this?
    Sara,

I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but, I recently downloaded an action called Antique Stipple Engraving which gives a somewhat grainy effect.

I tried to link to one of my shots on the web, but, you can't really see the effect that much.

Anyway, you can download the action here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/4627-photo-art-photoshop-action-bill-millers-antique-stipple-engraving.html

It might be worth checking out.

sj
  • Options
    kirktkirkt Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2009
    For film grain options, you may want to take a look at:

http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRFilmGrainEffects

Kirk