Options

#27 Attempt

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited June 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on my first attempt at #27? I'm still not sure about a title yet, atm I have it under 'Six of the very best'

558472650_yRTDw-L.jpg
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Hmmm, I like how it is exposed, and the contrast suits the photo nicely. In my opinion (and take it with a LARGE grain of salt), the out-of-focus part of the neck and head stock (in the foreground) are distracting from the subject. Maybe a little more depth of field and a higher angle to the neck to place more emphasis on the strings would do the trick. Other than that, I really like the idea.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Composition is great,thumb.gif and it's on theme,thumb.gif but I'd like too see more of the strings, since they are the nominal subject. Shallow DoF is fine, but this is a little too shallow for my taste.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    very well set up... I just don't favor the blur up front.. I would rather see more DOF and then blur it as you go along toward the "back most" hand, but for some reason with strings, you think sharp and tight and to see them blurred is keeping the composition from being pleasing.. I like the mood of the setting and the conversion though...rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • Options
    JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback - it seems all are agreed that the DOF is too shallow, with the strings not prominent enough and the out of focus foreground too dominant?

I shall try and reshoot - although knowing me, I'll probably end up with something totally differentrolleyes1.gif
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Well you did give a title that speaks for the strings, so yes,, I think a reshoot is definitely in order... but that's the fun part and it hones the skills...:D

I say try all kinds of different poses and angles and see what you come up with. You may surprise yourself..thumb.gifwink

Kat
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    two things:

1 - I'm a big fan of a ridiculously narrow depth of field, so I'm happy thumb.gif

2 - Before I saw this I was thinking of shooting some ukuleles because between my friends and I we have all the ukes: soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone. Just call us "TC and the Cupcakes"! After seeing this, however, I probably won't because I don't want to encroach on your theme ;)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!