Options

Photoshop Frustrations

capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Finishing School
I am using CS3, and I'm trying to blur a background. I tried to use the blur tool, but it tells me every time that it won't work due to a "program error." The same is true of my clone tool, by the way.

Any ideas? The error really is no more specific than that.

What in the world causes a tool to just stop functioning? And how do I fix it?? :dunno

Thanks in advance.

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.

Comments

• Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Best way to blur a background is in camera. mwink.gif Most attempts I've seen in PS look fake...

But, since you asked...

I'd duplicate the layer, put a Gaussian blur on it, so it's blurred to the degree that you want, then either cut out what you want in focus, or brush it out with the eraser tool...

As for the error... no clue. Can you take a screenshot and post it here...
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    I have a thread about blurring backgrounds here that is similar to what du8die alluded to.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Your computer may not be powerful enough. I've had trouble when using a computer that isn't quite up to demands of CS3. Since it will be awhile before I can replace the computer, I have found ways to work around the problem.

It helps not to let work files get too large or not to work very, very fast which puts heavy demands on memory. Because I have to live with my computer a while longer, I have developed a workflow to reduce the problem. This basically involves frequent saving to preserve layers (the goal is to allow me to go back and fix things even after I am well along in my post processing) then merging layers to keep the file size manageable. I do not work in 16 bit. (Boy, do I want a new computer!!)

Anytime my program gets wonky, I save what I am working on (if it will let me) then close all open programs and reboot. This has pretty much always worked for me.

Good luck. I know it is very, very frustrating.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    I am using CS3, and I'm trying to blur a background. I tried to use the blur tool, but it tells me every time that it won't work due to a "program error." The same is true of my clone tool, by the way.

Any ideas? The error really is no more specific than that.

What in the world causes a tool to just stop functioning? And how do I fix it?? ne_nau.gif

Thanks in advance.

As others have pointed out, the blur tool is not the best way to blur a background. If you need to do it in post, blur a duplicate layer, then use a mask to hide the area you want to appear sharp.

As for the error, I think we would need to know more about your setup and the history of the problem. Did it used to work and now it doesn't? What other tools show the same problem? It would help if you posted a screen shot of the error message--try to make sure that the layers palette is visible. One wild guess is that you are so low on disk space that PS can't save the history...try reducing the number of history states in your preferences and see if that helps.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Manually trash or reset your application prefs when launching the application* (perhaps backup your prefs first as this does not alwayst fix things).

*Hold down the three modifier keys Ctrl-Alt-Shift in Windows (Command-Option-Shift on the Mac) while starting up Photoshop (or other Adobe apps).

Google has much more info, this is a very common issue (so common that if you still have probs, it can sometimes be harder to find a deeper fix apart from a reinstall).

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    I'd go with re-setting the Preferences, but I can't help commenting on the use of the Blur tool on background. The Blur tool is almost useless unless you are blurring a small detail. There are so many better ways to blur a background.

The best way is to blur a complete layer with a Gaussian blur and then create a mask to isolate the foreground. If the user hasn't mastered masking, at least create a selection of the foreground and apply a Gaussian blur to the balance of the layer.

Some knowledge and practice is involved in creating a selection, but there are so many times that a selection is needed that it's worth the trouble to learn.
    There are many ways to create a selection, and each should be learned.

I hope I don't have to mention that any alterations should be done on a duplicate layer and that the results should be "saved as" so the original file is in the original form.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    :DWent thru the clone tool problem....It's operater error!

With the clone tool selected...hold down the alt key and click with the mouse to select the sampled area...then click-hold (drag) to clone.
  • Options
    capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    du8die wrote:
    Best way to blur a background is in camera. mwink.gif Most attempts I've seen in PS look fake...

But, since you asked...

I'd duplicate the layer, put a Gaussian blur on it, so it's blurred to the degree that you want, then either cut out what you want in focus, or brush it out with the eraser tool...

As for the error... no clue. Can you take a screenshot and post it here...

Thanks for all the pointers on how to use/fix the tool. I'm going to try them out.

Du8due, I'd love to post a screen shot. I have always wondered how to do it. How do I?

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Thanks for all the pointers on how to use/fix the tool. I'm going to try them out.

Du8due, I'd love to post a screen shot. I have always wondered how to do it. How do I?

Press the "PRT SCN" key on your keyboard. On most keyboards it's the key right above the INSERT key. Mine is labeled "Prt Scn" and "SysRq". You have copied a view of the screen.

Go to Photoshop, open a new file, and PASTE (Control V). You've now pasted an image of the screen in the new file. Crop that to what is important, save as a .jpg, and then treat it the same way you would treat any .jpg to post it.

Above is for a PC. Macs may be different, but try it anyway.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/