Options

Sailboat Racing

SurfCityRacingSurfCityRacing Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 16, 2009 in Sports
Hello,
Complete N00B here. I've always been interested in photography and finally ponied up the $$ to get a decent kit. I'm using a Canon 40D with a 70-200 IS Zoom and a polarizing filter. I'm shooting from a small Skiff in usually pretty rough and windy conditions. The first problem I had was keeping the spray off the lens. I mostly left the camera in auto mode, but ventured into shutter priority mode just to see what happens. Anyway, this is what I pulled off the first time on the water. Suggestions and criticisms are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Jeremy

557856262_ppBDn-L.jpg

557855945_vKUQe-L.jpg

557856176_pJTM2-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TosserTosser Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Looks good. I'm a sailboat racer, so I'd recommend getting downwind of the windward mark and catch the boats rounding and hoisting the spinnakers. The go below the downwind mark and get them taking them down. Most of the good action is at the corners. Watch for the boats screwing up. Lots of drama there.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Tosser wrote:
    Looks good. I'm a sailboat racer, so I'd recommend getting downwind of the windward mark and catch the boats rounding and hoisting the spinnakers. The go below the downwind mark and get them taking them down. Most of the good action is at the corners. Watch for the boats screwing up. Lots of drama there.

Good call! This was a 65 mile distance race so no marks...but next regatta I'm on it.
    Thanks!
    J
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Was that the Ditch?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Tosser wrote:
    Was that the Ditch?

Yep. I was technically a safety boat for the smaller sailboats, but I snapped a few pics between incidents.

J
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    A friend of mine from Seattle sailed it last year on his Rocket 22. Said he had a blast. Lots of spinnaker work.
  • Options
    RockHead-MARockHead-MA Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I shoot a lot of sailing.Here's my free advice, FWIW!

You could get closer -more faces.

Try to narrow down your depth of field a bit. The first one (of the Hobie) is better, with the background out of focus and attention on the crew. The last one has the background way too much as part of the photo.

Lighting is a b*tch, because races are when they are, no waiting for good light. Try positioning yourself at different angles to the sun for different effects.

Take a look at some of the best marine shooters for inspiration. Google Carlo Borlenghi for one. Amazing stuff. Onne Van der Walle. Peter Lyons is doing some good stuff. Classics are Rosenfeld and Bekins.

I've got some stuff I'm rather fond of here.

Shoot alot, try lots of things and find what appeals to your eye.
    My SmugMug
    Nikon D40, 18-55, 70-300