Calibration

2»

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Just remind me, Mary, with reference to pics #1 & #2, which state of the monitor, calibrated or default, are you getting the pink grays?

#2 looks like my images when I was also getting pink grays, ie more saturation and contrast, overall a 'darker' look.

Of the two, to my eyes, #1 looks more like I would expect to see on my monitor, which has been software calibrated only, but which I have some confidence in because it compares well with other monitors I see the same images on, and with prints. As well, in PS this monitor seems to correspond well with the numbers.

Perhaps after all this so far, the best thing for you might be to call in professional help (eg a good local professional photog, or even a Dell expert if one is not too far away, or someone who teaches this stuff at the local uni or college), get everything right, and learn how to do that, and then carry on. It's difficult to diagnose and explain what's happening when two sets of eyes are seeing things differently, what is significant, what is not, which settings in which places are critical, what has been overlooked until someone else is right in front of your setup.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Ziggy --- thank you for the information,...as for the photo...they looked totally different to me before I saw they were the same. Amazing how the eye can fool someone. I think I know which direction I need to go now -- point and shoot camera rolleyes1.gif Just kidding :D

Neil -- I'm contacting Dell as they said they would help me calibrate my monitor. I thought for sure I could do it on my own. I know its hard to help someone when your not sitting next to them seeing the same thing. My cheap Sony monitor was so much easier to calibrate -- Thanks Bill for helping me with that thumb.gif

I'm getting the pink with the calibrated monitor. Default looks good -- really good only its bright which would make sense on my darkening the photo in editing along with popping up the saturation.

#1 photo was so hard to edit because it looked flat and gray in CS3 as did all my photos on the calibrated monitor. Is that whats suppose to happen with a calibrated monitor? I don't know..maybe its a "get use to it" thing. Now on my uncalibrated monitor it looks really flat.

Hopefully Dell will be some help -- I can only "Hope" :D
    edited June 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ziggy --- thank you for the information,...as for the photo...they looked totally different to me before I saw they were the same. Amazing how the eye can fool someone. I think I know which direction I need to go now -- point and shoot camera rolleyes1.gif Just kidding :D

Neil -- I'm contacting Dell as they said they would help me calibrate my monitor. I thought for sure I could do it on my own. I know its hard to help someone when your not sitting next to them seeing the same thing. My cheap Sony monitor was so much easier to calibrate -- Thanks Bill for helping me with that thumb.gif

I'm getting the pink with the calibrated monitor. Default looks good -- really good only its bright which would make sense on my darkening the photo in editing along with popping up the saturation.

#1 photo was so hard to edit because it looked flat and gray in CS3 as did all my photos on the calibrated monitor. Is that whats suppose to happen with a calibrated monitor? I don't know..maybe its a "get use to it" thing. Now on my uncalibrated monitor it looks really flat.

Hopefully Dell will be some help -- I can only "Hope" :D

Yes, it's all a real "education", isn't it!

Of course your images are going to look somewhat lacking without post processing, that's the point!:D

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Yes, it's all a real "education", isn't it!

Of course your images are going to look somewhat lacking without post processing, that's the point!:D

I think I'd rather be taking the SAT tests rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I think I'd rather be taking the SAT tests rolleyes1.gif

Well, Mary, you rightly have a point!rolleyes1.gif