Little fast boat

eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
one from the w/end, snapped him from the balcony of my hotel room...

558976631_FweQf-L.jpg

enjoy

E
If you can't see the bright side of life...
POLISH THE DARK SIDE

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    I think this shot has great potential. It would benefit from having the subject placed just about anywhere but in the center. Understand now, I violate the " rules " concerning composition probably more than anyone else on this forum. In this case, however, the difference in where you have the subject and where it should ideally be is quite dramatic. You had a good eye to catch this scene....play around with positioning and you'll see a big difference in the impact of the photo.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Tom, could you edit one up and show me what you would do with it... I'm still a noob when it comes to compne_nau.gif

I've linked the photo to a higher res version...

E
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    eMOJO wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Tom, could you edit one up and show me what you would do with it...

I'm not Tom, but here is a cropped version which uses the rule of thirds, sort of.

IMHO, always give a moving subject somewhere to go in the frame. Don't frame/crop it so that it looks like they are about to run, walk, ski, drive, jump, etc. right out of the frame. YMMV

559770059_WY9GB-M.jpg

558976631_FweQf-L.jpg

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Yep that helps thumb.gif
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I think Randy's selection of placing the subject, in this case, is the most appropriate choice. His other advice on subject placement is also pretty much right-on. As someone new to the art of photography, you would benefit greatly from reading a book, or two, on proper composition. There are times,obviously, when the " rules " may not be the best path to follow...but, for the most part, adherence to good, sound composition guidelines will produce a greater number of pleasing photos.

Good shooting,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.