Monster Muzzle Flash

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was out with some friends yesterday shooting full auto MP5s and AR-15s. This little AR-15 was modified to created a huge muzzle flash. I don't know how it was done. The second image (with the flash) has NOT been Photoshopped. It took me 5 tries with my Nikon D300 shooting at about 4-6 frames per second to catch this.

At rest:
558424680_3Hc39-L.jpg

Agitated:
558422653_r4KYd-L.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Hi Jeff,

Zounds!!! That's quite a muzzle flash.....and a very nice capture. I'm curious as to why one would want to try and produce such a flash. Perhaps they're trying to scare the target to death in case they miss him with the bullets?

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Score! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Awesome stuff!
    I wonder how it looks in the dark hopefully complete with the tracer ammo...eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Awesome Jeff! thumb.gif Are you sure it wasn't modified to become a quasi flame thrower? rolleyes1.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Dayum . ! . ! You caught three ejected casings in the air.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Icebear wrote:
    Dayum . ! . ! You caught three ejected casings in the air.

Yeah, that little tiger was spitting them out pretty dang fast. 1/1250 sec worked quite well.
    Jeff Meyers
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Oh ya!!!! Very cool!! I have a similar photo taken while shooting my Taurus 454 Casull Raging Bull at night. I would post that photo if you don't mind Jeff, but I don't want to high jack your thread. I could just make another post.
    Yours is a great capture!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited June 10, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Oh ya!!!! Very cool!! I have a similar photo taken while shooting my Taurus 454 Casull Raging Bull at night. I would post that photo if you don't mind Jeff, but I don't want to high jack your thread. I could just make another post.
    Yours is a great capture!!

Ron

Post it!
    Jeff Meyers
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Thanks Jeff!!
    There is a long story behind this gun, but the short of it is that it belonged to my nephew, Shaun Lunt, who died a year ago this last Saturday when the Piper SuperCub he was piloting crashed up in Alaska. I had the opportunity to shoot this gun and others with Shaun one afternoon, several years ago. We had a great time. Shaun's dad gave me this gun shortly after his death. It is most treasured!!

This is a picture of Shaun a couple of years ago with his SuperCub and the Raging Bull in a shoulder holster.
    336719787_EroQu-L.jpg

This was taken last summer on a camping trip. The gun was shot by my daughters boyfriend. I had my Sony A700 set up on a tripod prefocused and used bulb mode. It was pitch dark out so I did not have to worry much about light. Just open the shutter, shoot, and close the shutter. What amazed me was all of the color in the flash. I have added nothing. I hope you like it.

340437713_aPFMi-L.jpg

Shaun really liked photography and did a good job. If interested, you could follow this link and see some of his work.
    http://shaunlunt.typepad.com/

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited June 10, 2009
    Wow. That is a great night shot, Ron. Thanks for posting it!
    Jeff Meyers
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Very cool shots...I'm inspired! I'll post up when that inspiration comes to fruition. :)