Options

1st Motorcycle shoot

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Sports
After the first hour or so I got the hang of the panning etc and well as I said in my other thread I am looking to really expand my range now (I spent the last 5 months working on a senior thesis for my BFA locked into 1 series so I have tons of things to experiment now and alot of motivation) Any advice on shooting this sort of subject would also be greatly appreciated

552169103_VDxfh-XL.jpg

552240531_Jxiqg-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Panning is huge fun, the shoot to kill ratio is low but when you get a good one it's worth it.
    Both shots are good but the first one benefits from better composition.
  • Options
    Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Panning is tough for sure, looks like you have a good handle on it
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Good Shots & I agree #1 has better composition.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Good panning shots. I try to pick a place were panning does not have to much back ground noise. But that is not allways an option. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Another great tip for getting great panning shots.
    Continuous shutter. I don't use it much anymore just because of memory space. But getting a good pace with the subject and pressing the shutter before the spot where you want the shot and releasing a few clicks after will reduce the introduction of shake from pressing the shutter in the shots from the middle of the burst.

Is that a run on sentence or what? I hope it makes sense.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    xtnomad wrote:
    Good panning shots. I try to pick a place were panning does not have to much back ground noise. But that is not allways an option. thumb.gif

Thanks, I was very limited in my locations but as for the panning itself by the end I basically would get 1 good shot per 3-5 shot burst as a bike went by and I finally understood why people might want more than 5FPS
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    The best investment I ever made was buying a VR lens! Dropping the shutter way down was alot easier and you get alot more keepers! But regardless - A blurry picture of a Ducati 1098 is better then no picture! Yours is nice and sharp which makes it even better!!! Practicing is fun when it comes to this stuff! A day at the track is better then.... You know the rest!
    ...more to come!