Grand Teton NP

GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited June 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are some shots from a trip to Grand Teton NP last September. The weather was nice, but a few clouds in the sky would have been a plus. C&C welcome.

Schwabacher Landing:
558821865_4rwVd-L.jpg
558830093_uJgua-L.jpg
558832602_reyUv-L.jpg
558840966_XS9SE-L.jpg
558840194_953e6-L.jpg

Mormon Row:
559722239_vM42t-L.jpg
558862229_bGfRJ-L.jpg
558867975_gbCbr-XL.jpg
558870833_ki6eM-L.jpg

Snake River Overlook
558875991_ekiX6-L.jpg

Photos taken with a Nikon D40X and the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Beautiful series, Garrett! I love the Tetons. I know all these places well. My favorite are your shots of Mormon row. I think you could try a little highlight recovery to darken the sky and lit mountain tops a bit.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful series, Garrett! I love the Tetons. I know all these places well. My favorite are your shots of Mormon row. I think you could try a little highlight recovery to darken the sky and lit mountain tops a bit.
    Thanks for input. I'm using Lightroom 1.x so my highlight recovery affects the entire image and tends to darken the foreground more than I like. Maybe it's time to upgrade mwink.gif .
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Garrett wrote:
    Thanks for input. I'm using Lightroom 1.x so my highlight recovery affects the entire image and tends to darken the foreground more than I like. Maybe it's time to upgrade mwink.gif .

Yes, upgrade...the recovery tool alone is worth the price of admission :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great series of photos here. I really like #7 a lot. I agree with Mahesh's comments also. I really like the reflection in the first picture as the detail of the mountains is very clear in the reflection. I do think this could be corrected with LR2. Trying HDR may tame it a bit also.

Still, I enjoyed your photos a lot.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Nice set of images. We're planning a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons this September. I'll be thrilled if I come away with images like these. Nice work thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • RaymondPhotosRaymondPhotos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great photos. My favorite is #7
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Very nice series indeed.

Due to the comp, #8 gets my favorite vote thumb.gif

Thanks for posting.
    Randy
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great photos. I love #8 especially.
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Would a circular polarizer have helped bring some color to the sky and contrast to the mountains? Basically, would using a CP be a no-brainer for situations like this?
    edited June 10, 2009
    It looks like you were at right angle to the sun so yes a polarizer whould have helped. What would have helped more with the dynamic range between mountains and foreground would have been a graduated ND filter. Previous posters have suggested doing the correction in LR or using HDR to the same end. But by reducing the DR in the field with a GND gives you even more flexibility in post processing.
    Dan

edited June 10, 2009
    It looks like you were at right angle to the sun so yes a polarizer whould have helped. What would have helped more with the dynamic range between mountains and foreground would have been a graduated ND filter. Previous posters have suggested doing the correction in LR or using HDR to the same end. But by reducing the DR in the field with a GND gives you even more flexibility in post processing.
    Thanks for the tip articblooms. I've been eyeing the Cokin z-pro holder and some Singh-Ray 4x6 filters for a while now. Any recommendations on grad ND filters that are a little more budget friendly? I've read that the cokin ND's give an undesirable colorcast. Also, the two vertical schwabacher landing shots (2. and 3.) were 2 exposures blended in PS. That was my only option for getting the foreground and reflection exposed without blowing out the mountains and sky. A grad ND would have been handy.
    edited June 10, 2009
    I use Cokin GND and a three stop ND. My experience has been that there is no perceptible color cast for short exposure times. I have experience color shifts on longer exposures. Here's a link to an image similar to yours taken with a Cokin GND with no perceptible color cast. On the other hand, you can read more about a problem I had with the Cokin 3-stop ND in this thread.
    Dan

• Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Beautiful series, Garrett. Grand Teton is my second favorite park (next to Yellowstone); I know all the places you shot well. The mountains in the Schwabacher shots seem to be a little too light on my screen; as arcticblooms suggested, a GND would probably have helped out. My favorite shots are the two vertical Schwabacher shots and the Snake River Overlook shot. Thanks for sharing.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir