How long will a Canon XSI last

MossbackMossback Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited June 11, 2009 in Cameras
It is my understanding after so many pictures......it goes to Canon camera heaven?

Any insights are appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    Mossback wrote:
    It is my understanding after so many pictures......it goes to Canon camera heaven?

All cameras have a finite lifetime. Older film cameras rarely reached their maximum number of actuations because of the cost of film and processing. Modern digital cameras, especially dSLRs, are comparatively easy to shoot like crazy and use up a camera in short order.

The primary concerns are the shutter box and mirror box assemblies. These are where most of the moving parts are and often when one fails it is prudent to replace the other. Exactly when it will fail is anyone's guess but most cameras are measured in terms of "actuations".

Electronic circuits and controls are also potential failure points as are batteries and accessories. The more severe weather and temperature extremes you subject your equipment to, the greater the likelihood of problems.

It would appear that the Canon XSi has a shutter mechanism rated for somewhere around 50,000 actuations. (The actual rating is not public but the XT and XTi were each rated for 50,000 so it seems reasonable to assume the XSi is similar.)

That does not mean you will actually get 50,000 actuations before the camera fails. It may be more and it may be less. I am betting that the vast majority will fail at between 25,000 and 75,000 actuations.

If you are shooting for hire then it should be a concern. If you are shooting for your own enjoyment it should not be much of a concern. In either case, plan ahead for the eventuality and do carry a backup of some sort because eventually failure will occur. The extent you should backup depends upon the value of what you shoot and the ability to reshoot.

For paying gigs I would not approach them without competent backup for both camera and lens(es). For personal stuff I often just take a P&S.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Mossback wrote:

Just like a car, after so many miles things are more likely to break. Anything can be repaired too, but you have to judge the costs.

50K is a lot of shooting and should not be a concern. You will either get rid of the camera then, or have made more than enough money with it to buy a new one.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Just like a car, after so many miles things are more likely to break. Anything can be repaired too, but you have to judge the costs.

50K is a lot of shooting and should not be a concern. You will either get rid of the camera then, or have made more than enough money with it to buy a new one.

hmmm that is fewer then I had imagined. Even at 1500 actuations a month that is only around 3 years?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • future_perfectfuture_perfect Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    All the advice that's been given so far sounds good. Less scientifically, I have a digital Rebel XT which I purchased in June of 2006 and is still going strong. I've been using it for everything from personal snapshots to occasional equestrian and dance photography jobs. I don't think it's quite reached the 50,000 mark, but I've never had a problem with it and I'm hoping for it to last for a while yet.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    A good friend used a Rebel XT, putting over 100K on it before the shutter button (not the mirror or shutter mechanism) failed. He used that as an excuse to move to a 40D.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    till it breaks.

Sooooooooo Truuuuuuuuuuuuuurolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    and that will be at the most inopportune time!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    hmmm that is fewer then I had imagined. Even at 1500 actuations a month that is only around 3 years?

Hmm. If you are shooting casually I don't think you will consistently hit even 500 a month.

After 3 years the cameras fall in value drastically, so you could buy the same camera cheap.

After 3 years the technology changes drastically. So you could sell and upgrade.

If you are shooting pro you will be able to afford to replace it.

If you are shooting as a serious hobbyist, as with many hobbies you have to expect these kinds of costs. Besides a serious hobbyist, to me, desires upgrades more quickly than the pro.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    This raises an interesting point. When I upgraded to my xsi (purchased last November, and currently at about 18k shots - yikes!) I thought long and hard about whether the longevity factor would/should/could be an issue, particularly in regard to the plastic vs metal body build of the 40d (the other camera I was considering)

In the end, I decided that the product life cycle would probably be about the same as the technology life cycle, and therefore it's not the same kind of issue it would have been with a film camera where the life expectancy might be measured in decades rather than years. Now, if I was shelling out $2k+ for one of the pro-level models I might feel differently, but given the relatively low cost of the consumer cameras, I suspect that upgrading will be likely within three years anyway, so buying for long-term build quality seemed a lesser concern.

At the moment, I just kind of hope that I run through the shutter life while it's still under its 1st year warrantee so I can get it fixed before it's on my dime! :D