Minnesota Northshore

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited June 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi gang. Dave V, Grimace and I along with some others went up north this past weekend for a fun time. No sleep per se but that's what landscaping is all about :D. Everyone came away with wonderful images. Thought to share some with you. We had a Native American guide take us to sacred ground and shoot the Spirit Tree. Was a lovely setting.

558147686_cGxye-XL.jpg

558149238_sy6fC-L.jpg

#3 Cascade Falls

558150609_QuoWz-L.jpg

#4 Grand Marias Harbor

558152950_EFbsZ-L.jpg

#5 Mid section of Cascade

558151915_tuABp-L.jpg

#6 Spirit Tree

558148534_7ChzP-L.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    That's a great series, Swartzy! What a wonderful tree...oh the compositional possibilities! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    That's Minnesota? No way. :nah

Hehe, just kidding. Awesome series, Swartzy. thumb.gifthumb

They're all so good, but I think I like the perspective and colors in the last one best. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    That's a great series, Swartzy! What a wonderful tree...oh the compositional possibilities! :D

Thanks Mahesh! Was a wonderful time up there. I don't get to get out much for landscapes these days (although I need to change that..Laughing.gif).
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 10, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    That's Minnesota? No way. :nah

Hehe, just kidding. Awesome series, Swartzy. thumb.gifthumb

They're all so good, but I think I like the perspective and colors in the last one best. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel! I too really like the painterly feel of that last one myself. It's simple yet elegant me thinks :D Of course I'm always partial to the Cascade waterfall...Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    3 and 6 do it for me. clap.gif

Dan
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    That sounds like a really awesome time. Even if you saw nothing interesting that weekend you could do a lot worse with the company :D

But you did get some great shots. I think the waterfall is one of the prettiest I've ever seen, even if it's not as grand as Niagara. Something about the way the water is falling in several directions is just perfect to the eye.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Swartzy, I'm well out of reach so I can dare some critique???mwink.gif

I have an itsy bit of suspicion that, though your PP talents are formidable, you might not quite have hit the exact right note with some of these??? (Hope you feel my caution???thumb.gif)

But first congratulations on these fine shots, most are splendid. clap.gif

All the more reason why I feel this itsy bit of pain about some of them...

The silhouette is a great success! You couldn't want more from it.

#4 is nice, competent but a little anonymous/generic, and you have of course every right!

The flossy water of the waterfalls is as well done as I've ever seen it. But in those shots, and in #s 1 & 6, to me, there is so much detail, texture, and indeed, life lying dormant.

In #s 1 & 6, the dramatic, choreographic twisting that electrifies that tree is almost obscure in shadow. The foliage which it charges and which discharges that energy into the sky, is almost gloomy. To me, there is an opportunity to contrast the creeping-night with the earth-spiritual-fire that the tree is drawing up from the rocks like a lightning rod, upwards to light the moon!

I know I could make that happen in post, and that's not a brag. That's to say that so could you!:ivar

Best.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Lovely set of images. And I thought all there was to shoot in Minnesota were loons ne_nau.gif I agree with Schmoo on the curves/character of the waterfall. And that tree is awesome against the pastel sky and the still water. Nice job thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 10, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Swartzy, I'm well out of reach so I can dare some critique???mwink.gif

I have an itsy bit of suspicion that, though your PP talents are formidable, you might not quite have hit the exact right note with some of these??? (Hope you feel my caution???thumb.gif)

But first congratulations on these fine shots, most are splendid. clap.gif

All the more reason why I feel this itsy bit of pain about some of them...

The silhouette is a great success! You couldn't want more from it.

#4 is nice, competent but a little anonymous/generic, and you have of course every right!

The flossy water of the waterfalls is as well done as I've ever seen it. But in those shots, and in #s 1 & 6, to me, there is so much detail, texture, and indeed, life lying dormant.

In #s 1 & 6, the dramatic, choreographic twisting that electrifies that tree is almost obscure in shadow. The foliage which it charges and which discharges that energy into the sky, is almost gloomy. To me, there is an opportunity to contrast the creeping-night with the earth-spiritual-fire that the tree is drawing up from the rocks like a lightning rod, upwards to light the moon!

I know I could make that happen in post, and that's not a brag. That's to say that so could you!:ivar

Best.

Neil

Thanks Neil. Although your eloquent verbage makes for a pontificator's poetic short story, I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. "The folaige charges and discharges that energy into the sky"? The entire point of the Spirit tree is capturing it's mood in given light. As spirits ourselves in this material world, we are both vibrant at times, moody at times, even solomn...even gloomy. Sometimes we are still in the presence of magnificent light and is a good lesson for each to not put the focus on ourselves but behold the source of "light". These photos in my mind demonstrate that objective. But without even thinking about the deep philosophical interpretations often a photograph is simply allowed to be "pretty" without one's desire it to be something other than what it is.

I could process these in 500 variations..but why not simply enhance what was captured at the time and enjoy God's beauty preserved from that isolated moment in time?
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 10, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Neil. Although your eloquent verbage makes for a pontificator's poetic short story, I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. "The folaige charges and discharges that energy into the sky"? The entire point of the Spirit tree is capturing it's mood in given light. As spirits ourselves in this material world, we are both vibrant at times, moody at times, even solomn...even gloomy. Sometimes we are still in the presence of magnificent light and is a good lesson for each to not put the focus on ourselves but behold the source of "light". These photos in my mind demonstrate that objective. But without even thinking about the deep philosophical interpretations often a photograph is simply allowed to be "pretty" without one's desire it to be something other than what it is.

I could process these in 500 variations..but why not simply enhance what was captured at the time and enjoy God's beauty preserved from that isolated moment in time?

Ouch!! I didn't think you were so close. One thing to disagree. Quite another to ridicule.

I was talking about your images, not preaching a religion.

Of course, you can do with them as you please. Nothing otherwise was suggested.

I guess it would benefit to rethink why you put your stuff here?

Now that's rather plain, I think.

These images don't do much for me, that's also rather plain. And not quite what I want to say. But I said what I wanted to say. Unfortunately, apparently.

edited June 10, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Ouch!! I didn't think you were so close. One thing to disagree. Quite another to ridicule.

Of course, you can do with them as you please. Nothing otherwise was suggested.

I guess it would benefit to rethink why you put your stuff here?

Now that's rather plain, I think.

These images don't do much for me, that's also rather plain. And not quite what I want to say. But I said what I wanted to say. Unfortunately, apparently.

Neil, I am sorry you took it that way..that was not and is not my intent. Nor, was I ridiculing you whatsoever. I simply tried to explain my line of reasoning as to why I didn't process these in some other manner other than enhance what was there....for a specific reason. Just step back a minute and re-read what you wrote. It was not plain and I re-read it 5 times....and that's fine...no problems here...I was simply trying to figure out your point about what you would have done differently...and to that end could not make heads or tails of it. Sorry you don't like them. Most will and do. I didn't mean to offend.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 10, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Neil, I am sorry you took it that way..that was and is not my intent. Nor, was I ridiculing you whatsoever. I simply tried to explain my line of reasoning as to why I didn't process these in some other manner other than enhance what was there....for a specific reason. Just step back a minute and re-read what you wrote. It was not plain and I re-read it 5 times....and that's fine...no problems here...I was simply trying to figure out your point about what you would have done differently...and to that end could not make heads or tails of it. Sorry you don't like them. Most will and do. I didn't mean to offend.

Thanks!

Now you step back and read. I didn't say I didn't like them, quite the contrary. However, I want them to do more for me. When I look at these, I see so much that I think could and should contribute much more to much more striking work.

If you didn't want to convey a sense of something spiritual with that tree then I have misinterpreted what you've done here, and therefore what I said would not have made sense. I don't know how simple or sophisticated a mind you have. I just honestly do the best I can to express an idea.

You come across as prejudiced against some kinds of personality, which jars.

I'd rather be more relaxed and accommodating. I have often commented with appreciation on your posts, as I did here, a fact not to be undervalued, I think.

edited June 10, 2009
    If you didn't want to convey a sense of something spiritual with that tree then I have misinterpreted what you've done here, and therefore what I said would not have made sense.

Oh the joys of conveying concepts on the internet :D That is exactly it Neil...I wasn't trying to create some mystical scene with meaning of the tree. It's called Spirit tree....and resides on sacred Native American ground. We were fortunate to have a guide take us there and photograph it at sunrise. I could put clouds, star trails, planets and numerous elements to convey something but that isn't what it's about.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 10, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I could put clouds, star trails, planets and numerous elements to convey something but that isn't what it's about.

Yes, it wouldn't have been what it was about for me, either.eek7.gifwink

edited June 11, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    That sounds like a really awesome time. Even if you saw nothing interesting that weekend you could do a lot worse with the company :D

But you did get some great shots. I think the waterfall is one of the prettiest I've ever seen, even if it's not as grand as Niagara. Something about the way the water is falling in several directions is just perfect to the eye.

Thanks Schmoo....Yes, the company...Laughing.gif WHat a hoot. I shot that waterfall a couple years ago as well and have it on the wall. The water levels were up this year and couldn't get over to the right like last time for a different perspective..water was way too deep :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 11, 2009
    Lovely set of images. And I thought all there was to shoot in Minnesota were loons ne_nau.gif I agree with Schmoo on the curves/character of the waterfall. And that tree is awesome against the pastel sky and the still water. Nice job thumb.gif

Thanks Articblooms. We were all hoping for some clouds that the sun would illuminate/generate incredible colors but guess it wasn't meant to be. It is fun to see all the different compositions and processing from the 8 other photographers present.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 11, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    3 and 6 do it for me. clap.gif

Dan

Thanks Dan.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com