Options

Using Own name - Advantage or disadvantage?

zedELzedEL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited June 15, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Many of us are registered on few other sites.
Question I have:

is it better to be registered under the same your own name or nickname on all photo sites,... OR under different nicknames ?
I guess an advantage could be, that your own name gets exposure, instead of hiding it behind a nickname.

On the other hand, if somebody finds your image on smugmug or elsewhere for a higher print cost, and he knows your name, he/she can go to istockphoto or shutterstock, search for your name, find this same image and download for almost nothing.

is it OK to use your own name(or at least part of it) or better to use different nicknames ?

Does using your own name everywhere gives a real exposure OR is it disadvantage ?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Many of us are registered on few other sites.
    Question I have:

is it better to be registered under the same your own name or nickname on all photo sites,... OR under different nicknames ?
    I guess an advantage could be, that your own name gets exposure, instead of hiding it behind a nickname.
    I wonder how much a print would fetch from PP81, or PabloRulz, or IPaintWierdWomen. If you are serious about selling photography, you have to be just like all the other companies out there and really concentrate on your branding. And in this case, your brand is you. You can't go around changing your name all the time and expect people to make the connection, it just won't work. So choose a name and stick with it whatever it is. Otherwise, every time you change names, you start from the ground floor in getting that name recognized for what it is you want it recognized for.

On the other hand, if somebody finds your image on smugmug or elsewhere for a higher print cost, and he knows your name, he/she can go to istockphoto or shutterstock, search for your name, find this same image and download for almost nothing.
    Now this should tell you right off the bat, in no uncertain terms, why you would never in a million years want to have this situation develop. Why, why, why would you have your work on those places? If you are serious about earning a living from your photography, you have to control who sells it and for what they sell it for. Ideally, you would be the sole source, if people want, they have to buy it from you. So do your damage control and start pulling your work from these places so you can regain some control.

Does using your own name everywhere gives a real exposure OR is it disadvantage ?
    You might want to ask Ansel Adams, Anne Geddes, or Galen Rowell...what's that you say? you recognize those names?!?! Hmmmmmmm mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    I understand what you're saying Shay about branding and exposure. I was thinking the same way, that's why I wanted some feedback.
    What you were saying is true for an event photographer like yourself. Because you're on the stage all the time, so to say.
    I, like many other here, are not doing any event photography, but are trying to use the power of the web to sell images, and preferably prints.
    For you, to have your name exposed everywhere is extremely important, because your name will be associated with event photography. I can imagine how many people from NY area are stumbling at your site, while looking for photographers in NYC.
    If I was you, I would have advertised on my car.

Now, are the same principle can be applied to the rest of us, just trying to sell good quality images through online galleries ??

When potential buyers are looking for specific images, do they have anybody in mind ? 99% probably don't.
    But on the other hand, if your name is poping up here and then somewhere else, then it gets noticed by these potential buyers, and next time they will be looking for your images and maybe will contact you directly.

So, I guess, the name is equally important, be it Smugmug or istock...

About using stockphoto sites.
    95% of us want to generate some cash, and for this reason we're trying different streams of income.
    If I could make a living just on Smugmug, I would never go to istock to give away my images for nothing.
    And this is the reason, that the "name" problem bothers me

But there are people on istock who make thousands of dollars creating generic images of everyday life and of ordinary objects. It's a game of numbers - the more images you create the more they sell.

Could others share with their tips and the ways they market their galleries on Smugmug ?
    Is it the right Keywords ?
    Is it advertising through Google ?
    To join free listings of art galleries ?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    People don't like to pay for generic products. But they usually will for name brand products. Why, because there is usually a quality and/or consistency that they can count on. With a generic no name product, it can be a coin toss as to if they will get something good.

So no matter what the product or service, people will look for a name, that name comforts them, they know what they will be getting.

But there are people on istock who make thousands of dollars creating generic images of everyday life and of ordinary objects. It's a game of numbers - the more images you create the more they sell.

They could make significantly more selling those very same photos themselves. I have sold some stock, and the few images I have licensed have made thousands of dollars. But stock is not my thing. If it were, I would be out shooting and then selling, promoting, and hunting down customers for my work. Not for Penny's, but for decent standard prices. Go pick up the book "Pricing Photography" third edition:
    http://www.allworth.com/Catalog/PH223.htm

It will open your eyes as to pricing, negotiating, and generally valuing your own work, and making that work benefit you by earning real profit instead of some stock house slave labor mwink.gif

Could others share with their tips and the ways they market their galleries on Smugmug ?
    Is it the right Keywords ?
    Is it advertising through Google ?
    To join free listings of art galleries ?
    Oops, sorry, didn't know you were done with me mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    sorry Shay for the last partmwink.gif

I should have started another thread about marketing.

...stock house slave labor..
    you got it right...exact word!
    Anyway, could you comment on what would you do to bring traffic to your gallery ?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    hehehe

Well, the best way I can think to drive customers to your site is to specialize in a certain kind of photography or subject and then carefully craft your search engine keywords and search terms. Your site has to be relevant to what they are looking for, and people usually are looking for specific things.

Advertising helps of course.

So does networking.

One thing is for sure, there is no easy, press a button, way to success. In photography, you have to work your butt off.
    elviz wrote:
    sorry Shay for the last partmwink.gif

I should have started another thread about marketing.

...stock house slave labor..
    you got it right...exact word!
    Anyway, could you comment on what would you do to bring traffic to your gallery ?