ever wonder about CF vs SD?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited June 9, 2009 in Cameras
A good article explaining the differences and also a database on cards speeds:

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

It appears that the camera body is the longest pole in the tent wrt to how fast data is transfered from the buffer to the actual card assuming you aren't comparing the slowest/oldest cards vs the newest fastest cards. For example the D200 maxes out around 10mbps while the d90 on similar cards can do almost double that.

I believe that card speed only comes into play:

1) you are shooting in burst mode. The camera stores the shot in buffers while at the same time transfer to the CF/SD. The buffer size is key, I noticed on my D200, shooting in RAW, it's about 20 frames. On my D90 it is 10 frames of RAW. Then you have to wait a sec or 2 before the camera will actuate again and will only actuate as memory clears from the buffer. I haven't tried jpg but I imagine you are never going to hit that buffer limit in 99% of real world cases. Note 20 frame burst is quite the burst. I can imagine serious sports users will hit that though.

2) download speed to computer. Cards readers and computers will effect this as well I imagine. This is a 2ndary issue for most I would think..most folks I would think start the download and go eat a sandwhich.

What I didn't see is the SDHC vs CF from the same camera body which would have been interesting.

What I conclude is that CF speeds are largely ignorable for most casual shooters. This is significant in that a Sandisk III 4gig card may sell for $30 whiel the sandisk IV 4 gig cards may sell for $60. It's really your camera body and buffer size that will be the real world limiters imo.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Thanks for that...based on Rob's study some time ago, I found a card that worked very well with my Rebel and my 40D (Sandisk Ultra II) and I have never been able to hit any buffer issue nor have I had to wait for the camera to write. It looks like the newer Extreme IVs even outpace the older model, so when it comes time for new cards, will likely review the site again.