Newborn Session - Selah Joy

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in People
Here's some shots of our friend's newborn. Selah Joy is 3 weeks and 3 days old today. First newborn shoot. She was not a happy camper tonight, but we got through it.

Details: Single 420ex into an umbrella triggered with the Cactus el cheapo remotes. Really the second time I've used these. Just figuring out how to do the off camera stuff.

C&C welcome and encouraged.

1)

559687958_VJPrG-M.jpg

2)
559687868_nwyFQ-M.jpg

3)
559687592_fXLb2-M.jpg

4)
559687700_wPFoR-M.jpg

5)
559687803_MXcMw-M.jpg
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    First shot doesn't quite work. I would maybe convert to black and white, get the hairy chin out of the top of the frame! The others look a bit hot in places, but are pretty good poses.

Hopefully you'll be able to shoot again soon since this is your friend. Work on getting the light softer. I know newborns on black are popular, but I've been really liking the more "environmental" or "lifestyle" look.

Caroline
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Great job. Got to say I love #5. I have never seen a shot with the rings on the toes. How cool!!! clap.gif
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I see an orange glow at the top of number 1. I recently just did the same thing and already delivered the photo to the client before I noticed it. I had to call the client and tell them I had something to fix on thier photo.

I would like to see a bit of the background on 2 and 3. I understand you are trying to get the black background very black but, I'm not a big fan of baby floating in pictures.

I really like 4... the baby's exression is great.

I like the the rings on the toes also.

Great job for your first time clap.gifclap.gif

(I just remembered that the color on my laptop is a little darker than normal... so I'm not sure if your blacks are as black as I see them. If not please ignore my comment about 2 and 3)
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I like the photos, but there is something quite disconcerting about seeing a tiny new-born suspended in mid-air with no support.
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I hadn't noticed the chin in #1 - It was a crop anyway, and I must have just missed it.

We were going to pull out the blue-cloud ish backdrop, but she was fussy - so we decided to call it a night. The rings on the toes was their idea. Hopefully we'll have many more opportunities for more shots.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff