Options

Photo Autoloader for Photoshop?

QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi there,

I'm trying to streamline my workflow. I'm looking for a photo autoloader. Ideally I'd select the folder that I'd like to post-process, call upon my autoloader, it brings up the first photo, and after I edit and save and close, it automatically opens the next one in the folder for me in PS.

I've seen other folks use something like this but I can't seem to find one.

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    If you take advantage of the shortcuts for switching between Photoshop and Bridge, you can get close. For example,

1. View a folder in Bridge
    2. Select image, hit Return(Enter) key, it pops open in Photoshop
    3. Edit in Photoshop, then when done, hit Command(Control)-Shift-W (shortcut for File>Close and Go to Bridge), which pops you back into Bridge
    4. In Bridge, press arrow key to go to next file, hit Return key, repeat from step 3
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Have you tried File>Automate>Batch and Play/Actions ?

If you're basically doing the same thing to each picture, then it's pretty easy in PS to set up Actions and run them in batch.

You can also run the actions so that things like opening and saving the files are automatic, but the actions in the middle (tweaking, balancing, fixing etc.) can all be done interactively.

Hope this helps -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Hi Will!

Thanks for the reply. I do use Automate>Batch quite a bit.

I'm doing different things to each of the photos so I was hoping I could do my edit, save & close and have the next photo pop up for me to edit.

Is there nothing like that out there? Maybe not but just curious.

Gracias!
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Have you tried File>Automate>Batch and Play/Actions ?

If you're basically doing the same thing to each picture, then it's pretty easy in PS to set up Actions and run them in batch.

You can also run the actions so that things like opening and saving the files are automatic, but the actions in the middle (tweaking, balancing, fixing etc.) can all be done interactively.

Hope this helps -
    - Wil
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Hi there Colourbox!

Thanks for the reply. I've not really used Bridge, I'm a LR person. But maybe I can try it out for these purposes. Thanks for the idea!

~r
    colourbox wrote:
    If you take advantage of the shortcuts for switching between Photoshop and Bridge, you can get close. For example,

1. View a folder in Bridge
    2. Select image, hit Return(Enter) key, it pops open in Photoshop
    3. Edit in Photoshop, then when done, hit Command(Control)-Shift-W (shortcut for File>Close and Go to Bridge), which pops you back into Bridge
    4. In Bridge, press arrow key to go to next file, hit Return key, repeat from step 3
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 10, 2009
    Quitarita wrote:
    Hi there Colourbox!

Thanks for the reply. I've not really used Bridge, I'm a LR person. But maybe I can try it out for these purposes. Thanks for the idea!

~r

I do something similar to what colourbox describes. I keep Bridge and PS open on separate tabs (Windows, but the Dock in OS-X should work the same). After saving a file in PS, I switch to the Bridge tab and just right-click on the next thumb to open it in PS. It's pretty fast, though it does consume a little extra memory.

You can also double-click on the thumb to open it but in CS3 there is a gotcha: if you are using full logging in PS, double-clicking in Bridge does not show up as an Open File in the PS log, which makes the rest of the logging useless.
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Howdy.

Use a conditional action on the folder. It will open them in sequence, stop at the conditional step or steps, and close and save.

Example:

Action

1. Levels-Conditional
    2. Whatever
    3. Save
    4. Close

Moving today, or would give a better explanation.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    kirktkirkt Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2009
    Maybe this:

http://www.photoshoptools.ca/AutoLoader.html

I have not used it, but someone on another forum was pretty jazzed with it.

Kirk
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    OMG! I'm checking it out now... cool!

kirkt wrote:
    Maybe this:

http://www.photoshoptools.ca/AutoLoader.html

I have not used it, but someone on another forum was pretty jazzed with it.

Kirk